Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
I have tested this today, and when AWD is possible to kick in at different throttle input in D (drive) in all of the modes, it does not have AWD at all in any of the modes in R (reverse). So it is not possible to get AWD in reverse at all. Didn't they bother program the front motor to reverse? Keep in mind the front motor does not do the regeneration either. So they market a AWD car, which doesn't have AWD in reverse. That is not a AWD car to me. If this is not fixed I guess a lot of people should get some money back on their purchase, as it is marketed differently.

I did notice this on Saturday now you mention. Muddy car park I had to 3 point turn in. I didn’t try other modes like snow or something but my usual is custom with sport as the motor selection so it’s AWD all the time (but only forward apparently)

Not really, as long as you are aware of it and doesnt park it nose down on a icey parking spot for example.

But for other cars AWD means AWD both backwards and forward.

I have tested this today, and when AWD is possible to kick in at different throttle input in D (drive) in all of the modes, it does not have AWD at all in any of the modes in R (reverse). So it is not possible to get AWD in reverse at all. Didn't they bother program the front motor to reverse? Keep in mind the front motor does not do the regeneration either. So they market a AWD car, which doesn't have AWD in reverse. That is not a AWD car to me. If this is not fixed I guess a lot of people should get some money back on their purchase, as it is marketed differently.
Very interesting, but not given it a moments thought up until reading your post.
I don't think it will ever be a problem for me, but handy to know all the same.👍

Does it really matter it's not AWD in reverse?
Maybe not in summer and on good conditions. But in winter over here it will matter. Glad I have always backed down my driveway, so I can drive up the hill from the garage again, because 2WD doesn't fare well here, up in the hills on the countryside.

Actually MG Norway sells it as 4WD, specified also to four wheel drive (in norwegian), which then can't correlate to drive or reverse

It's certainly something to bear in mind in the Snow and Ice when having to reverse (e.g. having to make a 3-point turn etc. when the road is blocked ahead 😒.)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom