ZS EV 2022 jumps to 100% charge from 85% on granny charger

riizzle

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Has anyone else encountered this? Took my car to a rapid charger as I'm waiting for a home charger to be installed, got it up to 85% and then brought home. At home plugged in the granny charger with an estimated completion time of about 5 hours, but 45 minutes later suddenly the car is reporting being at 100% charge and charging has finished.

Do you have SR or LR battery?

If LR then 15% would be about 10.2kWh so not possible to charge in 45 mins on a home charger at 7kW.

If you have the older ZS EV then 15% would be about 6.2kWh so might just creep it under 45 mins, but unlikely as the charging rate drops down after 80%, even on a home charger.

I know that doesn’t help :-(

Do you have SR or LR battery?

If LR then 15% would be about 10.2kWh so not possible to charge in 45 mins on a home charger at 7kW.

If you have the older ZS EV then 15% would be about 6.2kWh so might just creep it under 45 mins, but unlikely as the charging rate drops down after 80%, even on a home charger.

I know that doesn’t help :-(
It is the short range 2022 model, so I came to the same conclusion as you that it can’t possibly be completing that final 15% in that time. The only other thought I had was could it be that DC fast charging leaves the battery in such a poor state that the car struggles to know what the SoC truly is? Another question for MG I guess!

Also bear in mind SR have LFP batteries and can charge 100% on a rapid charger too. So it could be possible that its charged more than 85%. At 85% its about 43kWh. And 15% of 51 kWh would be around 7.5kWh but usable is even less. So 45 mins on granny charger could have given you about 2 kWh. I think you would have got more than 85% in actual on Rapid charger. Also on SR you cannot set your target SOC in the car or iSmart app. Unless you stopped charging when you saw 85%.

Last edited:
I havent really made note of it. Will do that next time I fully charge and keep you posted.
I left my car on charging last night at 9.30pm and it estimated 100% by 12.15am. My schedule was to get to 100% between 930pm-2.30am. I assume battery balancing happenned between 12.15-2.30am. Not sure if it finished by 2.30am though as there is no way to establish that. This morning I saw that the charging lights were off. Here is the pic:
20220305_100403.jpg

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom