22kw charging

OK, but if you read it he is not asking for 22kw. He is asking how he can get faster than 7kw given he doesn't have an LR model following on from his query about installing an 11kw charge unit. I believe he is a little bit upset that bought the 7kw SR when he has a 22kw charger at work that would have given him 11kw 3 phase charging capability. To myself it just means more time on the charger but 7kw, given it is the home charger rate, is acceptable given he may be getting it at a subsidised rate.

Hopefully someone can help and answer this as I am at a loss. There is a car park near my work that has free EV chargers that you can use, just pay for parking. they are meant to give 22kw charging. I tried it with the cable that came with the car and got only 6.5kw so bought a 3 phase charging cable that is meant to achieve 22kw (at least that is what it was advertised at). tried it today and it still only gives me 6.5kw max. what am i missing? the car's charging setting is on max. the manual says to remove the cover under the charging port which I have done. Can't see anything else that I am missing. Thanks
Hi,

it is quite simple, but you won't like the answer. First of all one must be aware of the fact that the ONLY current that charges your car's main battery is DC, however you have people talking about AC and DC charging (when in reality it's ALL DC charging).

All EV Cars have an on board charger which converts the AC being fed to it to DC (this is the AC charging). It is the conversion rate of the on board charger that determines the DC rate you can charge at when receiving a charging source that is AC. Almost ALL EV car's max out at 11kwh when AC charging, so all the discussions about three phase cables required for using 22kvh chargers is irrevelant.

The only car (as mentioned already on other posts) that can make proper use of a 22kvh charger is the Renault Zoe). So unfortunately you cannot under any circumstances make proper use of the 22kvh charger, you will however still get the rate that your on board charger can provide.

To put DC charging into proper context this bypasses the car's (all car's) on board charger and feeds DC direct to the battery.

If it is any consultation it took me many years of using EVs before I became aware of this and quite frankly dealers should brief potential owners on ALL aspects of charging, but they won't because it will affect sales. Hope this helps!!!

Frank

Note: When you come across a 22kwh charger you will notice that is will be labelled as a AC Charger even though it uses a CCS end which is normally associated with DC charging that is because the current coming from the cable is AC and is being fed to the on board charger even though it is a CCS end it will be configured differently than a DC CCS plug.

Last edited:
"Almost ALL EV car's max out at 11kwh when AC charging, so all the discussions about three phase cables required for using 22kvh chargers is irrevelant"

It is not irrelevant in context with the discussions on this forum. We are discussioning the fact that the car comes supplied with a single phase cable but you require a three phase cable to get the AC input the 11kw onboard charger unit can fullly take from a 22kw external charger on LR models. We are not discussing the car having 22kw charger onboard to be clear just the difference on 7 or 11kw cable/charger capability.

Some people have 22kw chargers at their workplace so to take full advantage of them three phase is required. At home 7kw is the max but you can still use a three phase cable on a 7kw single charger if it is 32a.

Last edited:
The 22kwhr chargers that are dotted around the country are completely misleading and unusable at that rate for nearly all EV’s, for the reasons mentioned. It’s like 3 phase charging capability built into an EV - almost completely pointless in the UK for home use - getting 3 phase at home is just not practicable

"Almost ALL EV car's max out at 11kwh when AC charging, so all the discussions about three phase cables required for using 22kvh chargers is irrevelant"

It is not irrelevant in context with the discussions on this forum. We are discussioning the fact that the car comes supplied with a single phase cable but you require a three phase cable to get the AC input the 11kw onboard charger unit can fullly take from a 22kw external charger on LR models. We are not discussing the car having 22kw charger onboard to be clear just the difference on 7 or 11kw cable/charger capability.

Some people have 22kw chargers at their workplace so to take full advantage of them three phase is required. At home 7kw is the max but you can still use a three phase cable on a 7kw single charger if it is 32a.
The point I would make about having a 22kW cable is 2 get the best rate on 3phase and single phase on an LR SE or Trophy.
Number of phases/voltage and amps a 3 phase 22kW cable means you can get 11kW from 3 phase i.e. 16amp across the 3 phase = 11kW and 7kW from a single phase i.e. 1 phase by 32 amp.
If you get a 3 phase 11kw cable each phase is restricted to 16 amp so on a single phase you get only 3.6 kW.
Hence is someone want 11kW with a LR I recommend a 22kW cable.

Assume its an SE LR with 11kw onboard charger. SE SR is only 7kw. Unless you have industrial type 3 phase mains feed in to your house 7kw will be the max charger for domestic use. If you are talking cable then 32a 3 phase type 2 cable will work on 22kw chargers to allow 11kw charging. Is that your question?

Assume its an SE LR with 11kw onboard charger. SE SR is only 7kw. Unless you have industrial type 3 phase mains feed in to your house 7kw will be the max charger for domestic use. If you are talking cable then 32a 3 phase type 2 cable will work on 22kw chargers to allow 11kw charging. Is that your question?

Yes I don't have one at home, max is 7KW, however I'm thinking out on the road there may be 22KW chargers available and therefore a 22KW cable would be better. We're talking about £15 difference between the two, so it seems a no brainer.

Yes I don't have one at home, max is 7KW, however I'm thinking out on the road there may be 22KW chargers available and therefore a 22KW cable would be better. We're talking about £15 difference between the two, so it seems a no brainer.
To get full use of the cable then you would need 32A 3 phase. If you get the a 3 phase cable at 16A then it will max out ok on a 22kW EVSE but not the full 7kW on a single phase EVSE.

Better buying a 11kw capable cable as it works on 7,11 and 22kw ac chargers if you want to use all types. So 32a 3 phase type 2 is the cable to get as stated above.

Just to clarify ... 32A 3-phase cable would be 22kW capable (as well as 11kW capable). ;)

Of course the car (assuming it is a LR model) will only charge as if it was connected to an 11kW source (so actual charging at about 9.5kW).

Just to clarify ... 32A 3-phase cable would be 22kW capable (as well as 11kW capable). ;)

Of course the car (assuming it is a LR model) will only charge as if it was connected to an 11kW source (so actual charging at about 9.5kW).

It is just a standard range model, therefore is a 22KW charge lead redundant?

Ok but if the 22KW charge lead is cheaper than the 7KW, which it is currently on Amazon, then I may as well order it?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back