12V Battery charge low - do not park for more than 3 days.

I was pleased to find that the BM12V battery monitor stores its records and gives the app the history when it reconnects. Nice. I was also pleased to see that whenever I challenge the 12V (by doing an iSmart scan, for example) it returns to its original charge. So, after a day of monitoring and trying different scenarios, I am finding that the Intelligent Charging does actually work to boost the 12V battery at almost all times. i.e.
  1. when the car is at rest (Off, Locked, not Charging)(it was stable as 12.5 overnight),
  2. when it is Charging (boosts up to 14.2V)
  3. when it has stopped Charging but remains plugged in, and is Locked (stable at around 12.8)
Boosting seems to NOT occur when the car is left unlocked. And I haven't actually tested sitting in the parked car, not charging, and playing music etc, which I gather would also deplete the 12 V.

I did note with #3 that the EO Hub charger did change its status at one point for no apparent reason and the 12V declined for a little while but then recovered.

So I am currently concluding that the recent incident was due to some glitch with the EO Hub and perhaps in combination with the MG ZS. I did also notice today that the plug was a little loose in the car's socket, and on closer inspection saw that one of the metal pins is set back (see photo) - the CP pin. Is that normal? I've not noticed that before. If this is not normal, perhaps I need to get this fixed.

Attachments

• poss problem with the CP pin.jpg
    poss problem with the CP pin.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 46
on closer inspection saw that one of the metal pins is set back (see photo) - the CP pin. Is that normal?
Yes, it's normal, in case for some reason the plug gets pulled out while charging; it should be locked, but the lock could fail. The control pilot, being shorter, disconnects first, causing the car's on-board charger to quickly ramp the charge power down to zero so that the power pins don't disconnect under load. Disconnecting under load would cause arcing, erosion of contacts, etc.

Yes I do have a multimeter, but on reflection I should be able to just measure the voltage at the 12v battery.
Sorry, I quoted the wrong person. To see if you are getting charging, you can even use the car's internal auxiliary battery voltage meter. Or as you say across the 12 V battery with a multimeter.

The millivolt scale etc was actually meant for @TassieDi to determine whether plugging in an EVSE but not charging would drain the auxiliary battery.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom