Aircon pump squeak / chirp.

Pump on my car has suddenly become noisy as hell after a mere 200 miles, squeak can be heard quite a distance from the car, anyone else had the same issue ?
If you put your hand on the pump when running there's a vibration in time with the chirp, not sure it's long for this world :unsure:
The oil leak has begun at the other end so I guess I'll be killing 2 birds with one stone when I give them a bell after Christmas:rolleyes:

.... the sad thing is, is that this will probably come back from the hierarchy as all within tolerance?
I hope they wouldn't try to pass this off as acceptable. The only positive I can see for the poor mechanics tasked with the warranty claims for this car is the accessibility is excellent.
Having the drive unit, inverter and charger at the rear really makes the HVAC, power steering, circ pumps and radiators a doddle to access.

Yup, that's it exactly. Looks like it's going to be a common issue to add to the pile
Hopefully won't be a common issue. There are hundreds of MG4's out there now and this is the first mention on here about it.

I'm sure those members without a MG4 that have been enjoying compiling long lists to fret about will be adding it in and sucking even more air through their teeth.

Let us know what the dealer says, hope they are helpful.

I'm sure those members without a MG4 that have been enjoying compiling long lists to fret about will be adding it in and sucking even more air through their teeth.
:giggle: Peeps do get excited. I'm not too bothered at the mo, just going to leave it over christmas to see how it develops .
Reversed the car up on my ramps today and found a lovely trail of golden oil from the gearbox breather down to the undertray, gonna have to keep an eye on that too.

Yup, she's high maintenance but such fun to drive I forgive her so far :giggle:

Mine makes this noise too and I’ve deamed it “normal / poor NVH engineering ( Noise, vibration, harshness )

although the AC compressor on my other car doesn’t sound like this, my other car has a engine that will mask most noise / vibration from the compressor.

Let me know if your dealer is willing to do anything / replace the compressor and I’ll get mine done under warranty.

although the AC compressor on my other car doesn’t sound like this, my other car has a engine that will mask most noise / vibration from the compressor.
It's a good point isn't it? and along with what Macadoodle mentioned about the motor/gearbox being in the back (meaning that most drivetrain noise is at the other end of the car) it wouldn't surprise me if it's a difficult task to persuade the dealer that warranty work is required. GL.

Mine makes this noise too and I’ve deamed it “normal / poor NVH engineering ( Noise, vibration, harshness )

Let me know if your dealer is willing to do anything / replace the compressor and I’ll get mine done under warranty.
Mine makes this noise, but it's getting progressively worse. Annoyingly I bought it from a dealer 150 miles away from where I live, but I'm back over that way over Christmas so will be asking them to take a look next week.

Lines booked in with the dealer to be first in the ramp for triaging whilst I wait on 4th Jan. I’ll update this thread with what they say.
The dealer has a had a look today. The technician sent a video to MG. They’ve come back and suggested a regas.

Worth a shot but I’m not too sure it will make much difference.

It’ll be going in for the new breather at the same time so nothing ventured nothing gained and all that.

I've noticed mine has started chirping. I need to call the dealer tomorrow to chase up the breather kit, so I'll mention this too (plus the SW updates).

Looks like I might need to let them have the car for a day.

I've noticed mine has started chirping. I need to call the dealer tomorrow to chase up the breather kit, so I'll mention this too (plus the SW updates).

Looks like I might need to let them have the car for a day.
It's an odd noise, comes and goes on mine. Definitely related to the variable speeds of the compressor, like somethings rubbing inside there.
Maybe it'll rub itself quiet if we're patient, just think MG will weasel their way out of it if it's not addressed sooner rather than later.

Hi,
Had my Trophy just before Christmas and mine makes a similar noise when stationary. It is not noticeable inside the car, only when you step out of the car before locking it up. So, not too concerned unless it gets louder. So far it has stayed at the same sound level since new.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back