22kw charging

I use the cable every day to charge at work and the 22kW 3 phase version is much thicker and less convenient to handle than the 7kW single phase cable we had with our previous LEAF. So much so that I would actually consider going single phase next time.

The only car (as mentioned already on other posts) that can make proper use of a 22kvh charger is the Renault Zoe). So unfortunately you cannot under any circumstances make proper use of the 22kvh charger, you will however still get the rate that your on board charger can provide.

The 22kwhr chargers that are dotted around the country are completely misleading and unusable at that rate for nearly all EV’s, for the reasons mentioned. It’s like 3 phase charging capability built into an EV - almost completely pointless in the UK for home use - getting 3 phase at home is just not practicable

I'd just like to say my car charges quite happily to 22kw AC, but it's crap 😉

Its the charge the car will accept ie ZSEV will only accept 7kw single phase. If you plug it into a 22kw three phase charger you will only get 7kw single phase. If the car can take 11kw three phase and is plugged into the 22kw charger you will only get 11kw three phase. So if your car can only accept a single phase charge there is no point getting a three phase cable

The only car (as mentioned already on other posts) that can make proper use of a 22kvh charger is the Renault Zoe). So unfortunately you cannot under any circumstances make proper use of the 22kvh charger, you will however still get the rate that your on board charger can provide.

I'd just like to say my car charges quite happily to 22kw AC, but it's crap 😉
It won’t run right on uk electricity.

Its the charge the car will accept ie ZSEV will only accept 7kw single phase. If you plug it into a 22kw three phase charger you will only get 7kw single phase. If the car can take 11kw three phase and is plugged into the 22kw charger you will only get 11kw three phase. So if your car can only accept a single phase charge there is no point getting a three phase cable

Unless as the person who asked the question stated "they can get a 32a 3 phase cheaper than a single phase" then ££££ saved makes sense don't you think..

P.s I cannot find an equivalent 32a 3 phase any cheaper than a 7kw single phase on Amazon but perhaps I am looking in the wrong place

Just to confuse things a bit more; the AC charge points in car parks and at home are not chargers they are 230v AC power supplies. Either single phase 7.4kw, or 3 phase 22kw. You can use any of these no matter what the charger is in the car. The charger in the car converts the AC to DC and will be 6.6kw, 9.8kw (ish) and 400+volts output to the DC battery. There are some electric motorcycles that charge at 12kw using two 6.6kw on board chargers from a 3phase 22kw charge point too and from memory only the Zoe has the full 22kw available. At 6.6kw you should get about 30 miles of range per hour of charging.

Just to confuse things a bit more; the AC charge points in car parks and at home are not chargers they are 230v AC power supplies. Either single phase 7.4kw, or 3 phase 22kw. You can use any of these no matter what the charger is in the car. The charger in the car converts the AC to DC and will be 6.6kw, 9.8kw (ish) and 400+volts output to the DC battery. There are some electric motorcycles that charge at 12kw using two 6.6kw on board chargers from a 3phase 22kw charge point too and from memory only the Zoe has the full 22kw available. At 6.6kw you should get about 30 miles of range per hour of charging.
I get that but (colloquially) they are commonly known as chargers, even advertised as such, and we don't need/want to confuse newbies any more that they are already probably 🥴

I get that but (colloquially) they are commonly known as chargers, even advertised as such, and we don't need/want to confuse newbies any more that they are already probably 🥴
Charge point or charging station is probably the usual description but yes charger is used 🙃🙃. Using charger confuses the issue for newbies as they will be under the impression that using a 22kw public ‘charger’ will mean they get 22kw charging (as here in this thread). Best to be aware of the difference, it’s a shame most car sales people don’t explain things ev very well as we hear a lot of newbies complaining that they didn’t know this and that about their car. It’s great to have a forum as friendly as this one so people can ask about anything electric, MG should have cards printed with the web address so people can ask all the questions before and after purchase, it would definitely help with their sales 🙂🙂

I did post this on hints and tips as a basic overview...and I mean basic. Interested in your opinion and any suggested improvements whilst keeping it at a base level

I did post this on hints and tips as a basic overview...and I mean basic. Interested in your opinion and any suggested improvements whilst keeping it at a base level

That’s great, nice and easy to understand 👍🏻 . I’d just add that the 12v DC to DC works like an ice cars alternator powering all the 12v needs from the main battery for a simple comparison 🙂

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back