Would you recommend?

If I don't drive weekends, I would probably only need to charge it twice a week properly?

How much is it costing to charge it from home?

You'll find a pattern that suits you. I'm mindful that sometimes stuff happens, and we might need to jump in the car and take off on a journey we hadn't planned. I therefore won't let the charge drop below 50% without hooking it up for a night on the granny charger. There is a rapid charger within walking distance, so I could theoretically get a lot of charge in a hurry if need be, but I prefer to keep a range of 100 miles or so in the car just in case.
I
t was last charged overnight 29/30 May after coming back from Glasgow on about 42% charge, and if it wasn't for an upcoming trip it might sit there for another week from now, because it's still on 61%. What can I say, I'm retired.

However, obviously, I'll charge up full overnight if I have a longer trip planned, e.g. 11/12 June, as I have a trip of at least 130 miles planned for the 12th.

If I get home around 25% or less any time, I give the car 54 minutes on the rapid charger at the end of my road (the maximum allowed, which will do 20% to 85%) before I plug it into the granny charger to balance its cells. I've never yet had to do this, because I don't usually do two long trips on consecutive days, but since the rapid charger is only 30p a unit, why not?

But everybody's circumstances are different, and you'll find your own way by experimentation. Just don't leave yourself in the position where an emergency arises - or even you suddenly find out about something you really want to do some distance away at the last minute, as I did last Saturday - and your car's sitting there on 20%.

Does it significantly increase tarrifs during the day?

That's the crunch. But there are spreadsheets and calculators that let you calculate whether the payoff is worth it, and you can set your washing machine, dishwasher and even tumble drier to run overnight and get that on the cheap too.

Well I'm currently paying £250 including insurance on my current car and probably spending about £100+ on petrol a month, so I was hopeful that £250 lease with a wall charger would be a lot cheaper. I get that I need to fork out a £1000 for a charger but that's coming from the sale of my car so that doesn't count towards my monthly estimated savings.

Well I'm currently paying £250 including insurance on my current car and probably spending about £100+ on petrol a month, so I was hopeful that £250 lease with a wall charger would be a lot cheaper. I get that I need to fork out a £1000 for a charger but that's coming from the sale of my car so that doesn't count towards my monthly estimated savings.

I'd go for it, it's a brilliant car. I got mine in April and have no problems to report. LKA Lane Keep Assist Is annoying but is similar on most new cars nowadays, it can be toned down completely or turned off at startup.

There are a few software niggles, but these will likely be ironed out in time, such as Android Auto and Bluetooth not automatically connecting Every Time, First Time, but will usually always connect when prompted.

The car drives amazingly, I have the LR Trophy and was my first EV coming from a heavy diesel SUV, spending £160+ on diesel a month (around 20p per mile), and was extremely surprised at how well the MG4 drives and feels in the pilot seat. Now I spend less than 10p/mile, on a standard home tariff, until my OHME charger is fitted.

Take it for a lengthy test drive, half an hour at least, get it up to National Speed. You'll love it.

I've owned a honda civic 2.2 diesel from new since 2007. Loved it and still have it sittng I driveway despite buying a Trophy 3 months ago. More efficient on long trips especially south od border. Cost me at most 15p per mile ro run tops just considering fuel. If you have a home charger and are charging off peak then you will save a fortune in running costs. However if you are using public chargers at 80 to 90 p per kwh forget it. At the moment that's like paying £3 per litre which is currently under £1.40.

I've owned a honda civic 2.2 diesel from new since 2007. Loved it and still have it sittng I driveway despite buying a Trophy 3 months ago. More efficient on long trips especially south od border. Cost me at most 15p per mile ro run tops just considering fuel. If you have a home charger and are charging off peak then you will save a fortune in running costs. However if you are using public chargers at 80 to 90 p per kwh forget it. At the moment that's like paying £3 per litre which is currently under £1.40.

That's public Rapid Chargers price, but don't forget there are chargers around that will let you charge for free while you park, and often free parking in open air car parks. Most I've seen in my area is 30p/KWh for ~7KWH speed charger, quite a lot are free (when working)

Does it significantly increase tarrifs during the day?
For me its.... 7.5p per kw/h at between 00:30 04:30 then 47p per kw/h for the rest the 24 hour period

So as others say, if you can set timers for white appliances and be frugal with use during the day, you can certainly save. But your car, will be cheap to run for sure.

I do keep wondering about switching to octopus, they have better rates on EV and standing rates are also better than British Gas
All electricity rates are in flux at the moment so I'd wait until you know when you are getting the car and then start looking around.

I'm on a deal that ends next month, so will wait and see what the Meerkats can find. Don't like what EDF are going to offer me , 8p of peek for 35hrs a week, but 46p during the day compared to the 17p at the moment 😞

All electricity rates are in flux at the moment so I'd wait until you know when you are getting the car and then start looking around.
Good shout Ian. If you were to switch now you may end up on a higher fixed rate for a year than when things change in July.

These are my rates this afternoon on Agile Octopus - safe to say the car is charging and the washer and dishwasher are both on (y)
Screenshot 2023-06-10 at 14.05.26.jpg

I couldn't afford the two years unfortunately and my business miles have knocked the price down a bit. Going to see one in a garage tomorrow so can't wait.

Thanks very much everyone, you've convinced me haha, going to see one tomorrow at the garage.

Second hand cars seem to be holding their value really well, so I'm going to sell my honda and get an EV charger installed at my house. I also noticed you can charge cheaper during the night, so I will definitely be doing that.

I'm using some of the money I get from selling my car to install an EV charger. Then paying off my debt with the rest haha.

I was going to charge in the evening as it's cheaper when you do an ev tarrif I believe.

I do approxinately 60-70 miles a day, so I know I will need to charge a bit.
Octopus is one of the best EV electric home tariffs at the moment. If you go with them do’t forget to get a referral code from an existing user and you’ll get £50 towards your bill.

So I'm currently driving a Honda Civic and I've just started a new job as a community nurse and it's just too costly to run now.

I can see the MG4 Long Range Trophy is very affordable via lease and I'm tempted to get one.

However, I have seen so many negative post on the forum and it's making me unsure.

I would be getting it on lease for 4 years, so servicing, MOT, parts, insurance all included for £260 a month.
What a find, I have a MG ZS EV for £220 a month and that does not include service, go with it but try a price over 3 years if possible.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back