ZS EV facelift

The source of the claim you are making would be good. You’ve made an interesting statement - I’d like to know where the info originated.
The source of the claim you are making would be good. You’ve made an interesting statement - I’d like to know where the info originated.
This explains a bit about how the battery works if you are prepared to spend a bit of time reading it, a battery is just that, the Battery Management System is the clever part and that is controlled by the company who produces the car, they can decide how much charge is left in the battery when your vehicle states empty or if it comes to a stop saying battery depleated the more that is left in reserve the less chance of the battery being damaged by running it to complete empty, If this is done enough times it will shorten the life of the battery which would give warranty issues, so the more that's left the less damage and the longer the life of the battery (other things can make the battery fail also and that's why MG and other companies are continually updating the BMS when issues are found, updates will happen far more in electric cars than ICE due mostly to the HVB.
Hope this helps
Have a great evening

I’m aware of all that, in fact, Myles from MG Chorley talked about it on the podcast last week. If that’s all that’s being referred to then I’ve misinterpreted what’s been said. However, it’s fine-tuning and won't get a significant increase in the usable range. I’m not uncomfortable with the range the ZS EV has at the moment, but am keen to see how the product evolves with either increase in battery capacity or motor efficiency. Each of these will need new hardware over and above what we have in place at the moment. I think an easy win for MG would be to introduce a bigger capacity battery pack for the ZS - using the large empty space above the current pack/under the rear seat.
Have a look at the link below same 44.5 Kw battery but the new HT (High Tech) battery bigger range not sure about any change to hardware but has the new 2021 facelift and there talking about the 2022 new larger battery model and far larger range, I tend to try and get as much info from the internet as possible about the car It's always interesting but of course you can never be a hundred per cent sure of its accuracy, the other thing about EV's is that they will evolve very quickly die to the competition, range and price will be the two big winners

Have a look at the link below same 44.5 Kw battery but the new HT (High Tech) battery bigger range not sure about any change to hardware but has the new 2021 facelift and there talking about the 2022 new larger battery model and far larger range, I tend to try and get as much info from the internet as possible about the car It's always interesting but of course you can never be a hundred per cent sure of its accuracy, the other thing about EV's is that they will evolve very quickly die to the competition, range and price will be the two big winners

That is what it says isn’t it. I think a question to Myles on the blog is called for. 419km is what, 260 ish miles- 100 miles more than we have from the same size battery. Something “sounds a bit fishy” 🤔

That is what it says isn’t it. I think a question to Myles on the blog is called for. 419km is what, 260 ish miles- 100 miles more than we have from the same size battery. Something “sounds a bit fishy” 🤔
I think it was discussed on the webcast. I think Miles like the rest of us couldn't see how it was possible to get more range for a same capacity battery all be it a higher tech one, only efficiency being improved could get a higher range from the same capacity.
Various comments have been made about how they've managed to say this for what appears to be only the Indian market - bribes, India is all down hill driving, they've changed the test etc etc!

To clarify, I don't think anyone believes the advert for the new car in India, everything they have said regarding the hi tech battery makes no sense in regard to giving anywhere near that extra range.

Last edited:
I think it was discussed on the webcast. I think Miles like the rest of us couldn't see how it was possible to get more range for a same capacity battery all be it a higher tech one, only efficiency being improved could get a higher range from the same capacity.
Various comments have been made about how they've managed to say this for what appears to be only the Indian market - bribes, India is all down hill driving, they've changed the test etc etc!

To clarify, I don't think anyone believes the advert for the new car in India, everything they have said regarding the hi tech battery makes no sense in regard to giving anywhere near that extra range.
Yes, with the efficiency in question being drivetrain efficiency. My own ZS is now averaging 3.2 miles/kWh in the 1700 miles and 2 months we have had it. I understand that Tesla’s can easily top 5 - however, theirs is an induction motor rather than a permanent magnet motor which our cars have - which are much cheaper to make and probably explain some of the price differentail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could this be due to the range in India using the ARIA method (Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI)) method of calculating range which is more similar to the old NEDC than WLTP ? With that the 2020 ZS EV has a range of 340km (211 miles).

Could this be due to the range in India using the ARIA method (Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI)) method of calculating range which is more similar to the old NEDC than WLTP ? With that the 2020 ZS EV has a range of 340km (211 miles).
Yes indeed it is a different method of calculating range. The thing that makes no sense is how they're now giving a new higher figure - have they changed the method etc? Is it all an advertising "con"!?

I think it was discussed on the webcast. I think Miles like the rest of us couldn't see how it was possible to get more range for the same capacity battery all be it a higher-tech one, only efficiency being improved could get a higher range from the same capacity.
Various comments have been made about how they've managed to say this for what appears to be only the Indian market - bribes, India is all downhill driving, they've changed the test etc!

To clarify, I don't think anyone believes the advert for the new car in India, everything they have said regarding the hi-tech battery makes no sense regarding giving anywhere near that extra range.
Have a look at this link, I'm not talking about the 2020 model It was the same as the European model in 2020, this is there 2021 model with the new Hi-Tech. Battery, whatever that is, It's common business practices to try and hold back new models that are released first in another country slows the sales dramatically, this could be the reason for the big price drop in December, what will be interesting is will they release the 2021 model in the UK or will they wait for the 2022 model which has the larger KW, battery

Yes, indeed it is a different method of calculating range. The thing that makes no sense is how they're now giving a new higher figure - have they changed the method etc? Is it all an advertising "con"!?
It's the 2021 India model I'm Quoting, nothing to do with the 2020 model, the ZS EV 2021 also gets a facelift, as well as the Hi-Tech battery so, don't compare figures or battery miles with our 2020 model it's a different beast, I haven't found any information regarding any upgrade to the hardware on the 2021 model.

Yes indeed it is a different method of calculating range. The thing that makes no sense is how they're now giving a new higher figure - have they changed the method etc? Is it all an advertising "con"!?
They have used a different authority iCAT this time instead of the more widely used & trusted ARAI to come up with the higher range claim. We have a whatsapp group here in India where a few members are going to get the new 2021version soon. So that will reveal the truth behind the higher range although some of us have spoken to the dealers and they are saying that it's a move to bring the range close that of Kona (450 kms). Still I don't really believe that a battery with same capacity can deliver almost 23% more range (previous 340 kms vs now 419 kms)

They have used a different authority iCAT this time instead of the more widely used & trusted ARAI to come up with a higher range claim. We have a WhatsApp group here in India where a few members are going to get the new 2021version soon. So that will reveal the truth behind the higher range although some of us have spoken to the dealers and they are saying that it's a move to bring the range close to that of Kona (450 km). Still, I don't believe that a battery with the same capacity can deliver almost 23% more range (previous 340 km vs now 419 km)
Would be good to know how they are achieving a higher milage, could simply be the new battery can stand having its restrictions decreased, due to the new technology, please keep us up to date on any conclusions.

They have used a different authority iCAT this time instead of the more widely used & trusted ARAI to come up with the higher range claim. We have a whatsapp group here in India where a few members are going to get the new 2021version soon. So that will reveal the truth behind the higher range although some of us have spoken to the dealers and they are saying that it's a move to bring the range close that of Kona (450 kms). Still I don't really believe that a battery with same capacity can deliver almost 23% more range (previous 340 kms vs now 419 kms)
Thank you, that is exactly what we thought then. It sounds like they are just changing their advertising to try to make it sound like it's more like the Kona.
I guess there's no law in India like there is in the UK that makes all manufacturers use a single comparable method for providing range/efficiency data?

I would have thought that if it were really true, they'd have made more of a effort into telling people what they had really done and how great and efficient their new advances are etc, not just said we've got a new hi-tech battery (which is the same capacity) lol!

Have a look at this link, I'm not talking about the 2020 model It was the same as the European model in 2020, this is there 2021 model with the new Hi-Tech. Battery, whatever that is, It's common business practices to try and hold back new models that are released first in another country slows the sales dramatically, this could be the reason for the big price drop in December, what will be interesting is will they release the 2021 model in the UK or will they wait for the 2022 model which has the larger KW, battery

There's no new information there, every link I've seen anywhere just says the same stuff - hi-tech battery and bigger wheels.
I'm sure it's all exagerated advertising just to make it sound better.

BTW, Miles I think said, that it will not be this new Indian version that is effectively released in Europe towards the end of the year, we will be getting a more "proper" new version.

There's no new information there, every link I've seen anywhere just says the same stuff - hi-tech battery and bigger wheels.
I'm sure it's all exaggerated advertising just to make it sound better.

BTW, Miles, I think said, that it will not be this new Indian version that is effectively released in Europe towards the end of the year, we will be getting a more "proper" new version.
Just exactly is a proper new one LOL, MG make the cars for all countries there are no proper models there are only different models for different countries which all car manufactures do, what you are saying that MG is lying about the new Hi-tech battery do you have any proof to show it is not a new High Tech battery, could be worth contacting them with your thoughts?

Maybe they change the voltage to 800V. In physics you have the formula P = U x I (power = voltage x current) With more voltage you need less current for the same power (like Porsche). Advantage is that a lower current means less loss. (High current will gives more heatloss, like a old fashion lightbulb). So a higher voltage gives a higher efficiency. Wich results in more miles per kWh.

Last edited:
Maybe they change the voltage to 800V. In physics you have the formula P = U x I (power = voltage x current) With more voltage you need less current for the same power (like Porsche). Advantage is that a lower current means less loss. (High current will gives more heatloss, like a old fashion lightbulb). So a higher voltage gives a higher efficiency. Wich results in more miles per kWh.
Yep, if they've changed the motor system etc to be a higher voltage it could be more efficient then.
Just doesn't make any sense though, why they wouldn't advertise that their new car is super-duper good like Porsche!

So for example if you have a battery with 100v and 10a that will give you 1kw If it were 200v and 5a you would still get 1kw but more miles per kw? Or is it only more efficient if other components are more efficient too - so changing battery voltage and current has no impact unless other components are also changed?

Just exactly is a proper new one LOL, MG make the cars for all countries there are no proper models there are only different models for different countries which all car manufactures do, what you are saying that MG is lying about the new Hi-tech battery do you have any proof to show it is not a new High Tech battery, could be worth contacting them with your thoughts?
I have zero proof of anything lol.
Except fundamental scientific principles which say that X amount of power is X amount of power no matter how you create it - be it a 44.5kWh battery powered by hamsters in wheels or uranium.

I can't imagine that they wouldn't explicitely lie that they have some type of new technology in the battery pack compared to previous.

@Abhijoy from India has basically said what they've done - used a different test (iCat vs ARAI) to give the new range.

When I say I think europe is getting a proper new model unlike the Indian one, I got the impression from Miles on podcast that lets say it's like the Indian model is ver 1.1, the EU one when it's launched will be version 2.0.

So for example if you have a battery with 100v and 10a that will give you 1kw If it were 200v and 5a you would still get 1kw but more miles per kw? Or is it only more efficient if other components are more efficient too - so changing battery voltage and current has no impact unless other components are also changed?
It'd only be more efficient in how you use the power once you get it out of the battery - so yes all the other components that are used to turn the power into motion would be more efficient at a higher voltage I believe.

Higher voltage means less current for the same power which very importantly means - smaller wiring is needed etc.

I have zero proof of anything lol.
Except fundamental scientific principles which say that X amount of power is X amount of power no matter how you create it - be it a 44.5kWh battery powered by hamsters in wheels or uranium.

I can't imagine that they wouldn't explicitely lie that they have some type of new technology in the battery pack compared to previous.

@Abhijoy from India has basically said what they've done - used a different test (iCat vs ARAI) to give the new range.

When I say I think europe is getting a proper new model unlike the Indian one, I got the impression from Miles on podcast that lets say it's like the Indian model is ver 1.1, the EU one when it's launched will be version 2.0.
1614456227776.gif

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom