25/01/21: Just had latest BMS software. Observations...

Very similar thoughts here.
Good to see a a check sheet provided.
Seems wrong to not record the battery %s and instead ticks.
I’ve never know anyone to remove wheels during a service, quite the opposite - I think I asked once for some reason and they said they cannot remove items.
On my previous PHEV - I requested the wheels to be rotated roughly every 5,000 miles.
This was in line with the manufactures recommendations, but could be chargeable.
I was never charged for this service though !.

YOU might, but the dealer don't !
The MG ZS EV maintenance check sheet says 'remove front and rear wheels'...'visually examine front brake pads rear brake pads...'
Are you saying that the MG dealer will not follow the MG official 'Maintenance Check Sheet?
Trading standards would have something to say about that, work charged for but not carried out.

N
The MG ZS EV maintenance check sheet says 'remove front and rear wheels'...'visually examine front brake pads rear brake pads...'
Are you saying that the MG dealer will not follow the MG official 'Maintenance Check Sheet?
No - If you go back to my comment at #353 and read it again - you will see that I am giving praise to MG if they do indeed remove the road wheels at service time.
I know NO other manufacture that does this on a first service.

N

No - If you go back to my comment at #353 and read it again - you will see that I am giving praise to MG if they do indeed remove the road wheels at service time.
N

You said 'the dealer dont' I responded to that as the MG dealers do.

I do know other manufacturers that do. Ford, Suzuki, Kia (who also check wheel alignment free of charge), for your information.

Here's my first service sheet from dealerView attachment 1464View attachment 1465

Regarding this battery State Of Charge and State Of Health % that wasn't filled in.

I've been trying to find out more about this OVMS thing, info doesn't seem to be readily available.
Anyway I've been trawling this website and come across a discussion involving SOH:
Mike has said on there, you can see your battery State of Health (SOH) in OVMS. Mine is over 98% after 14 months & 14,000 miles.

So one must assume that the MG technicians have simple access to this item of data when they plug in, therefore I don't understand why they wouldn't fill it in on the form. It's quite an important & integral thing on the car if you ask me.

Both BMW and ALL the VAG group cars cars do not remove the wheels at normal service schedules, why would they when brake pad wear can be detected from behind the wheel ?.
I am not doubting your word regarding Ford etc, but I am having trouble understanding why they would feel compelled to remove the wheels on a car just to inspect the brake pad condition on the first service ?.
MG are removing the wheels to check on there condition, for some strange reason ?.
Makes it really easy to check the brake pads at the same time though.
Brake pad wear on an EV is extremely low compared to any ICE car due to the regen.
It has been said that brake pad linings are likely to out last the car on an EV - and I can truelly believe that !.
My previous VW PHEV was only 2 months old when I bought it ( X Demo ).
I owned the car for almost five years and 30,000 miles, it was serviced by the agents every year without fail.
Each time it was serviced, they gave it a report that included the front brake pad wear.
On the first service it said the pads where about 10% worn.
On year two, it reported 20% and on year three it went back UP to 10% worn.
I spoke to the senior master tech and he said that the wear recorded was a pure guess work really.
The wear is so small it was impossible to measure accurately unless you removed the pads and measured them to a brand new set from the parts department !.
This involves time and money and the customer does not need that much level of detail.
So, they leave the wheels on the car and do a visual check from the back of the wheel to keep cost and work down to a minimum.
Wheel alignment can only be checked with the necessary equipment, it can not be checked by a visual inspection like brake pads.
They CHECK the wheel alignments for free, but hope to gain the money received for making any adjustments to the steering geometry.
You get nothing for nothing !.

I too was given the same check sheets as @Trevor following my first service. Pretty much identical except I had lower mileage and less tyre wear. The SOC was populated with 62.1% and SOH was given as 100%.

The check sheet was placed in a cardboard wallet that confirmed 12 months MG assistance with every MG server. The number to call for MG assistance is 0800 072 3338 if relevant to anyone.

I am cynical about wheel alignment checking. I have never once had a check where they have said its fine - they always find a reason to make an adjustment and charge. I'm pretty sure you could drive out of one garage following an adjustment and go straight to another garage who would claim it was out of alignment.

I am cynical about wheel alignment checking. I have never once had a check where they have said its fine - they always find a reason to make an adjustment and charge. I'm pretty sure you could drive out of one garage following an adjustment and go straight to another garage who would claim it was out of alignment.
I agree.
A lot of basic mistakes can be made with wheel alignment checks and adjusting !.
When done 100% correctly it should not need playing with.
If your tyre wear has been normal over a couple of years, then suddenly you are told your "Tracking Is Out Mate" - question why.
If you have kerbed your wheel hard enough to change the state of your steering geometry, then you would know it !.
The tracking just does not just "Go Out" as they put it.
All four wheel laser alignment has improved things a lot now, but it is only as good as the person using the equipment.

So true lol.

I am going to pay the dealer £100 in a years time though & not risk anything, to look at it and say "yeah you're good to go" lol.
Hopefully they'll at least clean the car for my money lol!!!!
I specifically ask the dealer not to wash my car! The quick and dirty job you get usually leaves scratches.

Some further observations some 1000 miles in from the Jan 2021 BMS update.

It is still taking hours from 100% charge being reached before equalisation is completed.

Seems to have settled at 449V when fully charged and equalised with everything off. If departing at 100% but before equalisation is finished it may be displaying 447-448V.

Regen available pretty much immediately. Using max regen and you may see 452 or 453V early in a journey.

The GoM doesn't seem as linear as it was. Range seems to go down quicker than expected down until about 2 blobs (36% ish) then, after you are starting to get concerned you might not reach you destination, consumption seems to slow. I'm getting around 70 miles for first 65% of battery and 50 miles for final 35% mixed driving in N with heating on in temps near freezing.

I haven't endured any of those painful slow sub 30kW Rapid charges since the update, and have mostly been charging at 42-46kW on a 50kW charger. Maybe I have been lucky or have got the SoC and battery temperature into the goldilocks zone before attempting a rapid charge, but maybe the BMS update has improved this?

An interesting point on some EV brakes is that due to their relative lack of use the brake pads can seize in the brake callipers. The Model 3 can be prone to this as the brakes are hardly used on some cars using one pedal driving. It’s straightforward to remove the pads, clean and regrease though.

An interesting point on some EV brakes is that due to their relative lack of use the brake pads can seize in the brake callipers. The Model 3 can be prone to this as the brakes are hardly used on some cars using one pedal driving. It’s straightforward to remove the pads, clean and regrease though.
Maybe an unintended side effect of the car not using regen with the cruise control, the brakes still get a workout.

Some further observations some 1000 miles in from the Jan 2021 BMS update.

It is still taking hours from 100% charge being reached before equalisation is completed.

Seems to have settled at 449V when fully charged and equalised with everything off. If departing at 100% but before equalisation is finished it may be displaying 447-448V.

Regen available pretty much immediately. Using max regen and you may see 452 or 453V early in a journey.

The GoM doesn't seem as linear as it was. Range seems to go down quicker than expected down until about 2 blobs (36% ish) then, after you are starting to get concerned you might not reach you destination, consumption seems to slow. I'm getting around 70 miles for first 65% of battery and 50 miles for final 35% mixed driving in N with heating on in temps near freezing.

I haven't endured any of those painful slow sub 30kW Rapid charges since the update, and have mostly been charging at 42-46kW on a 50kW charger. Maybe I have been lucky or have got the SoC and battery temperature into the goldilocks zone before attempting a rapid charge, but maybe the BMS update has improved this?
Brilliant feedback @WalkingBootWeather .
Nobody appears to have passed the 448 - 450 volt mark post latest BMS update.
It now comes to light, that MG has decided to "Peg" the max voltage at this figure now.
I have only done about six charge / balance processes and yes I agree, the balancing is taking more time than I am comfortable with.
I find the Regen is available earlier now, but as the battery level drops, it does not appear to increase in strength as much as it use too somehow.
More "Linear" ???????.
Hard to describe, but it is different from the original set up that's for sure.
We are unable to make any trips, unless we are going to the super market !.
Therefore trying to make any range comparison between "Pre & Post" updates is impossible.
On the good old original factory software, the orange warning message of low range would activate between 35 - 40 miles of remaining range on the GOM.
Is your still displaying a similar situation ?.
On longer trips ( remember them ) in the better weather, I found the GOM to be pretty accurate.
One mile of range consumed about 1 mile from the GOM.
I have absolutely NO idea how this latest update has affected this situation of course.
Never been a big supporter of charging my car all the way to the Max - unless I have a long journey to make and then use the car on the same day.
Now I find myself charging when not required, in attempt to balance the pack as recommended.
At first chasing the unicorn figure of 455 volts that has now been amended back to 450 volts.
I really am not convinced that my HV battery was badly affected by a massive loss in range, because it never had the "Buggy" software updates done.
So, why am I chasing that unicorn in my dreams ?.
Bugger that !.
I consider I have really tried to look after my HV pack over the last 12 months, now I find myself going against my better judgement and banging in charge at every opportunity under mixed messages from the manufacture.
One week the pack voltage should be 455 volts - next week it's 450 volts.
Left hand - Right hand comes to mind !.

Brilliant feedback @WalkingBootWeather .
Nobody appears to have passed the 448 - 450 volt mark post latest BMS update.
It now comes to light, that MG has decided to "Peg" the max voltage at this figure now.
I have only done about six charge / balance processes and yes I agree, the balancing is taking more time than I am comfortable with.
I find the Regen is available earlier now, but as the battery level drops, it does not appear to increase in strength as much as it use too somehow.
More "Linear" ???????.
Hard to describe, but it is different from the original set up that's for sure.
We are unable to make any trips, unless we are going to the super market !.
Therefore trying to make any range comparison between "Pre & Post" updates is impossible.
On the good old original factory software, the orange warning message of low range would activate between 35 - 40 miles of remaining range on the GOM.
Is your still displaying a similar situation ?.
On longer trips ( remember them ) in the better weather, I found the GOM to be pretty accurate.
One mile of range consumed about 1 mile from the GOM.
I have absolutely NO idea how this latest update has affected this situation of course.
Never been a big supporter of charging my car all the way to the Max - unless I have a long journey to make and then use the car on the same day.
Now I find myself charging when not required, in attempt to balance the pack as recommended.
At first chasing the unicorn figure of 455 volts that has now been amended back to 450 volts.
I really am not convinced that my HV battery was badly affected by a massive loss in range, because it never had the "Buggy" software updates done.
So, why am I chasing that unicorn in my dreams ?.
Bugger that !.
I consider I have really tried to look after my HV pack over the last 12 months, now I find myself going against my better judgement and banging in charge at every opportunity under mixed messages from the manufacture.
One week the pack voltage should be 455 volts - next week it's 450 volts.
Left hand - Right hand comes to mind !.
My orange warning for low battery came on at 22 miles the other day. It used to be at 30. And with the state of my battery, I don't know what range I actually had left. Before the BMS update, I was consuming about 7 miles for each mile traveled, and the GOM would count down 10, 9, 8 and then jump to "- - - -".

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom