Your car should make some noise

mepa

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Marvel R
Ok, the MG is quiet, maybe to quiet. did anyone try any of these https://aliexpress.ru/item/1005005665063393.html ?

I had like not funny response from people on the street we had not any noise from car. Telling them "but I drive careful" did not convince.

So who has retrofit any mg with some sound module, and what way you operate that? Did you automate? Or manual? Is it loud enough? I do not want to show off like being a racecar, only nicely inform pedestrian people that there is an electric car approaching.

Agreed - the Pedestrian Alert System on the MG4 does seem very quiet - way quieter than our Zoe's was. Not sure if there's any way to change that - might be possible for a dealer to adjust it. Our Zoe was completely silent when reversing though, which seems a bit unsafe to me - not sure why they configure it that way. Pretty sure the MG4 is silent when reversing too.

I can't remember who did it, but someone on YouTube posted comparison videos of their previous MG5 (I think) vs their MG4 as regards pedestrian alert sound at low speed. (Might have been Tom's Man Shed).

For reverse :

In other cars we used this bulb with built in alarm, that should be possible in MG4 also since it is normal bulb

1693820717780.png

It is easy to add a beeper to one of the tail lamps, then connect it to the reverse bulb

You can pry open the covers to get access to the 2 screws that hold the whole package.

See page 280 in mg4 manual

1693822144536.png

I can't remember who did it, but someone on YouTube posted comparison videos of their previous MG5 (I think) vs their MG4 as regards pedestrian alert sound at low speed. (Might have been Tom's Man Shed).

I've set the video link so it goes straight to the sound test bit - he waffles on for ages before that

Yes, I can see that it does make a noise when going forwards or backwards at low speeds, but the MG4's noise is definitely quieter than the MG ZS EV's, and it's a different type of sound, more of a background whir than the ZS or Zoe celestial type of hum, and less easy for pedestrians to pick up I think.

Last edited:
Agreed - the Pedestrian Alert System on the MG4 does seem very quiet - way quieter than our Zoe's was. Not sure if there's any way to change that - might be possible for a dealer to adjust it. Our Zoe was completely silent when reversing though, which seems a bit unsafe to me - not sure why they configure it that way. Pretty sure the MG4 is silent when reversing too.
Looking at it, the system seems to have a pedestrian alert module which is hardwired to a speaker in the bottom front side of the car. ( all well hidden, not easy to access)

You can locate that when driving slowly in reverse, then it sounds clearly.

Ill try to get a picture of that.

Looking at it, the system seems to have a pedestrian alert module which is hardwired to a speaker in the bottom front side of the car. ( all well hidden, not easy to access)

You can locate that when driving slowly in reverse, then it sounds clearly.

Ill try to get a picture of that.
Thanks, but as mine's a lease car I don't plan to make any mods - I will ask the garage if they can increase the volume of the alert sound a bit when it's in for its software update.

A musing ... we often turn down the Alerts volume (in Settings) so as to make the indicator "clicking" quieter. I wonder if that also affects the pedestrian alert volume?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 536 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back