ZS EV anti theft measures?

I use a Faraday pouch and can confirm it works perfectly.
Me too and I've tried to open the door with it right next to the door and with the pouch actually opened so the signal must be directional from the key.
Many people forget about their spare key and just leave it in a drawer somewhere else in the house. we have a pouch for each key, two of mine and two of SWMBO's. It also saves wear and tear on the pouches.

Yep - I have two pouches and test them when I exit and lock the car - just try opening the boot. If it opens, then there’s something wrong. If it’s locked, then the Faraday case is doing its job. I use a cheap Halfords steering lock which just stops the opportunists/drunks from smashing the windows and thinking they can drive off without the key - some of these idiots see the keyless start button and dont know they need a key. Steeling locks are never going to stop the determined thief but it will deter the idiots who want a ride home…

What @JodyS21 is saying is once the thief has picked up and copied the key signal, he can use his copying device as you would the key. He can open the car by putting his device next to the door, then he can start the car by taking his device inside the car. It's not difficult to pick up the key sign, even if it's further away than the car can pick it up, they just use a bigger antenna and a signal booster. It's always best to block the signal with a Faraday pouch rather than rely on the key being further away.
FYI, you can drive off without the key once the car is started. This is a safety feature to prevent the car shutting down (e.g. stopping in the middle of the road) if the fob battery expires while you're driving.
I knew there was a very good reason but I just couldn't think of it! yes if the fob battery ran out whilst driving it'd be very bad if it just cut the power!

It'd be something very good for the dealers to give you when you buy the car, a couple of faraday pouches instead of the MG teddy or drink bottle etc that they often give.

I knew there was a very good reason but I just couldn't think of it! yes if the fob battery ran out whilst driving it'd be very bad if it just cut the power!
Very bad in the 3rd lane of a motorway and when the car powers off the parking brake comes on 😬

I don't mean to argue just give facts. The fob has no battery so it can't run out. It is a good idea to keep both keys in a metal containment. I tested driving away without the key in the car, it really won't do that. Maybe it is a difference between EU and GB but I don't think it is. Not so difficult to try out yourself, if you will please.

It won’t work unless it has a battery. It uses a small flat battery. The user manual shows how to change it. Unless your car has a different system?

Attachments

• 675EFFEE-A951-417C-8BE6-E749F70A29F9.jpeg
    675EFFEE-A951-417C-8BE6-E749F70A29F9.jpeg
    234.9 KB · Views: 146
Oh my, you're right! Checked it and guess what... So my apologies, didn't know that untill now. Been told it had no battery so didn't bother to check that myself. Well, never trust a dealers salesmen I guess.

Attachments

• 20210707_205113.jpg
    20210707_205113.jpg
    451.1 KB · Views: 132
Oh my, you're right! Checked it and guess what... So my apologies, didn't know that untill now. Been told it had no battery so didn't bother to check that myself. Well, never trust a dealers salesmen I guess.
It's part of the reason for the price of the service, they change the fob battery lol

Mmm....is that a "fact" :LOL:

It only goes some way to show what we already know, that some sales people have absolutely NO idea 🤷‍♂️.
If the fob had no battery, I fail to understand how the circuit board contained in the fob, would get the power to send a signal to the car ??????.
Unless you wanted to manually open the car with blade contained in the fob of course 🤣.

It only goes some way to show what we already know, that some sales people have absolutely NO idea 🤷‍♂️.
If the fob had no battery, I fail to understand how the circuit board contained in the fob, would get the power to send a signal to the car ??????.
Unless you wanted to manually open the car with blade contained in the fob of course 🤣.
It could work like an RFID chip does...
The car sends out wireless power via a coil...that gets picked up by a smaller coil inside the fob and then you can power the circuits inside the fob to send a message to the car....

But it doesn't work like that...it's just a battery 😛

It could work like an RFID chip does...
The car sends out wireless power via a coil...that gets picked up by a smaller coil inside the fob and then you can power the circuits inside the fob to send a message to the car....

But it doesn't work like that...it's just a battery 😛
Yep !.
Flat coin cell 🪙 battery - keep it simple.

The Tesla key card works like a contactless payment just bring it near the b piller to unlock and place in centre console to enable driving.

The Tesla key card works like a contactless payment just bring it near the b piller to unlock and place in centre console to enable driving.
They call it NFC ('Near Field Communication'). The fact that the key is passive and can be only operated in very close proximity of the door locks makes it secure. A miscreant would need physical access to the card.
The fact that it cannot operate at range limits its use to door unlock, you cannot enjoy other things such as "Find my car using lights and horn". Since Tesla is a connected car, this can be achieved using a mobile app.

Maybe in the next iteration of the car, MG might consider following Tesla's lead and keeping it simple.

I never use the keycard. Just keep my phone on my pocket with the Tesla app.

Yes I have driven off without the key, and I'm sure it would be unsafe not to have that facility. (Eg, key failure by some means). However, on the security issue, I did find the car window down the other day - I had failed to raise it when getting home. No alarm, no bongs, car apparently locked ok, just window open all night!

The way to prevent these remote extension devices is to keep your keys in a screened container. A metal box or faraday cage bag will work fine. However, having experience of other cars with this type of access I can advise that with the MG system the key has to be VERY close to the car to work anyway, which is good. Try it for yourself…….
Hi we just got our car back from the garage with a list of fault. One was the rear tailgate remains open after you have locked the car. We tested it and you have to be over 50m away before it remained locked so be careful

Yep !.
Flat coin cell 🪙 battery - keep it simple.
I think though that the battery is there for sending a signal to open or close the door when a fob button is pressed. The car sends out a rfid signal to the RFID chip on the fob on which it receives a return signal if the fob is nearby and then releases the locks and alarm. Otherwise how would it work with unlocking and locking the doors with the doorknob and the key s in your pocket without touching it?
(Hmm Maybe that's what the salesdude meant)
RFID chips don't need a battery, the signal of the sender contains enough energy for the returncode to be sent.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom