ZS EV Trophy Vs Trophy Connect questions

Wow... Customer car in December... It's a Christmas miracle lol

Only question I have is when did you put your order in and which dealer did you use?

I'd be interested to know if the WiFi hotspot option is still available.

We are very fortunate to be collecting our ZS EV Trophy next week.

If anyone had any specific questions compared to the Trophy Connect let me know and I will poke the car to get answers.

I'm curious to know what things are possible when the Trophy is on wifi.
I'd be interested to know that as well (As well as the other questions above! :D)
My thinking, coming from a bit of a computing background, is that the Sim card in the car will probably be used for OTA updates and connection to the app, I've heard murmurings that there is potentially an internet "hotspot" that can be enabled, but I doubt that there would be an unlimited amount of data use if any at all (It's probably reserved for the car) The trophy connect seems to be the likely candidate for any additional data regarding hotspot usage.
Still, Until more of us start getting our cars and having a play around, it's all guess work from me :)

I'd be interested to know that as well (As well as the other questions above! :D)
My thinking, coming from a bit of a computing background, is that the Sim card in the car will probably be used for OTA updates and connection to the app, I've heard murmurings that there is potentially an internet "hotspot" that can be enabled, but I doubt that there would be an unlimited amount of data use if any at all (It's probably reserved for the car) The trophy connect seems to be the likely candidate for any additional data regarding hotspot usage.
Still, Until more of us start getting our cars and having a play around, it's all guess work from me :)
I think Miles said 1Gb/month on the podcast, so not for streaming Netflix etc. but enough for music.

MG must have really reduced the streaming bitrate of Amazon Music on the Trophy Connect. It can't be "Amazon Music HD" or "Amazon Music Ultra HD" else you'd run out of data in no time. 1 GB/month is poor.

What data speed does my internet connection need to be to listen to Amazon Music in HD?

A consistent internet connection of least 1.5 Mbps—typically available in LTE signals—is needed for HD streaming. A connection of at least 5 Mbps is needed for Ultra HD streaming.

HD audio may use up to 5.5 MB of data per minute.
Ultra HD audio, at the highest available audio quality (192 kHz sample rate), uses up to 12 MB of data per minute.

Actual experience depends on device capability.

1000 / 5.5 = 182 minutes
1000 / 12 = 83 minutes

Trophy Connect :poop:

Let's be on a mission to save each other £500 🤓

Last edited:
You can change to data saver in Amazon Music settings but I have no idea what usage that would save. A car environment with all it's ambient noise and distractions is hardly a place that needs HD or better quality.

Wow... Customer car in December... It's a Christmas miracle lol

Only question I have is when did you put your order in and which dealer did you use?

I'd be interested to know if the WiFi hotspot option is still available.
We put in a pre-order with Roy Tolley (Colchester) as soon as pre-ordering was possible.

I think it was due to the early point of the pre-order and our order (Trophy in Blue) being a match for early availability with MG UK. There was 1 other lucky customer.

Very interested in your question aswell, if it does still have I'm interested to know if it has any kind of connectivity or if it's blocked. I know on the Trophy Connect it routed all the Internet traffic from the hotspot via Stockholm

MG must have really reduced the streaming bitrate of Amazon Music on the Trophy Connect. It can't be "Amazon Music HD" or "Amazon Music Ultra HD" else you'd run out of data in no time. 1 GB/month is poor.

1000 / 5.5 = 182 minutes
1000 / 12 = 83 minutes

Trophy Connect :poop:

Let's be on a mission to save each other £500 🤓
I can completely understand why they would introduce a fair usage cap of 1GB/month.

When I tested the Hotspot on the Trophy Connect and all the Internet traffic was routed to Stockholm which I believe it where they have their AWS infrastructure.

In effect MG are paying for the mobile data and then paying for both ingress and egress of the data in AWS. If 1,000's of customers use lots of data they will rack up some huge AWS bills.

Might have misheard/misunderstood but it was implied that whilst the connect service is a factory fit option it's actually fitted when it arrives in the UK?
If that is the case could/would it ever be available as a dealer fit option?

1gb of data is a tiny amount. I barely do any driving now as working from home yet so far this month still managed to use 2gb of data with amazon music, and over 4gb on deezer (albeit higher quality). only used amazon music for a week or two before it drove me mad.

included amazon music is useless if using the cars inbuilt data connection (if it is 1gb). keep it for nav or other services. use your phones data for music.

Might have misheard/misunderstood but it was implied that whilst the connect service is a factory fit option it's actually fitted when it arrives in the UK?
If that is the case could/would it ever be available as a dealer fit option?
Thats what I see coming. I think trophy and trophy connect are actually the same car bar some software. An in the know dealer alluded to this and also that the dealer margin / mark up / available discount on the connect is much more than on the standard trophy. That is to say,that you are paying more for a software update than it actually costs

Thats what I see coming. I think trophy and trophy connect are actually the same car bar some software. An in the know dealer alluded to this and also that the dealer margin / mark up / available discount on the connect is much more than on the standard trophy. That is to say,that you are paying more for a software update than it actually costs
£500 more 🤑

Miles has confirmed that a standard Trophy can not be upgraded to a Trophy IConnect at a latter date and that it is NOT just a simple software update to the car.
If you choose the standard Trophy ( which I have done ) it will NOT be equipped with the necessary hard wear required to support the extra features that the IConnect provides.
I did not believe that we required many of the features offered by the IConnect system and therefore saved the £500 outlay.
It will be interesting to see what happens now after the PICG has now increased the prices of the Trophy models.
In the U.K. we are the only people to be offered the three different models.
MG will find it difficult to now retrospectively readjust the price of the Trophy models to get below the threshold of the PICG grant.
The U.K. market has gone for naming the models either SE / Trophy / Trophy IConnect.
But elsewhere they have gone naming them as the same previous model as before.
Excite and Exclusive only.
MG could revert back to using Excite and Exclusive to match everybody else.
By renaming them, they could bring them back to the market under another pricing structure.
Therefore dropping the standard Trophy model and effectively offering either the Excite or Exclusive which WILL include the IConnect as a standard feature ?.
This just makes more sense than faffing about with three different models for the U.K. market.
So, anybody who has already ordered a standard Trophy will automatically receive the IConnect regardless.
IF they rename / review the pricing structure, then both standard Trophy and IConnect customers should benefit from this adjustment.
As long as these cars are not already built of course !.
It’s going to be interesting to see how, if at all, how MG are likely to react with the pricing structure.
Are they likely to stick or fold.
Do they leave the prices the same or do they readjust ?.
If they leave them the same, they have now narrowed the gap between other EV’s in that sector.
Price point is what has given them a massive edge / increase in sales this year over their competition.
The price increase caused by the reduction in the PICG has lost them that edge and customers will be distracted away from the brand because the gap has now reduced.
Target sales for next year HAD been predicted to double over 2021 great results.
But this target will need to be reviewed or the pricing structured looked into if they going to retain that pricing advantage over more and more EV’s entering the market place.
The MG ZS EV has some quirky items that folks have become to accept at the original price point, but the new face lift version HAS seen a price increase over the original model.
This is what most people expected I believe.
But you have to retain the strong price point, in order that makes it difficult for customers to be tempted away by order brands.
Let’s see what happens - if anything !.

Really doubt they will give the Connect model retroactively to Trophy buyer, since the difference is in hardware. If they do revert to two models then they will deliver two models, at new price points, to new buyers.

There are more expensive EVs coming next year but few cheaper ones, apart from other Chinese manufacturers and MG themselves, everything else I see so far will definitely break the £32k mark, or have less than 250miles range.

It has been years since EVs became mainstream and I think we have to accept affordable models with decent range will not come to the UK.

Whilst I understand there may be some hardware differences, probably around the hot-spot capability, it's fairly clear the Trophy, and SE for that matter must have some sort of GSM connection. The ismart app couldn't work any other way.

For the cost of these sort of units I'd be beyond surprised if they weren't present in all vehicles. But Miles probably know better to be fair.

We are very fortunate to be collecting our ZS EV Trophy next week.

If anyone had any specific questions compared to the Trophy Connect let me know and I will poke the car to get answers.

I'm curious to know what things are possible when the Trophy is on wifi.
Yes please. Can you work out if you can turn the satnav screen into "dark" mode. I did a test drive yesterday and after 4 o'clock I could only reduce the brightness and it was still burning out my retinas....

I too would be very appreciative of an answer as to the Infotainment screen having a dark mode - I wouldn't be able to manage with it so bright.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom