Aircon pump squeak / chirp.

Pump on my car has suddenly become noisy as hell after a mere 200 miles, squeak can be heard quite a distance from the car, anyone else had the same issue ?
If you put your hand on the pump when running there's a vibration in time with the chirp, not sure it's long for this world :unsure:
The oil leak has begun at the other end so I guess I'll be killing 2 birds with one stone when I give them a bell after Christmas:rolleyes:

Definitely an audible ticking from my car, I notice it when coming out to the car pre-heating.
It’s not a chirp like you’d get from a knackered fan belt/pulley.

Can you turn the air con on and off and does it stop the noise?

So I get this noise. Do I have a AC compressor like this video. Because if we all do, then we all need to check this.

Mine chirps like the 24C version in the video. It's one of the things I'm getting the dealer to check when it's in for the oil fix next week.

Mine chirps like the 24C version in the video. It's one of the things I'm getting the dealer to check when it's in for the oil fix next week.
I hear mine when AC is on. I thought it was the fan but then I wasn't getting it all the time. Being the compressor makes sense now.

Mine also makes this noise. I can hear it from inside the car if the fan is set to 1 or 2. My LEAF was similar, albeit a little quieter, and Nissan said it was normal and it never gave any problem for the 8.5 years we had it.

If it is the same for everybody I'm not going to be too bothered about getting it fixed.

I just want the dealer to come back with a statement about it ... if they tell me (in writing, in the service report) that it is OK then that's fine; so if anything does go wrong I can refer them back to their report and so rectification any issues will not be at my cost. :)

My LEAF was similar, albeit a little quieter
Interesting, don't think it was common on leaf though as my one never did it.
Can't decide if its something physically rubbing inside the compressor on the MG or just a bad design where it's making the noise just compressing the refrigerant. Think it was quiet when I initially got the car if I recall correctly :unsure:

Interesting, don't think it was common on leaf though as my one never did it.
Can't decide if its something physically rubbing inside the compressor on the MG or just a bad design where it's making the noise just compressing the refrigerant. Think it was quiet when I initially got the car if I recall correctly :unsure:
Our 2015 leaf has heat pump and makes a fair bit of noise but it is always running faster than the mg4 one, that seems to slow right down at times making the pump sound….broken. The very first leafs didn’t have a heat pump so maybe that‘s why if yours was a Japanese built model.

The very first leafs didn’t have a heat pump so maybe that‘s why if yours was a Japanese built model.
2014 Sunderland built with heat pump . The 4's compressor does indeed cycle down to a really low speed, tends to be where the chirping gets most chirpy.
I'm just going to monitor it, I find visiting our local dealer tedious, never running on time.

I've just noticed that mine makes this noise as well. It's not that audible until you lift the bonnet, then it's very apparent. The problem I foresee is taking it to a dealer only to be told "Oh, they all do that sir".
Has anyone taken theirs to a dealer yet? What was the result? Not holding my breath here....

The dealer has a had a look today. The technician sent a video to MG. They’ve come back and suggested a regas.

Worth a shot but I’m not too sure it will make much difference.

It’ll be going in for the new breather at the same time so nothing ventured nothing gained and all that.
Hi. Did the regas fix the issue?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel