Aircon pump squeak / chirp.

Pump on my car has suddenly become noisy as hell after a mere 200 miles, squeak can be heard quite a distance from the car, anyone else had the same issue ?
If you put your hand on the pump when running there's a vibration in time with the chirp, not sure it's long for this world :unsure:
The oil leak has begun at the other end so I guess I'll be killing 2 birds with one stone when I give them a bell after Christmas:rolleyes:

Ok thanks. Good luck. 👍
Not hugely surprising…the aircon regas didn’t fix the chirping.

The car does now have a shiny new breather pipe on the gearbox though so hopefully no more oil leaks, and the software updates are all done related to the recall (maybe others too but I wasn’t given any details).

Interestingly, the iSmart app pinged me whilst they had the car to say that the power steering had a fault - just a side effect of the software update I expect, as there are no warnings in the car now.

Also asked them to debadge the back, which they did for me.

In conclusion, happy with the dealer and their attempts to fix stuff and not too worried about the chirping.

Last edited:
Not hugely surprising…the aircon regas didn’t fix the chirping.

The does now have a shiny new breather pipe on the gearbox so hopefully no more oil leaks, and the software updates are all done related to the recall (maybe others too but I wasn’t given any details).

Interestingly the iSmart app pinged me whilst they had the car to say that the power steering had a fault - just a side effect of the software update I expect as there are no warnings in the car now.

Also asked them to debadge the back which they did for me.

In conclusion, happy with the dealer and their attempts to fix stuff and not too worried about the chirping.
I take it the dealership weren’t going to pursue the air con chirping with MG seen as the regas never worked?

I must admit I debadged the back window as soon as I got home. You don’t get much to look out let alone a sticker plastered across it.

I wouldn't have called removing a windscreen sticker as "debadging" ... to me it more means removing the MG logo. (As it happens, on mine the 7 year warranty sticker is hidden by a rear headrest anyway, and I peeled off the dealer sticker myself (which was on the outside, so no risk to the heater elements)).

I wouldn't have called removing a windscreen sticker as "debadging" ... to me it more means removing the MG logo. (As it happens, on mine the 7 year warranty sticker is hidden by a rear headrest anyway, and I peeled off the dealer sticker myself (which was on the outside, so no risk to the heater elements)).
It was the mg4 electric badge they removed for me (saved me ruining the paint work by doing it wrong myself).

I’ve got the black badge overlays for the mg logo on order from aliexpress so I’ll have a black trophy with black front emblem, no rear badges, but as someone pointed out previously, the rear emblem appears to behind the Perspex rather than on top so that will have to wait I expect.

I take it the dealership weren’t going to pursue the air con chirping with MG seen as the regas never worked?

I must admit I debadged the back window as soon as I got home. You don’t get much to look out let alone a sticker plastered across it.
I’ll raise it again with the dealer at some point, but truth be told, I’ve had the car for a few weeks now and don’t really notice it too much. Having said that, they’ve at least taken the first step asked of them by mg under warranty, so there may be more scope for further exploration (by mg sanctioning the regas, it implies that they saw it as something needing fixing).

As someone pointed out previously, mg will likely say that the noise is within tolerance.

The dealer have been great though in their service department too (as well as sales).

Overall I’m loving the car, and despite recently having a Tesla m3 for a couple of days extended test drive, I much prefer the mg4.

So much so that I spoke to the dealer today about the “triumph” or performance model - it would be great if it reached our shores here in the uk this year and give the teslas a run for their money performance-wise.

Last edited:
My car is in for oil-leakage . I mentioned the aircon noise, including the videos.
I got this "I have been told by the MG Qualified Technician that the AC noise is normal for an EV " for what it is worth.

So it looks like so far no one's car has been fixed. Correct?

"I have been told by the MG Qualified Technician that the AC noise is normal for an EV
Utter bollox but totally expected. I had a feeling the 7 year warranty would be a constant fight to get anything done but this is in the first couple of months for most folk :mad:

It's a refrigerant compressor, electrically powered, now let me see, where else do we find these ? Ah yes, in every frigging house in the land. Does anyone's fridge make a chirping noise ? I know mine doesn't or it would be out the door !

Last edited:
Utter bollox but totally expected. I had a feeling the 7 year warranty would be a constant fight to get anything done but this is in the first couple of months for most folk :mad:

It's a refrigerant compressor, electrically powered, now let me see, where else do we find these ? Ah yes, in every frigging house in the land. Does anyone's fridge make a chirping noise ? I know mine doesn't or it would be out the door !
Mine chirps if I leave the door open 🤣🤣

Standard push-back ‘they all do that sir’

Has anyone had this fixed by their dealer?

siteguru, did they fix it for you? Thanks.

I asked my dealer to fix mine during the recall updates. He told me afterwards that there isn't a cure as they all make that noise, it's perfectly normal and just the air compressor. He maintains all a/c systems do it and the only reason you can hear it is because there is no engine noise to disguise it.
Now ask me if I believe him......

I asked my dealer to fix mine during the recall updates. He told me afterwards that there isn't a cure as they all make that noise, it's perfectly normal and just the air compressor. He maintains all a/c systems do it and the only reason you can hear it is because there is no engine noise to disguise it.
Now ask me if I believe him......
Mine doesn't do it

Mine doesn't chirp - But you can hear it if you stand to the front drivers side - However, If you pop the Bonnet - The HVAC System is at the center back - Unlike other manufactures who have the HVAC inside the car and behind/in/under the main Dash - I suspect that as its in an 'empty engine bay' area we are hearing more of what on other cars (manufacturers) has been dampened by the physical location of said unit..
Now yes lots of us have free standing fridge/freezers that have similar units - and if I stand to the side of my fridge - yeah I can hear it - but over the rest of the kitchen noise / Kids Dogs etc its lost ..

No - MG told the dealer that it was "normal". 🤦‍♂️

No it's not normal, my fridge/freezer doesn't make that noise and nor does my air to air heat pump, but my MG4, oh yes...

Mine makes a noise, runs at variable speeds but doesn’t sound abnormal to me, our leaf also makes a noise and has done for 8 years. When it’s cold the leaf really goes for it but that is normal as well. Are they rotary or some kind of linear pump that gives a different sound?

My MG4 is making a terrible chirp at the minute and really winding me up. Dealer phoned me to say that you can stop the noise if you lock the car and turn it off. After some funny conversations, he tried the other MG4s and they sound the same. He passed it off as normal and said there is no way to raise with MG UK.

Getting fed up with the MG software / quality issues now, starting to raise a case with leasing company to take car back.

My Trophy has make this chirp noise since day one and as i cant here it i side the car, it does not bother me in the slightest. 6 months in and the AC continues to work just fine and as long as this continues i have no issue.

just think of it as an extra sound so that pedestians can here you coming up behi d then.. either that or they think a bird has flown in.

Cheers

My Trophy has make this chirp noise since day one and as i cant here it i side the car, it does not bother me in the slightest. 6 months in and the AC continues to work just fine and as long as this continues i have no issue.

just think of it as an extra sound so that pedestians can here you coming up behi d then.. either that or they think a bird has flown in.

Cheers
Dam that auto correct... it should read hear not here.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 470 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 45 7.6%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back