25/01/21: Just had latest BMS software. Observations...

IMG_0922.PNG

Voice activated command control is a nice feature they have.
You can control the windows and sunroof etc by voice control.
No server - No chance !.
Yes , all functions of the car can be controlled with voice . Hey MG “OPEN THE SUN ROOF”
Hey MG navigate to xxxx place . It’s like SIRI

Damn, I wish the UK had the app! Would prove so useful to monitor it whilst public charging.

I'm getting the latest BMS update tomorrow - hoping it's not buggy!
Maybe a good idea to take a note of your range and voltage on the HV Pack before it goes in?.
You then have a point to compare the results ?.

Forgot to say :- The pack needs to be fully charged and balanced first before taking you readings.
Oh ..... Make a note of how long the charging / balancing process takes also !.
The main cause of complaint from customers, appears to be a large loss / high consumption of available range.
Also, they are receiving the red warning message to charge now, when the GOM is still showing 50 miles of range left.
Then it has been noted that the balancing process is taking up to 7 hours !.
Also, that the voltage reported by the HV pack after a full charge is around 230 - 235 volts.
What is expected is a voltage of 455 volts, but after the latest BMS update, it could take 4 - 6 charging / balancing processes on a A/C wall box or Granny, to rebalance the cells.
Three people ( including myself ) have seen 450 volts after a full charge and a reported range of 162 miles on the GOM after receiving the latest BMS update released on the 15th Jan 2021.
There is survey running on the forum where you can input your findings.

Just had the latest BMS applied too. Hadn't experienced as big a range drop off as some, but I haven't driven much or used a rapid since previous version was applied in early November.

I agree that regen does appear to be stronger but haven't recharged yet.

Logically to balance battery we need to run it quite low SoC then fully charge / equalise on a fast or granny charger then repeat several times right? I'm assuming it won't balance as well if we don't run the battery fairly low first, or rapid charge to 80% then finish off on a granny?

I have a 400+ mile round trip to do on Monday and could do with the battery being as healthy as possible before I set off.

I am glad that you feeling happy, but I am a little puzzled why you though you had a problem with the car if it was returning these type of figures for 4 months of ownership, before it went in ?.
Was the car consuming the range too quickly, or did the dealer just apply the latest update while the car was in for other work ?.
I went to the dealer to fit the green plates and they applied the BMS update among other updates that were available for the car. Yes I'm very happy with mine it's a great car, even after the updates.

Second full charge after the update. I'm now showing 449v, the first was 450v, but only just as it flashed between 149\150 several times before settling on the higher figure.

I've not had chance to time the balancing yet.

Range is now showing only 134 miles on normal setting, but I think its allowing for last usage, which was a 45 mile motorway run at 70, so doesn't tell us much.

Last edited:
Reading what you guys have said about the newest software is making me contemplate whether it's worth risking it in my car.
It's due to be updated tomorrow, but as far as I'm aware I don't have the crappy BMS update of October. I collected it new 20th December and asked for the latest BMS update to be carried out at PDI - however I still can't charge unlocked so assumed it wasn't done.

I've just taken it off charge and the pic below shows the Voltage and range:

Attachments

• PXL_20210127_193014698.jpg
    PXL_20210127_193014698.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 163
Reading what you guys have said about the newest software is making me contemplate whether it's worth risking it in my car.
It's due to be updated tomorrow, but as far as I'm aware I don't have the crappy BMS update of October. I collected it new 20th December and asked for the latest BMS update to be carried out at PDI - however I still can't charge unlocked so assumed it wasn't done.

I've just taken it off charge and the pic below shows the Voltage and range:
I wouldn't touch those results. If it ain't broke.......

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom