1st Week Impressions

MoDolph

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
It's been 1 week today since we picked up our Trophy so I thought I should post an update. We are very happy.

Disclaimer: My job involves testing scientific equipment, trying to break it, and relaying potential issues to R&D so I'm programmed into trying to find things that might be a problem for customers, hopefully before they receive the product. This tends to make me come across as weirdly critical sometimes, even when I think something is good.

With all of the issues posted on here we were prepared for the worst but there has been nothing that we would consider a major issue.

It was supplied with no driver monitoring camera so no issues there.

Slight bulge but not so bad that I'm going to chase it up until others have had success.

Not checked for leak yet.

LKA - Terrible as in most cars I've driven so it was turned off straight away. It stays off.

ACC - It seems good. It holds a nice safe distance but is a little slow reacting when somebody cuts between me and the car ahead.

TJA - Limited testing but seems ok. It holds the lane fine but I just don't like it. I felt the same about cruise control the first time I used it so maybe it'll grow on me.

Volcano Orange/Looks - We like it but it has divided opinion at work. The people who usually buy white, grey and black cars tend to not like it (which is most people). The younger "boy racers" who like their modified exhausts etc. love it. It's certainly confused people that we have gone from a silver 1st gen LEAF to this. It's hard to know what people think of the design as everyone focuses on the colour.

Access - It's not great getting into but at least not as bad as the i8 we had for a week as part of the chargemaster experience program (bonus points for anybody that remembers that). Having the seat all the way back and down means that I rub on the door seal every time I get in. The wide sill isn't actually a problem for us.

App - It's much better than Nissan Connect. It's so much faster to update, hasn't failed yet and has more functionality overall. However, it wont preheat when plugged in unless I start charging first, is limited to 10 minutes instead of 15 and lights up the car like a Christmas tree.

Headlights - This is the issue annoying me most of all. In anything but direct sunlight into the sensor they are on. You can turn them off manually but they default to auto (on) again the next time you start the car. There was not a cloud in the sky at 1pm today and they were still on, I even had to wear sunglasses. It's our first car with non-halogen lights. We've not used them in anger yet but they do look to be really bright, if aligned a little low.

The drive - :D

Lack of data - I miss LeafSpy. I want to know the battery temperature, voltage and how much energy is being used by the various systems etc. Hopefully this will come in time.

Locking the car from the boot - Here is a tip I've just thought of but need to test. The LEAF has a locking button next to the boot release so you could get out of the car, open the boot and then close it before locking the car. With the MG4 you should exit the door, lock it and then open the boot. This way when you close it the car remains locked. Otherwise you have to either get the key out or walk back to the door. 1st world problems eh!

Efficiency - Not great. Short journeys are still often showing as <2 mi/kWh vs. 3 mi/kWh in the LEAF, it seems that the heater is really thirsty. I suspect that heat pumps might make a bigger difference than I thought. We might be doing a long journey this weekend so we'll see how it performs then.

Any other questions people have let me know.

It's been 1 week today since we picked up our Trophy so I thought I should post an update. We are very happy.

Disclaimer: My job involves testing scientific equipment, trying to break it, and relaying potential issues to R&D so I'm programmed into trying to find things that might be a problem for customers, hopefully before they receive the product. This tends to make me come across as weirdly critical sometimes, even when I think something is good.

With all of the issues posted on here we were prepared for the worst but there has been nothing that we would consider a major issue.

Slight bulge but not so bad that I'm going to chase it up until others have had success.

LKA - Terrible as in most cars I've driven so it was turned off straight away. It stays off.

ACC - It seems good. It holds a nice safe distance but is a little slow reacting when somebody cuts between me and the car ahead.

TJA - Limited testing but seems ok. It holds the lane fine but I just don't like it. I felt the same about cruise control the first time I used it so maybe it'll grow on me.

Volcano Orange/Looks - We like it but it has divided opinion at work. The people who usually buy white, grey and black cars tend to not like it (which is most people). The younger "boy racers" who like their modified exhausts etc. love it. It's certainly confused people that we have gone from a silver 1st gen LEAF to this. It's hard to know what people think of the design as everyone focuses on the colour.

Access - It's not great getting into but at least not as bad as the i8 we had for a week as part of the chargemaster experience program (bonus points for anybody that remembers that). Having the seat all the way back and down means that I rub on the door seal every time I get in. The wide sill isn't actually a problem for us.

App - It's much better than Nissan Connect. It's so much faster to update, hasn't failed yet and has more functionality overall. However, it wont preheat when plugged in unless I start charging first, is limited to 10 minutes instead of 15 and lights up the car like a Christmas tree.

Headlights - This is the issue annoying me most of all. In anything but direct sunlight into the sensor they are on. You can turn them off manually but they default to auto (on) again the next time you start the car. There was not a cloud in the sky at 1pm today and they were still on, I even had to wear sunglasses. It's our first car with non-halogen lights. We've not used them in anger yet but they do look to be really bright, if aligned a little low.

Lack of data - I miss LeafSpy. I want to know the battery temperature, voltage and how much energy is being used by the various systems etc. Hopefully this will come in time.

Locking the car from the boot - Here is a tip I've just thought of but need to test. The LEAF has a locking button next to the boot release so you could get out of the car, open the boot and then close it before locking the car. With the MG4 you should exit the door, lock it and then open the boot. This way when you close it the car remains locked. Otherwise you have to either get the key out or walk back to the door. 1st world problems eh!

Efficiency - Not great. Short journeys are still often showing as <2 mi/kWh vs. 3 mi/kWh in the LEAF, it seems that the heater is really thirsty. I suspect that heat pumps might make a bigger difference than I thought. We might be doing a long journey this weekend so we'll see how it performs then.

doesn't it have an OBD port, in which case you could buy a bluetooth OBD scanner install carscanner on your phone it will give you all sorts of data about the car as long as the car reports it. Ive just looked on mine for the profiles and MG is listed but only for now mg5 ev, Marvel ev, ZS ev and a basic setting for all mg's

I've tried car scanner and torque but only seem to be able to see limited info. I've tried the zs and mg5 profiles but with no luck. The Spanish guy who has unlocked the service menu appears to have SOH measurements but I can't even get that

I've tried car scanner and torque but only seem to be able to see limited info. I've tried the zs and mg5 profiles but with no luck. The Spanish guy who has unlocked the service menu appears to have SOH measurements but I can't even get that
Yes unfortunately the basic profile only shows limited data. If the mg5, and ZS profile don't work then the MG4 needs a different profile and until there is one specifically for the MG4 then thats all one will get. 😞

Hi MoDolph, from Wire land, and welcome to the forum not a million miles from pie land where I live I married a girl from Warrington 53 years ago still not sure why, anyhow nice report on your first weeks findings, quite a few of which have been commented on before in other posts on here, I do agree with you about the headlight light sensor it is crap don’t know why the fitted DLRs no need for them as the head lights are always on even on a good clear day as you said the range well I agree on that score also it is not anywhere near what as been quoted I have said before on here MG must have got them figures in June or July at about 26 degrees. Certainly not in this weather we have at the present time.
Les

To be fair, Les, ALL manufacturers do the same re. WLTP figures. In fact WLTP mandates a standard testing regime (AFAIK) so that comparisons can be fair ... the same as applies for efficiency figures for ICE vehicles. :)

I've always thought of it as a 160 mile range car. I'm hoping that it will make the return 190mile trip from Warrington to Doncaster, where my family live, all year round. I'll probably have to take it easy in winter but summer should be fine to drive at 70mph.

Good to hear someone with generally positive reports. I guess it's the nature of things that only people with negative experiences are motivated to post. Be good to hear more positive experiences so I can feel a bit more confident - I've gone from really looking forward to picking the car up to dreading the seemingly inevitable problems.

This place is incredibly schizophrenic - half the people posting are complaining about a load of issues and talking about cancelling/returning their cars and the other half complaining they can't get one fast enough!

Good to hear someone with generally positive reports. I guess it's the nature of things that only people with negative experiences are motivated to post. Be good to hear more positive experiences so I can feel a bit more confident - I've gone from really looking forward to picking the car up to dreading the seemingly inevitable problems.
I agree and that was my main motivation for posting. I felt the same way before pick-up so wanted others to know that not everyone has problems.

I'm still concerned about the car taking us hostage at some point though.

This place is incredibly schizophrenic - half the people posting are complaining about a load of issues and talking about cancelling/returning their cars and the other half complaining they can't get one fast enough!
I'm fairly new to this forum but I realised early on that there's a small group of members that post an awful lot and have sometimes driven themselves into a bit of a frenzy at times with the discussions on faults and rejections, etc.

In order to get the true picture you need to recognise the outliers when looking at it all but it can be very difficult at times as often these outliers are the most vocal.

To be fair, Les, ALL manufacturers do the same re. WLTP figures. In fact WLTP mandates a standard testing regime (AFAIK) so that comparisons can be fair ... the same as applies for efficiency figures for ICE vehicles. :)
I do agree siteguru but it can and does get EVs a bad name in the range stakes, me have been driving EVs for a while now and knowing what to expect I’m not to concerned but this new battery technology that I now have in the MG4 SR is confusing me more by the day I will be showing some figures about this last week of what the range as been like but up to now there is no contest between the MG5 SR that I have have just sold and the MG4 SR my 5 was much better having said that I think the charge figures % and range on the GOM are somewhere else but I’m not prepared to disbelieve what it’s saying while I’m away from home and with very poor charging infrastructure mainly have to rely on the granny.
Les.

There are only three things that have their head above the parapet in my opinion
Key not recognised deadlock
Oil leak
Undertray

Gnat bites on an elephants behind are
LKA...just turn off
Software niggles
Windscreen washers
other problematic but 🤷‍♂️ stuff

On the horizon...winter range

I would rather go in eyes wide open than blind though

Its early days for the MG4, a brand new car from the ground up.
I've have mine since 11 Nov, I also probably fall into the more regular posters as well.
Steeling and commenting on the list from m @the briggie (thanks Alan), with my comments:

Key not recognised deadlock, not experienced this and don't really want too. MG seem to be taking this seriously having reported it, investigation ongoing, these kind of difficult to reproduce issues are difficult to diagnose and hence fix. I'm agile enough I could exit through the boot. It seems the car will continue on its journey until you put it in park I think. That doesn't reduce the seriousness of it, I've not had the issue.
Oil leak, no leak for me yet
Undertray, yes I've got this and want it fixed though happy to drive the car as is until there is a clear known fix.

Gnat bites on an elephants behind are
LKA...turned off
Software niggles, yes but all resolvable
Windscreen washers, not found it an issue but not really had the need to use them either so jury out
other stuff, very minor scuffs on the wheels from the covers, tapped to avoid a long term scratch. Though this would remain hidden behind the covers for most.

Winter range I'm ok with what I'm getting from my Trophy, after last charge to 90% on Tuesday was showing 230 miles, currently @ 66% 148 m on the GoM.

I'm very happy with the car, my expectation is it will take bit of time to shake out all the teething issues

I'm fairly new to this forum but I realised early on that there's a small group of members that post an awful lot and have sometimes driven themselves into a bit of a frenzy at times with the discussions on faults and rejections, etc.

In order to get the true picture you need to recognise the outliers when looking at it all but it can be very difficult at times as often these outliers are the most vocal.
Agreed. The biggest group of members are the ones that don’t post regularly and this distorts the picture.

@Les burrows That's why I'm recording my (home) charge figures vs mileage used, so I can calculate a more real-world efficiency. :) (My spreadsheet also takes into account charging losses)
Guru I bet you're that guy at work that gets it done. The one that every other person auto defers to when there's a problem. 😁

So similar to our thoughts

Great car for money

Did you take the i8 to Scotland. Seems most people who had the chargemaster one wassed it up north for a road trip

Great car that though

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel