• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

2nd MG4 - 2nd Seat issue!

I'm seriously thinking of adding a bit more money and getting something else, I had the Mégane, cupra and Niro as well as the MG4 on my shortlist, the other 3 are far superior in terms of quality and cabin than the 4, I went with that as I like the drive and thought it was a bargain, happy to compromise a bit on quality. The other cars all have their own negative aspects, I've driven them all!
The Cupra buttons and screen are a wee bit fiddly/laggy, but the car drives amazing, better than the 4.
The Mégane torque steers a bit and is a wee bit tight width wise in the back but the quality and the Google infotainment system is on another level to the 4.
The Niro was outstanding but you can wait forever on one.
I had a Corsa EV as a company run about, although smaller, and not so much bells and whistles as the 4( only good if they work) it didn't miss a day and I was getting 200+ easy with it.
Company has Kona ev's also and again not the most spacious but not aware of any major issues

I'm seriously thinking of adding a bit more money and getting something else, I had the Mégane, cupra and Niro as well as the MG4 on my shortlist, the other 3 are far superior in terms of quality and cabin than the 4, I went with that as I like the drive and thought it was a bargain, happy to compromise a bit on quality. The other cars all have their own negative aspects, I've driven them all!
The Cupra buttons and screen are a wee bit fiddly/laggy, but the car drives amazing, better than the 4.
The Mégane torque steers a bit and is a wee bit tight width wise in the back but the quality and the Google infotainment system is on another level to the 4.
The Niro was outstanding but you can wait forever on one.
I had a Corsa EV as a company run about, although smaller, and not so much bells and whistles as the 4( only good if they work) it didn't miss a day and I was getting 200+ easy with it.
Company has Kona ev's also and again not the most spacious but not aware of any major issues
Thanks for the info it's much appreciated
I'm having a look at the Citroen eC4 too.
All reviews say how comfortable and quiet it is.
Same underpinnings as the Corsa and all the other stellantis stuff.
Handling will be very different from the MG4 but comfort means everything to me.
Plus it has all the other stuff I miss on the MG4 SE
360 cameras
Leather trim
Heated/massage seats
Heated steering wheel
Sunroof
Less range yes
The one I've seen is £28750
6 months old
So still has 2.5 years warranty
3.5k miles
Going to try get a test drive tomorrow and see what it's like.
🤞🏻

The Corsa (and other Stellantis cars on the same platform) are not known for their efficiency - quite the opposite. The only defence of the MG4 I can see is a probable difference in weather or speeds.

The Corsa (and other Stellantis cars on the same platform) are not known for their efficiency - quite the opposite. The only defence of the MG4 I can see is a probable difference in weather or speeds.
I currently own a Corsa E. MG4 on order. Whilst the Corsa has done the job perfectly fine efficiency in the winter is absolutely atrocious especially considering it has a heat pump. I’ve done 20k in it and I’ve never once got anywhere near the claimed 200 mile range either, think in the region of 160 was my absolute best in perfect conditions. (Admittedly most of my driving is a 60 mile round trip motorway commute) but what should have got me comfortably to work and back twice on a charge… I never risk it. The GOM is absolutely useless and you also need the stars to align perfectly for the vauxhall app to work for your preheat/charging data etc.

Well Jester27 l am sorry this 2nd car also not not worked out for you, and I’m more sorry to see you leave the forum, but I’m not sure you going to find any thing to might you needs in an EV at the price point, have you thought of perhaps giving the 5 a try the seats in that are very comfortable after more than 18 months driving on I can assure you of that and it is much better on mileage in my book so far having both to compare the 5 is winning hands down in the mpkwh race. My 5SR does over 4 mpkwh no matter what the weather.
Anyhow good luck in what ever you decide.
Les

Last edited:
Well Jester27 l am sorry this 2nd car also not not worked out for you, and I’m more sorry to see you leave the forum, but I’m not sure you going to find any thing to might you needs in an EV at the price point, have you thought of perhaps giving the 5 a try the seats in that are very comfortable after more than 18 months driving on I can assure you of that and it is much better on mileage in my book so far having both to compare the 5 is winning hands down in the mpkwh race. My 5SR does over 4 mpkwh no matter what the weather.
Anyhow good luck in what ever you decide.
Les
Thanks Les
It's definitely going to be a struggle to find something else without throwing a bit of extra money at it, which I really don't want to have to do.
But if needs must then what will be will be.
I'm not a lover of the 5 to be honest, my mk1 ZS was really comfy though too.
But I can't bring myself to get another ZS and have to put money to, after selling mine before the 1st MG4.
I made £2.5k on the ZS compared to what I paid for it, but would probably have to throw another £2-3k on top of what I got for it, to basically get another with the same age/miles etc
Psychologically I can't do that.
I wish I'd have kept it now and not bothered.
But you're right it's going to be tough to find something else without a bit extra.
I would go for a 64kw Kona but that would be at least another 2.5k on top of the MG4 money and would be 2-3 years old.
But I guess at least it'll have the longer Hyundai warranty still in tact.
And a 280 mile range to boot.

Will see what I can find over next few days.
My step son has a car dealership so I may see if he can grab me something off the motorway website as a trade buyer and maybe I can save a little there.

Thanks Les
It's definitely going to be a struggle to find something else without throwing a bit of extra money at it, which I really don't want to have to do.
But if needs must then what will be will be.
I'm not a lover of the 5 to be honest, my mk1 ZS was really comfy though too.
But I can't bring myself to get another ZS and have to put money to, after selling mine before the 1st MG4.
I made £2.5k on the ZS compared to what I paid for it, but would probably have to throw another £2-3k on top of what I got for it, to basically get another with the same age/miles etc
Psychologically I can't do that.
I wish I'd have kept it now and not bothered.
But you're right it's going to be tough to find something else without a bit extra.
I would go for a 64kw Kona but that would be at least another 2.5k on top of the MG4 money and would be 2-3 years old.
But I guess at least it'll have the longer Hyundai warranty still in tact.
And a 280 mile range to boot.

Will see what I can find over next few days.
My step son has a car dealership so I may see if he can grab me something off the motorway website as a trade buyer and maybe I can save a little there.
@Jester27 Have you checked out the face lifted version of the MG5? It’s a similar price to the MG4 Trophy:

Im going today to look at the updated one I have had the mk1 a while now and I’m happy with that but they are saying this is better we will see.
Also of course it will all come down to cost as well se what I can get for mine.
Les

Im going today to look at the updated one I have had the mk1 a while now and I’m happy with that but they are saying this is better we will see.
Also of course it will all come down to cost as well se what I can get for mine.
Les
Let us know how you get on Les. I‘m interested in it myself.

Les
If it were me and as you'll expect I'm rather cynical now.
I'd wait until there's a few in the MG5 forum posting about issues, hopefully it won't happen.
But after the MG4 debacle I'm not sure I'd jump into another new redesigned car just yet Les.
Maybe let some others be the guinea pigs first.
Like you say your MK1 is spot on.
My ZS MK1 was too, but look where we are now 🤷🏻‍♂️
I'd give it a while until we know more about it from other buyers.

I'm conflicted about the comment above. The MG4 is a completely new car rather than a mainly cosmetic facelift which is my understanding about the MG5. Yes some of the electronics are new so you might have concerns about (say) some of the iSmart features. But the underlying battery, motor, body structure etc are unchanged so you'd hope remain reliable.

I'm conflicted about the comment above. The MG4 is a completely new car rather than a mainly cosmetic facelift which is my understanding about the MG5. Yes some of the electronics are new so you might have concerns about (say) some of the iSmart features. But the underlying battery, motor, body structure etc are unchanged so you'd hope remain reliable.
You would yes, but like I say I'm cynical due to just wasting 6 weeks on 2 brand new cars.
After making the ZS EV and the 5 for a few years now, you would have hoped that there would be no issues with the MG4 either as they've built on already tried and tested technology, but that was not the case.
Cutting corners on quality control and pushing a car out to market that wasn't ready in my eyes..
I truly hope the MG5 doesn't fall foul to the same, if it does it will be another nail in MG's coffin.
True the MG5 is a facelift but how much else has been changed.
How many other corners have been cut.
How many more cost saving exercises have been put in place.
Only time will tell.
As I had with my 2nd MG4
Surely there can't be 2 cars with the same seat issue, hence me replacing it like for like.
But sadly no.
It wasn't a one off.
MG have been building the brand fantastically over the past 3-4 years and it shows in the interest in the MG4.
But with faults galore it won't take long for that to be tarnished.
I think it's a way of the world lately.
Money is tight across the board and its quality issues might expected on a budget car.
But £26k plus isn't a budget car really.

You would yes, but like I say I'm cynical due to just wasting 6 weeks on 2 brand new cars.
After making the ZS EV and the 5 for a few years now, you would have hoped that there would be no issues with the MG4 either as they've built on already tried and tested technology, but that was not the case.
Cutting corners on quality control and pushing a car out to market that wasn't ready in my eyes..
I truly hope the MG5 doesn't fall foul to the same, if it does it will be another nail in MG's coffin.
True the MG5 is a facelift but how much else has been changed.
How many other corners have been cut.
How many more cost saving exercises have been put in place.
Only time will tell.
As I had with my 2nd MG4
Surely there can't be 2 cars with the same seat issue, hence me replacing it like for like.
But sadly no.
It wasn't a one off.
MG have been building the brand fantastically over the past 3-4 years and it shows in the interest in the MG4.
But with faults galore it won't take long for that to be tarnished.
I think it's a way of the world lately.
Money is tight across the board and its quality issues might expected on a budget car.
But £26k plus isn't a budget car really.
I can totally understand why you are not thinking of another MG. However, all new cars will have some issues. So I think if avoiding issues is your priority, buy something that has been out for a minimum of two years and well debugged and accept you will not have the best tech or range.

I can totally understand why you are not thinking of another MG. However, all new cars will have some issues. So I think if avoiding issues is your priority, buy something that has been out for a minimum of two years and well debugged and accept you will not have the best tech or range.
That's the plan now buddy.
A couple of year old Hyundai is looking like a good choice for a replacement.
Decent range and at least it will still have a lengthy warranty just in case.

Hi again jester & Bugeyed I will get on to the car in a moment, I can see both sides with what you have said above and both of you have good points, so having now had a fair bit of time living with the 5 and true only a few weeks with the 4, one off the things since I got it that drove me mad with the 5 for a good while was because it can’t remember where you had set anything from when you last drove it and the 4 it’s the very same, the difference being on the 5 it’s simply a flick of two small switches to reset the drive mode and the regen levels but the 4 you have to either go through 4 screens or umpteen buttons on the steering wheel to get where you want to be, and it was said to be able to remember the set up you left it in, I brought this point up last night in the podcast and miles said they now have some updates hopefully to help this problem and other issues. I hope he right

Now today I have seen the updated MG5 and it is very nice indeed now here I have to agree with bugeyed apart from some cosmetic changes its the very same car and I’m sure any bugs in the drive train have been well ironed out by now so I’m not to worried about that, the thing I’m not to keen on is it’s very much like the 4 in the respect of controls all most all of them now are in that middle touch don’t get me wrong I think most EVs now are trying to follow the Tesla route with these touch screens and I don’t believe it’s the right thing to they are not easy to change on the move nor should you be in my opinion it’s very distracting and the wording is very small as they are not in the same class as Tesla in this respect I know because my son drives a model X and I have also used it but that screen is simply so much better than anything MG have.
On my currant 5 changing setting for drive & regen or the Havac is so much easier to do than the MG4 or the new 5 just straight forward buttons or switches.
So bigger wheels on the 5 trophy full set of lighting inside 2 in the front 2 in the rear and vanity mirror lights both sides plus LED front and rear so hopefully much better head lights I would think, the lights on the 4 are fantastic best I have seen even better than the lads Tesla they are I didn’t drive it today as it was very wet the sales chap do other me a drive but he would have to put trade plates on it and I said it can’t be much different than my own so I told him not to bother with the plates.
Thd interior’s very very nice I have to say and as mine is now very comfortable the centre console is much higher than mine but is it worth spending a further £12000 I’m not sure the xrtra range would be nice but for my longest trip these days a full charge at home should get me to my sons place it’s Around 230 miles but still couldn’t do it in one hit now need to stop anyway for a toilet break which I always do.
Like the car very much but also still happy with the one I have so is it worth it,
that’s the £12000 question.
Jester27 can I wish you once again good luck in with what you decide on I’ve no loyalties to MG it was just such a great deal the first time round about two years ago now and today I think they still are but if they are to keep ploughing ahead with they sales figures they need to listen to feed back a bit more nothing is perfect but it can be better quicker if people listen and learn from the people using there products that’s there has been little communication or feed back in what they are going to do to address the issues that come up with a brand new ground up vehicle which could make or break to a future.
Les

it was said to be able to remember the set up you left it in, I brought this point up last night in the podcast and miles said they now have some updates hopefully to help this problem and other issues. I hope he right

I think that we all hope that too.

So bigger wheels on the 5 trophy

Strictly it is only the rim diameter, not the overall diameter, that has changed. You could achieve this for less than £500 on your existing car if you wish.

Like the car very much but also still happy with the one I have so is it worth it,
that’s the £12000 question.

Personally I can't see it. Lots of "nice to haves" but nothing that's a game changer except in a negative way with the haptic controls. In your situation I'd stick, certainly for the first 6 months until any bugs in the facelifted model have been ironed out.

it can be better quicker if people listen and learn from the people using there products that’s there has been little communication or feed back in what they are going to do to address the issues that come up with a brand new ground up vehicle which could make or break to a future.

Exactly. So to pick on an example, will the updates referred to be Miles (above) be the subject of a recall or only applied at the first service or to those who complain? We'll see. :oops:

And now for this week's episode..

You really can't make this crap up.

Have taken my car back to the dealer to reject it and get my refund.
Only to find that when they've done a hpi check on it as per their process, there is outstanding finance showing against it even though I paid cash for it.
So can't refund...

This is what we can make out.... Basically in 2020 someone took out finance on A vehicle (not mine) and the dealer must have mistyped the reg on the finance agreement forms and used my personal reg instead.
Maybe one letter or number wrong.
so Santander are showing outstanding finance on my reg and now this MG4.
Even though the agreement is from 2020 when I had the plate on an SQ5 before switching to ZS EV and then my first MG4 and now this one none of which have had finance on them.

Santander's response is we can't remove the finance marker until they've been back to the original dealer who organised the finance in Dec 2020 (not for me or my car) as they must have typed the reg in wrong.
What if the dealer has gone busy says I ?
Then we'll have to go the person on the agreement and get the reg from them..
Meanwhile
I have no car or the £27k owed to me and none of this is mine or the dealer who I returned to's fault.
How the hell can a finance company have a financial interest in a reg and not the vin number.
So basically if whoever does have finance with Santander had stopped paying they would have been coming to reposses any of my cars including this one that was made 2 years after their agreement went into place.
What a joke.
Hopefully now the plate has been taken off the MG4 and it has its age related plate it will remove the finance as it's been on the plate not the car and I can get my refund.
I'll tell you what....
it never rains does it.. 🤦🏻‍♂️
My nerves are shot to sh!t with all this.
I will say though thanks to Read MG for the loan of an MG5 until it's all sorted out.
At least I can get to work and back now and not end up losing my job as well...

So I'm off to buy a Ferrari this afternoon, put my plate on it, then sell the plate to someone else and they can be responsible for me not paying for the Ferrari.
Unbelievable...

Tune in next week for another thrilling episode of
Jester and his ongoing car problems 🤣

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 422 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video