Would you recommend?

Everything was set to go off just before 16:00 ;)
Based on my calculations, I got 3.5 hours of charging, 24.80KwH used, which equates to 101 miles (via the GoM) at the cost of £0.30, or 0.3p per mile.
Doesnt happen often but I'm very happy with that !

Happy Pumped Up GIF by Universal Pictures Home Entertainment

32.9p is my ordinary non-variable tariff. (I thought it was 31p but it seems to have gone up.) I think I'll have some of the 30p stuff from the rapid charger, in that case! Apparently it's due to go down to 29.7p from next month. So that's a little bit of good news.

So I'm currently driving a Honda Civic and I've just started a new job as a community nurse and it's just too costly to run now.

I can see the MG4 Long Range Trophy is very affordable via lease and I'm tempted to get one.

However, I have seen so many negative post on the forum and it's making me unsure.

I would be getting it on lease for 4 years, so servicing, MOT, parts, insurance all included for £260 a month.
I've had my MG4 (SE) since December and am still loving it. So yes, go for it!

I would snap their hand off at that price ! £260pm is a great deal - how much advance rental (deposit !) is required? With maintenance & over 48 months I've been quoted £405pm, a big difference to your deal ! Would be grateful to tell us who / what your deal came from - I could happily give them my business. I too have had misgivings re the MG4, but there are many satisfied drivers out there too, so go for it, especially at £260 pm !

As others have said, get the MG4, you will not regret it. Owned ours nearly two months now, and love it. Great drive, good range, and saving loads of money compared with amount of diesel I used to buy every month. I'm very fortunate that my employer offers free EV charging with 22KW chargers to encourage sustainable travel to work. I have used the granny charger, as well as public chargers on occasion as well, and even with using public chargers, it's still cheaper than my old ICE car.

I would snap their hand off at that price ! £260pm is a great deal - how much advance rental (deposit !) is required? With maintenance & over 48 months I've been quoted £405pm, a big difference to your deal ! Would be grateful to tell us who / what your deal came from - I could happily give them my business. I too have had misgivings re the MG4, but there are many satisfied drivers out there too, so go for it, especially at £260 pm !
It's a lease car through the NHS (salary sacrifice). No advance required on the lease :)

As others have said, get the MG4, you will not regret it. Owned ours nearly two months now, and love it. Great drive, good range, and saving loads of money compared with amount of diesel I used to buy every month. I'm very fortunate that my employer offers free EV charging with 22KW chargers to encourage sustainable travel to work. I have used the granny charger, as well as public chargers on occasion as well, and even with using public chargers, it's still cheaper than my old ICE car.
What is the granny charger that people keep referring to?

The trickle charger you (should) get along with your car as part of the deal. They plug into a 13A socket so you don't need a wall box or anything fancy, but they do take a long time to charge a car. For example my car was on 41% when I started it about 10 pm one evening, and finished about 2.30 pm the following afternoon. Over 16 hours.

They're useful if you don't do a big mileage - if you're only doing short journeys most of the time you can pick up what you need overnight fairly easily. If you have a convenient rapid charger for occasional use that may be all you need.

On the other hand it's not really practical to use them with variable electricity tariffs because the low-tariff period in the middle of the night probably isn't long enough for you, and you also have to be careful with electrical safety. Best used from a robust power point on a separate fused circuit. Watch out for the plug heating, and again best if this is in a cool area to allow any heat to dissipate. Extension leads can also be problematic. If you need an extension lead this has to be heavy duty, and again heating up of plugs can be an issue.

Having said all that, I have a separate electrical circuit in my garage with its own circuit breaker, the garage power points are all metal-jacketed, and there is a power point only 1.5 metres from my car's charging port so I don't need an extension lead (the granny charger lead is only 5 metres in total). It's also a dark, cool space. The electrician says it's all as safe as anything else in the house (nobody is ever going to say that anything is "perfectly" safe).

I also have a rapid charger five minutes walk away which is currently 2.9 p per unit cheaper than my own electricity supply, so I have a habit of giving the car a wee while on that to take it up to 90% or 95%, then finish the charge slowly on the granny charger which allows the battery cells to balance.

Last night I came home at ten at 30% charge. I gave the car 55 minutes on the rapid charger, took it home at 89%, plugged it in at home at eleven, and the app said it would be done by 2.17 am. I presume it was - it's at 100% now, so it only spent three and a bit hours on the granny charger.

I find this works very well for me, although it probably wouldn't suit someone with a high daily mileage. I'm certainly struggling to justify shelling out £1,000 for a wall box.

The trickle charger you (should) get along with your car as part of the deal. They plug into a 13A socket so you don't need a wall box or anything fancy, but they do take a long time to charge a car. For example my car was on 41% when I started it about 10 pm one evening, and finished about 2.30 pm the following afternoon. Over 16 hours.

They're useful if you don't do a big mileage - if you're only doing short journeys most of the time you can pick up what you need overnight fairly easily. If you have a convenient rapid charger for occasional use that may be all you need.

On the other hand it's not really practical to use them with variable electricity tariffs because the low-tariff period in the middle of the night probably isn't long enough for you, and you also have to be careful with electrical safety. Best used from a robust power point on a separate fused circuit. Watch out for the plug heating, and again best if this is in a cool area to allow any heat to dissipate. Extension leads can also be problematic. If you need an extension lead this has to be heavy duty, and again heating up of plugs can be an issue.

Having said all that, I have a separate electrical circuit in my garage with its own circuit breaker, the garage power points are all metal-jacketed, and there is a power point only 1.5 metres from my car's charging port so I don't need an extension lead (the granny charger lead is only 5 metres in total). It's also a dark, cool space. The electrician says it's all as safe as anything else in the house (nobody is ever going to say that anything is "perfectly" safe).

I also have a rapid charger five minutes walk away which is currently 2.9 p per unit cheaper than my own electricity supply, so I have a habit of giving the car a wee while on that to take it up to 90% or 95%, then finish the charge slowly on the granny charger which allows the battery cells to balance.

Last night I came home at ten at 30% charge. I gave the car 55 minutes on the rapid charger, took it home at 89%, plugged it in at home at eleven, and the app said it would be done by 2.17 am. I presume it was - it's at 100% now, so it only spent three and a bit hours on the granny charger.

I find this works very well for me, although it probably wouldn't suit someone with a high daily mileage. I'm certainly struggling to justify shelling out £1,000 for a wall box.
Thank you very much for the explanation.

I guess in your situation it wouldn't make a huge amount of sense shelling that much out for a wall box.

I guess for me, because I'm selling my current car, I'm planning on using some of that money and hopefully it adds some value to the property as well 😁

Oh yes. When I got the car I assumed I'd be getting a wall box because that's what everybody does, isn't it? And a variable tariff, ditto. But then I discovered how much wall boxes cost (although I am eligible for a £300 grant, being in rural Scotland). Then I discovered how well I was getting on with the granny charger, and in particular how lucky I was to have a more or less perfect set-up for using one. Then I thought about increasing the cost of all the rest of my electricity to save a bit on car charging - when sometimes I only have to charge the car once a fortnight!

At the moment I'm thinking, this ain't broke, don't fix it. I've got the village charge-point 400 yards away if I need the car charged up in a hurry (you should have seen me sprinting to it last night as I realised I was closer to the time limit than I thought, and managed to stop it 15 seconds short of a £10 fine!) Right now I'm using it because it's actually cheaper than charging at home, as well as saving long sessions on the granny charger, though that will probably change in bad weather.

I've got neighbours with a wall box (not the Tesla lot, another couple) who have said if I'm stuck, I can use theirs. The Tesla-and-solar couple would probably step up too if I was in a bind. But unless the village charger breaks down (it happens) at a time when I have two consecutive-day long trips planned, I can't even see why I would need to take them up on it.

I reckon even if I was still working it wouldn't be an obvious "get a wall box" situation - my daily round trip to work was only 24 miles. But as it is, I have weeks of short local journeys - the outskirts of Edinburgh are only 14 miles away, and then I get on a bus because parking in Edinburgh is impossible - interspersed with occasional long trips that bring me back on 30% to 40%, which isn't hard to make up overnight if I'm not doing another long trip the same day.

But this is unusual. Looking around here I see five wall boxes between me and the village charger, and another Tesla parked in front of a mid-terrace house who is probably using the public charger for all his needs unless he's good mates with one of the wall boxes. Nobody else on a granny charger.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 538 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel