25/01/21: Just had latest BMS software. Observations...

Reading what you guys have said about the newest software is making me contemplate whether it's worth risking it in my car.
It's due to be updated tomorrow, but as far as I'm aware I don't have the crappy BMS update of October. I collected it new 20th December and asked for the latest BMS update to be carried out at PDI - however I still can't charge unlocked so assumed it wasn't done.

I've just taken it off charge and the pic below shows the Voltage and range:
I never had problems with the BMS, I was getting 457v and 179mi Eco/163mi Normal, after new BMS update I got 450v and the same 179mi Eco/163mi Normal, so I wouldn't be worried about voltage because range is what matters.

I never had problems with the BMS, I was getting 457v and 163mi Eco/179mi Normal, after new BMS update I got 450v and the same 163mi Eco/179mi Normal, so I wouldn't be worried about voltage because range is what matters.
Eco mode mileage should be more than Normal mode?

Don't forget that they can alter the top voltage and bottom voltage, so they can knock 5 volts off the top, but allowed it to go 5 volts lower at the bottom buffer end if that makes sense, resulting in the same useable capacity, but we won't know until people compare the lower voltages aswell, I wouldn't assume that just because they've lowered the top voltage there's less useable capacity in the battery. They may have also done this to help preserve battery life, so it may be necessary for the warranty?

Does anybody know the voltage the low battery comes on with the various updates. I get 455V 170 miles on the meter after balancing without any of the updates. My dealer said I could have the BMS update but it is not needed for battery health? unlocked slow charging not needed by me.

Привет, кто-нибудь знает, сколько ячеек последовательно соединены в основной батарее MG ZS EV?

Ok. I think that it’s how this is managed that’s causing concern. I’m pretty sure if you were to add up all the face value rated output of the cells they would total what was expected - however, the amount of usable capacity is managed for safety and longevity - this is at the heart of the debate around BMS 🙂

So I had the first service done today. The garage also applied the latest BMS update along with the HV fuse protection update.

My car hasn't had any previous BMS updates after the comfort 2 earlier this year, so this may, or may not, be relevant.

Anyway, unlike the previous BMS updates, reported by others on here, the car only commences AC charging once locked, and stops when you unlock. It won't slow charge unlocked! The only other thing I've noticed is if you do unlock the car whilst charging, it takes a few seconds longer to turn off the charging, before it was almost instant.

I'll be interested to see if others can still AC charge unlocked after the latest BMS update.

I'll report back on the final voltage after charging fully tomorrow, until now my car has shown 453v.
First year service today - will report back later !!

IMG_20210128_093752053.jpg
IMG_20210128_093743653.jpg
IMG_20210128_093733148.jpg
IMG_20210128_093723753.jpg
Just for info.
Taken this morning, no BMS update.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom