ZS EV Battery Upgrade

Seve

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Is it possible to upgrade the battery KW size on a Gen 1 MGZS EV? I have the 44.4 kw battery range 150 ish, can you change the battery to for instance the battery on a MG 5?

Not really feasible.
Upgrade you car if you want a bigger battery. This will open the choice of both ZSEV and MG5 LR versions.

i would imagine that it would be more realistic to swap it out for one of the batteries in the new ZS EV.

Size, and shape would probably be a lot more like your ZS EV.

If it is at all possible to get a larger battery pack working in the "old" style ZS EV is another question alltogether.

I would imagine, that the firmware in the car is set up for the battery that is in the car, and it might not want to charge the battery above what it thinks the battery is rated at.

Not to mention, that the battery chemistry in the new battery is probably different, so you will probably have to get the BMS from the newer version as well....And maybe even the charger is different...Plus, integrating the new style BMS into the old style car, will probably require a fair bit of programming, which i am willing to bet, MG will not help you with.

Not saying it will be impossible, but it is certainly not going to be like loosening the screw, that holds the battery cover, and then popping in a new pair of batteries......Not going to be cheap either i would imagine.

Thank you for your replies, confirmed what I thought, have to save up for the Gen 2 version.
My guess is that if you add up the price you could get for your first gen ZS EV, and the price for a second gen ZS EV battery, plus installation, you will find that you could have bought a second gen ZS EV for less.

Is it possible to upgrade the battery KW size on a Gen 1 MGZS EV? I have the 44.4 kw battery range 150 ish, can you change the battery to for instance the battery on a MG 5?
Try Cleevely garage in Cheltenham. I know they do LEAF battery swaps so they should be able to advise.

I would say it's to early for this upgrade give it a few years when aftermarket companies can see there's money in older evs batteries upgrades and software there are upgrades now for the leaf for instance it will be more common for battery upgrades as the 2nd hand ev car market grows its got no choice now to evolve

Try Cleevely garage in Cheltenham. I know they do LEAF battery swaps so they should be able to advise.
I saw a short YouTube from James at Cleevely a little while back saying that they had stopped doing the Battery Swap Upgrades there were a number of complications.

With the ZS and MG5 different batteries result in different battery voltages and therefore a custom BMS and software build.

Steer away from such sorcery if you value your warranty and resale value is my advice.

Ah, this answers my question. I was sold the 44.4kw battery ZS ev in Ireland a year ago and sadly didn't do my research! Although I did ask if a larger battery would come soon and was told it wasn't likely ! 3 months later it arrived in Ireland! Just hoping the vehicle will hold value with a smaller battery so I can upgrade in time. Although it only really affects me on long drives. I guess the larger the battery, the longer to charge it?

Ah, this answers my question. I was sold the 44.4kw battery ZS ev in Ireland a year ago and sadly didn't do my research! Although I did ask if a larger battery would come soon and was told it wasn't likely ! 3 months later it arrived in Ireland! Just hoping the vehicle will hold value with a smaller battery so I can upgrade in time. Although it only really affects me on long drives. I guess the larger the battery, the longer to charge it?
There will always be a market for not-long-range EVs. Most journeys are less than 20 miles.

Yes, the bigger the battery, the longer charge at 7kW or less (as in most home charging). Rapids depend on several other factors, not just capacity.

There will always be a market for not-long-range EVs. Most journeys are less than 20 miles.

Yes, the bigger the battery, the longer charge at 7kW or less (as in most home charging). Rapids depend on several other factors, not just capacity.
I suppose at least I didn't pay double for the new long range vehicles. Apart from the battery I think it was good value

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom