25/01/21: Just had latest BMS software. Observations...

I mentioned the BMS software when I booked it in, and he saw on his system that there was an updated software release for that a couple of days ago. Am I right in thinking that this software should now be ok and bug free?
If it was the latest BMS update he was speaking about, then it was released by MG to the dealers on Friday 15th January 2021 and not "The other day" tell him.
Tail wagging the dog exercise again.
He has the information right in front of his eye's and he STILL can't get it right !.
Is this software okay now ?.
I have to say the jury is still out on this one, because it is still being tested by us owners.
It was developed to over come the problems created by the last two previous BMS updates, so you read into that what you will.
If you read back through the threads, then all will be evident.
It looks very much like all cars will have this software applied when the car is presented for service is my guess.
In some attempt to standardise the software packages on most cars now.
The "Comfort 2" software applied after the 24th October also had the "Buggy" soft ware hidden inside of it as well.
The previous two BMS updates have been removed from the data base now so they can prove no threat.
I ASSUME that problem with the "Comfort 2" software package has been addressed also.

If it was the latest BMS update he was speaking about, then it was released by MG to the dealers on Friday 15th January 2021 and not "The other day" tell him.
He has the information right in front of his eye's and he STILL can't get it right !.
I have to say the jury is still out on this one, because it is still being tested by us owners.
It was developed to over come the problems created by the last two previous BMS updates, so you read into that what you will.
It looks very much like all cars will have this software applied when the car is presented for service is my guess.
The "Comfort 2" software applied after the 24th October also had the "Buggy" soft ware hidden inside of it as well.
The previous two BMS updates have been removed from the data base now so they can prove no threat.
I ASSUME that problem with the "Comfort 2" software package has been addressed also.
The comfort update is separate and distinct from the BMS updates.

What is the "Buggy" software in the "Comfort 2" and whatb problems have been caused? Just asking because mine goes in for first service next week and I am wondering whether or not i should opt for The BMS ands HV Fuse protection upgrade. I already have Comfort 2.

What is the "Buggy" software in the "Comfort 2" and whatb problems have been caused? Just asking because mine goes in for first service next week and I am wondering whether or not i should opt for The BMS ands HV Fuse protection upgrade. I already have Comfort 2.
I put a list together.

I have been gathering interesting data from my car via OVMS over the last week. When I have more data I will post my findings.

First observation is that each charge with a full equalisation charge adds 0.75V to my car.

I have been gathering interesting data from my car via OVMS over the last week. When I have more data I will post my findings.

First observation is that each charge with a full equalisation charge adds 0.75V to my car.
I have no way of plotting the increase to my battery @Mike .
I am now on my 7th or 8th charge & balance process and have not seen a lot of fluctuation in the figures really?.
The reported range on the GOM has reduced slightly each time, but this could be weather related.
The voltage on the HV pack is always around 448 - 449 volts up to now.
I just wish I had never taken it in for the service etc now.
12 months and 9,000 miles of enjoyable EV driving and faultless charging at home.
Now I have a headache.
I can feel a trip to Chorley coming on here after lock down restrictions.

Mike, what voltage are you seeing after charge? I'm now showing 436V after equalising approx 10 times a week for 3 weeks (I charge\equalise at work as well as overnight). I'm observing an increase of about 0.4V per equalisation cycle. It seems a long way to 450V. MG told me it could take 1-2 months for the battery to recover, but for someone only charging\equalising once a week, it could take years (though their battery may not have got into the state mine is if they were charging infrequently).

Apart from the inconvenience, this is costing me a fortune as I can't utilise my cheap electricity from midnight till 5am (I need to start charging earlier and equalise through this period, plus charge at work at higher costs). Will be discussing this with MG shortly...

I have no way of plotting the increase to my battery @Mike .
I am now on my 7th or 8th charge & balance process and have not seen a lot of fluctuation in the figures really?.
The reported range on the GOM has reduced slightly each time, but this could be weather related.
The voltage on the HV pack is always around 448 - 449 volts up to now.
I just wish I had never taken it in for the service etc now.
12 months and 9,000 miles of enjoyable EV driving and faultless charging at home.
Now I have a headache.
I can feel a trip to Chorley coming on here after lock down restrictions.
At 448\449V you're almost at full charge. Are you not seeing the (real) range you're expecting?

At 448\449V you're almost at full charge. Are you not seeing the (real) range you're expecting?
Well, I guess the question is this, are we shooting for a finished target 450 volts or the unicorn mystical 455 figure ?.
If 450 volts is where we are now expecting to be happy with, then yes I am almost there.
But really, this should not be too much of a shock really because I did not have the "Buggy" software update.
I only had the very first small BMS update that allowed delayed charging on some wall boxes.
This was release Nov / Dec 2019.
The next update it received was the "Comfort 2" update on the 19th Oct 2020.
Just before the "Buggy" software problem started after the 24th Oct.
Therefore, I don't think my HV battery had been affected badly and that is maybe why my HV voltage is reporting a pretty consistence 448 - 449 volts.
It is extremely hard to judge the "Real" range right now due to C19 restrictions.
On the short trips I have been able to make, the consumption is hovering at around 3.1 kw/h.
The heater is NOT being spared at all in this weather !.
I suspect there is not anything fundamentally badly wrong with the car, it's just the charging problem that is concerning.
I mean, if there is one thing that has to work correctly on an electric car, it's the charging !.

Please tell me who is offering off-peak from 9pm. Thanks
EDF. 9pm TIL 7.am at 9p per KWh. Day rate is 20p per KWh. Standing charge 29p per day. This applies every day and from 9pm Fri TIL 8.00am Mon. NB thus changes by one hour when clocks go forward. Their standard Go electric tariff is just over 14p per KWh. Other rates are available with 5p per KWh from Octopus for four hours from stupid o clock. There seems to be little to be gained from swapping energy companies. They give on one rate and up the other or have a punitive standing daily charge.

So, just plugged in and I had 88% on the battery. Going to balance charge tonight and see whether my voltage increases higher than the 444v that I had on my last two charges
Pic below of the mileage and voltage when I plugged in.
View attachment 1312
Put it in E mode and turn off HVAC. You will then see up to 172miles, and probably at least 163.

Before the update I couldn't get to work and back (52 mile round trip). I'm not sure what my voltage was. My earliest recording of voltage was 429V on 21 Jan and am now on 436V (20 equalisation cycles later). I can now get to work and back, but expect my range is realistically below 80 miles. I have been driving consistently using ACC at speed limit, but using heated seat and breaking the chill (not hot) when necessary. I expect in Feb last year I would have traveled 110m under similar conditions

Please tell me who is offering off-peak from 9pm. Thanks
Hi @Trevor .
Sorry, only just spotted your request.
I am using the EDF EV tariff.
You get "Off - Peak" form 9.00pm until 7.0am Monday to Friday at 8p/kw.
And the same cheap rate ALL weekend.
Yes - I know Octopus is cheaper at 5p/kw - but this suits our usage patterns.

Before the update I couldn't get to work and back (52 mile round trip). I'm not sure what my voltage was. My earliest recording of voltage was 429V on 21 Jan and am now on 436V (20 equalisation cycles later). I can now get to work and back, but expect my range is realistically below 80 miles. I have been driving consistently using ACC at speed limit, but using heated seat and breaking the chill (not hot) when necessary. I expect in Feb last year I would have traveled 110m under similar conditions
Mine is going in on Tuesday for first service and BMS and Fuse update. From what you say I might put off the BMS upgrade.
BTW If you are using ACC you do not have the benefit of KERS and are therefore not getting any regen when slowing down . Not using ACC might extend your range.

Hi @Trevor .
Sorry, only just spotted your request.
I am using the EDF EV tariff.
You get "Off - Peak" form 9.00pm until 7.0am Monday to Friday at 8p/kw.
And the same cheap rate ALL weekend.
Yes - I know Octopus is cheaper at 5p/kw - but this suits our usage patterns.
Hi Trevor
EDF charges went up to 9p from Jan 31. Their daily standing charge and daily rate charge also went up. It is still, I think one of the most competitive rates around and benefits from the 98 hours per week on the cheaper rate. Octopus is a joke as its cheap rate is only for four hours early a.m. and sometimes charges exorbitant daily rates ( depending on the tariff you sign up to).

First full charge on the "Granny charger" and it's showing 453 Volts & 133 miles in normal mode.
Outside temp at present is -1C.
odtguLul.jpg

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom