ZS EV fuel efficiency

Tried setting my TP's to 2.6 and 2.7bar and the increase definitely aid energy consumption over the lower MG setting. I gained an increase over a seven day trial with the same jouney and temperature on clear roads, Only a slight change but every little helps :)

Hi Mark,
I have been doing the free charging challenge the last month and also this month so l must say charging to full and waiting till low before recharge is out of the window. I have been toping up at every free charge point I come across. But you are right the month before last when it was cold and I was charging at home, it was about 125 to 135 miles range.

Yer that is low...mine reads about 169 to 172 when charged at 7 kWh. Something just doesn’t sound right to me, I’d get it checked out ASAP. Are you using the free a Pod-Point chargers lots at Premier Inn Hotels as I do when I get the chance..?

Just as a comparison I did a trip around the M25 this morning, temp was 6-7 degrees, but see my trip data below, which was from doing 70 mph where allowed, which is really bang on for the real world mileage of 163. Normally I drive slower and get an added 10 miles on the motorways / A roads.

Attachments

• C45B99C4-FBFD-4401-BC41-FF9EAE939C57.jpeg
    C45B99C4-FBFD-4401-BC41-FF9EAE939C57.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 132
@ Mark H.
Range 169 /172 is very excellent.
Never recorded that sort of range ever since we got our MG ZS EV.
I will keep an eye on the data this month and send the car in to the dealership to be check as soon as possible.
The free charging challenge is going OK for now.
Yes I use Pod point and GMEV/CYC free charging points the pod point ones are excellent and always are in working order. The GMEV/CYC Charging points are often out of order. I was able to go the whole of last month on free charging but I guess it will become more difficult when lockdown is lifted.

Hi Folks,
I am wondering how fuel efficient ZS EVs are. Currently my cumulative travel data show distance travelled as 2000 miles and efficiency as 2.7miles per kWh average speed 21mph
This is extremely low.
I have checked from some of the long distance drive reviews of the ZS EV and the majority of those I have checked especially those done in winter all record an efficiency of less than 3 miles per kWh.
Presently I note a few individual journeys record efficiency above 3.5 in the current journey data but cumulative data has reminded very poor and been always below 3 miles per kWh.
I will be grateful if you could check your cumulative data and post your efficiency for comparison.
I wonder if this low efficiency is something wrong with my individual car rather than with all ZS EVs
Thanks
Hi Folks,
I am wondering how fuel efficient ZS EVs are. Currently my cumulative travel data show distance travelled as 2000 miles and efficiency as 2.7miles per kWh average speed 21mph
This is extremely low.
I have checked from some of the long distance drive reviews of the ZS EV and the majority of those I have checked especially those done in winter all record an efficiency of less than 3 miles per kWh.
Presently I note a few individual journeys record efficiency above 3.5 in the current journey data but cumulative data has reminded very poor and been always below 3 miles per kWh.
I will be grateful if you could check your cumulative data and post your efficiency for comparison.
I wonder if this low efficiency is something wrong with my individual car rather than with all ZS EVs
Thanks
Have a look at my efficiency test I did this morning and see if this helps you...it may explain your low kWh, then again it may not..

@Mark H,
I am acutely aware of the effect of AC/ Heating.
We drive with AC / heating off.
Seems however fan keeps working in the background no matter how low we turn it?
Not sure!!
My wife has the EV to herself over the weekend but if I get the chance will do a similar run like yours and then we can compare.
Otherwise I will take it to the dealership on Wednesday to have it fully recheck and software updates etc. Hopefully I will be able to shed some light on my low efficiency issue then. I will keep you posted.

@Mark H,
I am acutely aware of the effect of AC/ Heating.
We drive with AC / heating off.
Seems however fan keeps working in the background no matter how low we turn it?
Not sure!!
My wife has the EV to herself over the weekend but if I get the chance will do a similar run like yours and then we can compare.
Otherwise I will take it to the dealership on Wednesday to have it fully recheck and software updates etc. Hopefully I will be able to shed some light on my low efficiency issue then. I will keep you posted.
The fan should turn off when the heater is powered off.,but I’ve noticed the car does get quiet drafty in places, particularly around the footwell. Great car for the summer, but the winter maybe a little more painful.

I went out for a trip yesterday, the first time for several weeks, and it was great to drive the MG again. I travelled about 50 miles on A and B roads so no great speeds involved and on the way realised that the heater was on, so then turned it off! The efficiency recorded for the trip was 4.4 miles per kW which is about what I had previously obtained.

@Scriv
Hi. Excellent efficiency. I must be doing something wrong to be getting 2.7 mile per kWh on my cumulative data. I am planning a spin this afternoon. Time and free charging permitting, I am thinking of a 100 mile round trip A, B roads and motorway. Hot afternoon up here so may add slight air conditioning and will up date with results.

@Mark Holmes,
Regarding the fan I have a funny feeling that it never goes off. To me it seems to be persistently on no matter how low one turns the fun dial and remains on even when heater is off.

Last edited:
Hi.
Did a trip from Bristol to Blandford forum yesterday.
4.5 miles per kilowatt hour on way down.
4.7 on the way back.
107 miles ish total, 72 miles left on the GOM, started with battery at 95%.
42% left in battery.
Car was in echo and regen three, 3 adults onboard with deck chairs table and food and drink!
Tyres at 36 psi.
Also a Golf GTi tried taking the piss, it failed, with only ONE person onboard!

IMG_20200517_154824.jpg

IMG_20200517_154835.jpg

Folks,
I could not do the 100 miles efficiency test yesterday but was able to do a shorter 80 mile test today.
Please see images above for start data and below for end data.
IMG_20200517_193342.jpg

IMG_20200517_193424.jpg

As you can see 82 miles on A,B roads and motorway up to 75 mph gave an efficiency of 3.7 miles per kWh which is good but not as good as most of you are getting. Cumulative data continues to be poor remains stuck at the same 2.7 miles per kWh. Looking back since we got the car all our current journeys have come in at about 3 miles per kWh or above never below 3 so I do not understand why my cumulative data is so low.
Tyre pressures are at 37PSI. AC off, eco + regen 3 is our setting all the time so not sure what is happening here.
What do you think may be wrong?
Surely not my driving style????
My onboard computer seems a bit bonkers I think?????

Do a rest of the trip information and see what results you get over the next few weeks, also from the screen shot I noticed you have your adaptive cruise control on, you do know that you don’t get KER’s whilst using the adaptive control don’t you, so that’s waited energy..

Last edited:
Could a journey with more A roads and motorway driving knock the efficiency down, also muti short drives? The car is not as aerodynamic as a Prius etc.

Thanks Guys,
I was not aware of the kers being lost with the cruise control.
I will now be selective when I use it.
I will monitor my data over the next few weeks after I take it in on Wednesday. Hopefully my efficiency will improve.

Did 33 local miles with the A/C on with the fan mid speed. Accumulated reading of 4.7 miles per Kw/h which surprised me somewhat

Did 33 local miles with the A/C on with the fan mid speed. Accumulated reading of 4.7 miles per Kw/h which surprised me somewhat
That’s good I got to 4 kWh today on the motor way plus back roads and town, in eco mode and with the air con on...

Is it possible that you use more energy raising the temperature by 10 degrees with resistance heating than cooling by 10 degrees with the A/C?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom