X Power not liked by James and Kate

They're certainly not newbies to EVs ... they run Cleeveley Electric Vehicles, and currently use MG5s as their service vehicles (to do on-site servicing for clients).

They're certainly not newbies to EVs ... they run Cleeveley Electric Vehicles, and currently use MG5s as their service vehicles (to do on-site servicing for clients).

James works for Cleevely doing mobile EV servicing, doesn't own the company. I think Kate works in the office also.

So not really experienced hot hatch / performance car orientated like Mat Watson or some other reviewers ?? ... or is that unfair 🤷‍♂️. Like I said before I suspect most XPower buyers will be from the "hot hatch" or "performance car" side of ownership rather than just EV. I know I certainly was and would'nt have considered another model in the MG brand at all.

Last edited:
I came from an XR2 and then two GTis - a Peugeot and then a Golf. I was gobsmacked by how close the SE SR came to the performance of these cars. If the X-Power had been available at the time I'm not saying I wouldn't have been tempted, but even the basic models are capable of quite impressive performance.

Sorry, a bit of a digression.

James works for Cleevely doing mobile EV servicing, doesn't own the company. I think Kate works in the office also.
Thanks - I'd just assumed that it was their business, since he seems to make a lot of the decisions re. service vehicles.

Sometimes. But I don't want the Trophy trim, I like the SE trim, and I like the LFP battery too. I don't see them bringing out an SE X-Power with an LFP battery, somehow!

Thanks - I'd just assumed that it was their business, since he seems to make a lot of the decisions re. service vehicles.
Jon and Jane Cleevely own the company.

James and Kate have run their YouTube channel for a long time.
He certainly knows a fair amount about EVs as he is a mobile service technician.

I wouldn’t base a purchase decision solely on the opinion of a single YouTube creator and I’d definitely give more weight to the advice of a professional like Matt Watson from Carwow. In this interview when asked to recommend an EV he replies with the MG4.

The XPower is interesting because it shows there is a market for MG EVs beyond the budget market. Which bodes well for the Cyberster.

Jon and Jane Cleevely own the company.

James and Kate have run their YouTube channel for a long time.
He certainly knows a fair amount about EVs as he is a mobile service technician.

I wouldn’t base a purchase decision solely on the opinion of a single YouTube creator and I’d definitely give more weight to the advice of a professional like Matt Watson from Carwow. In this interview when asked to recommend an EV he replies with the MG4.

The XPower is interesting because it shows there is a market for MG EVs beyond the budget market. Which bodes well for the Cyberster.

Here's where the MG4 is mentioned:

Yes, hats off to MG for "pushing the boundaries" and bringing out the AWD XPower. I'm sure it has attracted a lot of new people (like myself) to the MG4. A 30 minutes test drive was all I needed to make my decision to purchase my Xpower.

Given the CarWow vids above I think it's only right we add the CarWow review of the XPower 😉😊👍. It's called "New MG4 XPower: A £35k supercar SLAYER!" and the quotes I gave above are from this review. I think it's clear he likes it ... lots of smiles and surprised looks. He's also just recently bought himself a brand new Porsche 911 GT3 RS so high praise for the Xpower from a petrolhead.

and to see the vast difference in performance of the Xpower to the standard MG4 have a look at this video below from 13" in. It's quite an eye opener.🤪 They even give the standard MG4 a massive headstart. I know many of the standard car owners are happy with their acceleration but this shows the XPower is in another league altogether for those that want it. At the end of the video an experienced Supercar Instructor also drives the Xpower around the track and here are a few of his comments:-

"R E A L L Y impresive ... the acceleration"

"It's quite good on the handling too ... steers in"

"I was really shocked to be honest"

"brakes are good"

"the acceleration ... where does it come from" 😊

"there's no lag, its just instant acceleration all the way"

So high praise for the Xpower from those that are experienced in driving performance cars / supercars.

Last edited:
No probs. I think he's just very keen and from his past & current experience, I'm sure the owners take onboard his suggestions. They seem to have got it spot on with using MG5s as their vehicles.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom