Aircon pump squeak / chirp.

Pump on my car has suddenly become noisy as hell after a mere 200 miles, squeak can be heard quite a distance from the car, anyone else had the same issue ?
If you put your hand on the pump when running there's a vibration in time with the chirp, not sure it's long for this world :unsure:
The oil leak has begun at the other end so I guess I'll be killing 2 birds with one stone when I give them a bell after Christmas:rolleyes:

My Trophy has make this chirp noise since day one and as i cant here it i side the car, it does not bother me in the slightest. 6 months in and the AC continues to work just fine and as long as this continues i have no issue.

just think of it as an extra sound so that pedestrians can here you coming up behi d then.. either that or they think a bird has flown in.

Cheers
Dam that auto correct... it should read hear not here.

Your upper-case button is dodgy and your n doesn't work either 🤣

I'd go back to bed if I were you.

The noise simply isn't 'normal' for a refrigerant compressor despite what the dealers say.
I've stopped letting it annoy me though as there's zero chance that SAIC will do anything about it. would likely mean changing the pump and a re-gas, so it will never happen.

I must admit, I didn't believe the "they all do it sir" explanation originally, but today I was at the dealers (ironically to get some warranty work done) and each and every MG4 there that had the AC running would make the same noise. I would describe it more as a "ping" or metallic jingling sound rather than a chirp though.
Interestingly, I have a neighbour, who had an electric mini owning visitor last weekend. Guess what? Their AC made an identical noise to the MG4. My oldest son's Hyundai and my middle son's Tesla are silent though.

I suspect that squeaking AC compressors are far more common than anyone may have thought ... just that the noise from ICE engines have masked it, and it's only the increase in numbers of EVs that have made this more noticeable.

That doesn't mean I agree that they should squeak - just that it's probably not a terminal issue.

I suspect that squeaking AC compressors are far more common than anyone may have thought ... just that the noise from ICE engines have masked it, and it's only the increase in numbers of EVs that have made this more noticeable.

That doesn't mean I agree that they should squeak - just that it's probably not a terminal issue.
Had mine fixed today under warranty mg new fix is different oil in compressor nice and quiet now

I can hear mine, but only when it's standing on the drive and I'm outside it. At first I thought it was something coming from the street or my neighbour's drive. I thought it was a normal part of the operation of the car and it hasn't worried me. Is it actually something to be concerned about if it isn't absolutely quiet?

My Trophy has make this chirp noise since day one and as i cant here it i side the car, it does not bother me in the slightest. 6 months in and the AC continues to work just fine and as long as this continues i have no issue.

just think of it as an extra sound so that pedestians can here you coming up behi d then.. either that or they think a bird has flown in.

Cheers
I can hear mine inside the car and after 4k miles on the trophy , it sounds even worse now.

Had mine fixed today under warranty mg new fix is different oil in compressor nice and quiet now
'Oil issues' do seem to be a reoccurring problem on the 4 then :oops: Did they explain what the supposed cause was, not enough or wrong viscosity ?
Not that I would believe much of what the average dealership would say to me.

AC compressors can be noisy, anyone have a fridge at home that makes a noise? I certainly do. They typically get noisier as they age but it doesn't necessarily compromise their function.

With EVs, this noise is much more easily heard as the car is so quiet.

Some cars are louder than others and so while it isn't true that they all do it, many will over time.

I'm not concerned about it unless it becomes loud which I would definitely consider a fault of some sort though might struggle to convince a dealer.

AC compressors can be noisy, anyone have a fridge at home that makes a noise? I certainly do. They typically get noisier as they age but it doesn't necessarily compromise their function.
I'm guessing your fridge didn't make a noise like a chaffinch straight out of the box though.
The compressor has moving parts, it's going to make a noise, but the noise from mine sounds like metal on metal.
The fact that a forum member reports that a recharge with different oil cured his one would suggest that there are components wearing prematurely in there due to an oil issue.

Oh well, at least the front of the car matches the back :rolleyes:

With EVs, this noise is much more easily heard as the car is so quiet.

Some cars are louder than others and so while it isn't true that they all do it, many will over time.

I'm not concerned about it unless it becomes loud which I would definitely consider a fault of some sort though might struggle to convince a dealer.
I’ve just had an MG5 as a courtesy and you couldn’t hear a thing from the AC. There’s deffo something wrong with these 4s

The noise from mine wasn’t bothering me, however I remotely activated the HVAC yesterday and when I reached the car the noise from it was really loud, and did not in any way sound normal. It almost sounded like something was grinding.

Is that to be expected on hotter days when the HVAC is working harder?

The noise from mine wasn’t bothering me, however I remotely activated the HVAC yesterday and when I reached the car the noise from it was really loud, and did not in any way sound normal. It almost sounded like something was grinding.

Is that to be expected on hotter days when the HVAC is working harder?
Yes - I noticed mine was hammering away at full speed today with the AC on full cooling.

Mines the same too
Thanks…seems they may all be the same then.

I wonder if the member who had theirs ‘fixed’ has this issue in the warmer days…if they don’t have this noise then perhaps we all need to get MG to change the oil / re-gas

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 485 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 83 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back