ZS EV Trophy Vs Trophy Connect questions

Quick question: Does the Trophy has the feature wherein you can use just your phone to unlock and drive away the car without using car keys?

And now that you have the car for a few weeks, what are your impressions? Do you like it, love it or just alright!?

Any comments on ride quality and noise while driving would be great? How do you find the sound system?
Yes you can unlock the car using the app. I don't i would want to rely on it but could be useful if you lock your keys inside.

I would say it is as good as expected the battery size makes it just so much more usable.
It does have some quirks but all cars do these days, hopefully they will provide software updates to fix some of the issues. Overall it is sufficiently: good value, good size, comfortable, good range, good charging speeds. We are a family of 5 who came from a Zoe 22kWh, we had a VW Sharan aswell, Zoe was supposed to be the secondary car but took over as I didn't want to drive it anywhere because of the emissions and how slow and lethargic it was.

Ride quality quite soft, comfortable over bumps and potholes.
Noise pretty good, better than Zoe and the Sharan. At high speeds there is the usual wing mirror noise don't really notice too much tyre noise except on crappy roads.

I can completely understand why they would introduce a fair usage cap of 1GB/month.

When I tested the Hotspot on the Trophy Connect and all the Internet traffic was routed to Stockholm which I believe it where they have their AWS infrastructure.

In effect MG are paying for the mobile data and then paying for both ingress and egress of the data in AWS. If 1,000's of customers use lots of data they will rack up some huge AWS bills.
There should not really be an issue with ingress and egress. There will certainly be data ingress / egress for MG services like firmware updates etc, but hopefully they are not too frequent. Also possibly DNS lookups but they could jus use an open DNS for free if they are using resirered domains. Even if using MG hosted DNS servers that woud be 1 call when you open the amazon music app so trival amount of data.

The large data flows for music will probably not hit the paid for AWS servers at all, so not be subject to egress charges, Amazon Music is a pubically accessible hosed service. The mobile connection in the car should make its own connection via the mobile operator to the end point ( idenitified by the DNS call ) by whatever route is best

Live traffic data may well be a private hosted service, so that will incur data egress charges, but it isnt a lot of data.

Mobile data charges are incurred regaurdless if where the data comes from

If it not working that way, it shoud be

Whilst I understand there may be some hardware differences, probably around the hot-spot capability, it's fairly clear the Trophy, and SE for that matter must have some sort of GSM connection. The ismart app couldn't work any other way.

For the cost of these sort of units I'd be beyond surprised if they weren't present in all vehicles. But Miles probably know better to be fair.
I went through this with the dealer went i bought my car. I need the app to preheat the car at silly o'clock. Thats a mandatory requirement for me. The dealer thought meant that we needed the connect version. Through ths forum and other sources I confirmed that is not the case. The dealer had previously seen the app on the connect model but there was no sign on ay other model head units. After some research he confirmed the app does indeed work on all models, but needs to be configured on delivery. Thats done in the pre inspection checks. Then it will appear on the head unit, just like the connect version. For this to be the case all models must have mobile conncetivity

I changed my mind from connect to Trophy as a result. I also dropped down from LR to SR to get under the bar ( the new 51kW battery is fine for most of my use ). A very significant price difference when all taken into account.

Not sure what hardware is missing when dropping the connect. As said elsewhere maybe wifi hotspot, but as you only have 1Gb of data you will no use that and if you do and use it all expect the app to stop working until it resets next month. Pretty sure everthing else is software

It has been said that the amazon music is a basic account so advert supported. If you need a paid account anyway, and you have your phone, just you your phone either via bluetooth or android auto / apple car play

Connect does give live traffic. Not an issue if using android auto or apple car play

I am afraid I can only confim all this in peson when the car arrives, I am impatiently waiting and will be for some months yet :-(

You may find this short video of some interest !.

That is ueful. Any videos showing charging vis the app?

I am interested to know if multiple charge slots can be created per day, and if the charge rate can be set for each of them individually

Use case is max recharge rate overnight, trickle charge during the day when its sunny ( very low tech PV proportinal controller ), I want to reduce to <2kw for the trickle

Waiting for delivery in April (hopefully) of our ZS EV Trophy Long Range. Just wondered:

will the maps update from time to time?
will the charging locations also be updated?
what happens if I drive the car to Europe - planning a trip to France
later in the year. Will the data connection work?

Waiting for delivery in April (hopefully) of our ZS EV Trophy Long Range. Just wondered:

will the maps update from time to time?
will the charging locations also be updated?
what happens if I drive the car to Europe - planning a trip to France
later in the year. Will the data connection work?
Thats a good question, especially now that roaming fees have been reintroduced for when we go to europe now

Yes you can unlock the car using the app. I don't i would want to rely on it but could be useful if you lock your keys inside.

I would say it is as good as expected the battery size makes it just so much more usable.
It does have some quirks but all cars do these days, hopefully they will provide software updates to fix some of the issues. Overall it is sufficiently: good value, good size, comfortable, good range, good charging speeds. We are a family of 5 who came from a Zoe 22kWh, we had a VW Sharan aswell, Zoe was supposed to be the secondary car but took over as I didn't want to drive it anywhere because of the emissions and how slow and lethargic it was.

Ride quality quite soft, comfortable over bumps and potholes.
Noise pretty good, better than Zoe and the Sharan. At high speeds there is the usual wing mirror noise don't really notice too much tyre noise except on crappy roads.
Thanks a lot for the detailed response - appreciated.

On the unlock, I know you can unlock via app. My question was whether it has the feature that allows driving the car all via app without the physical key.

I am interested to know if multiple charge slots can be created per day, and if the charge rate can be set for each of them individually

Use case is max recharge rate overnight, trickle charge during the day when its sunny ( very low tech PV proportinal controller ), I want to reduce to <2kw for the trickle
Very good questions. I’ll be interested to know whether you can set charging speed via the app - I doubt you can but good to know.

If you search for "Summit Garage" on YouTube and select "All Videos" there is list of video items covered.
Here you go - hope this helps !.

If you search for "Summit Garage" on YouTube and select "All Videos" there is list of video items covered.
Here you go - hope this helps !.

Note quite, but its a start.
I can see multiple charge sessions are supported which is good
I couldn;t see charge rate.

( oh and he confused charge rate with battery SOC target, )

I will look at the other ones later

Thanks for the pointer

Note quite, but its a start.
I can see multiple charge sessions are supported which is good
I couldn;t see charge rate.

( oh and he confused charge rate with battery SOC target, )

I will look at the other ones later

Thanks for the pointer
Yeah - It's pretty basic, but useful as a starter for 10 :ROFLMAO: .

On the unlock, I know you can unlock via app. My question was whether it has the feature that allows driving the car all via app without the physical key.
Someone mentioned doing exactly this on another thread, it may have been @Sam Luscombe ?

Not sure if that was the Connect version though.

Yes you can, our dealer did this when we went for a test drive.

Heh, "The request timed out" when they set the heated seats... :D
I was not aware that you remotely switch on the heated seats from the App until I watched this video !.
Interesting that it puts the rear tail light on when the pre-heat is requested, then turns everything off after 10 minutes.
I guess it will make it easy to tell if the pre-heat is functioning correctly, if the tail lights are on, then it’s working ?.
I wonder if it turn on the DRL’s at the front, I hope not.

I was not aware that you remotely switch on the heated seats from the App until I watched this video !.
I'm pretty certain the earlier videos I've seen don't mention it so possibly been added recently?
This one doesn't seem to show it, of course could be that the car doesn't have heated seats;

I've asked them if they intend to add scheduled pre-heating as that would be a useful feature.

Last edited:
I've just checked on mine and there isn't an option for heated seats. Whether this is different on the connect or I've missed an update I don't know.

My app doesn't really look like the one in the Summit Garages video, there's no button for tailgate for example. I'm not sure why there would be as it isn't automatic. Makes me think it's for a different vehicle.

I've just checked on mine and there isn't an option for heated seats. Whether this is different on the connect or I've missed an update I don't know.

My app doesn't really look like the one in the Summit Garages video, there's no button for tailgate for example. I'm not sure why there would be as it isn't automatic. Makes me think it's for a different vehicle.
Hi @Miles .
Can you offer some advice please regarding the above post.
Is there two different versions / levels of the MG i-Smart App on the face lift models of the ZS EV ???.
I am correct in my understanding, that ALL facelift models DO have the phone App.
But is there a "lite" version of the App with less features ?.
The video put together by Summit Garage at hash / tag 55 above, CLEARLY displays control of the heated seats from the App, and yet @Merry does not have this feature on his App ???.
Has there been a software update, or has the App been updated to allow this feature on ALL facelift models, or is it only available on certain spec models ?.
Many thanks !.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom