Aircon pump squeak / chirp.

Pump on my car has suddenly become noisy as hell after a mere 200 miles, squeak can be heard quite a distance from the car, anyone else had the same issue ?
If you put your hand on the pump when running there's a vibration in time with the chirp, not sure it's long for this world :unsure:
The oil leak has begun at the other end so I guess I'll be killing 2 birds with one stone when I give them a bell after Christmas:rolleyes:

I have this feature. I noticed it a week or so after collecting the car in March. The response from the dealer was that “they all do it, it’s normal. It is much worse recently and I would really like to get it fixed.

Maybe it is a different compressor than the MG5 hence different characteristics. My old 5SR didn’t make this noise but when working hard it is nearly identical to our Nissan Leaf

I now have a recording of my AC chirping but I cannot load an MP4 file. Any ideas how we can share the noise?

My mg4 recently developed this noise from the AC too. More like a whirring rattle than just a chirp. Noticeably audible in the car (annoyingly so) and outside the car. Stopped when ac turned off or car powered down. Dealer tried at first to tell me it was normal fan noise but it definitely didn’t used to be that noisy. They have now agreed it is a fault and I need to book it in for a replacement part (not sure which bit they are changing 🤔).

Mines chirping, very noticeable outside and can also hear it inside. The pump is very heavily damped on rubber bushes to prevent vibration transfer into the chassis from the pump and then it goes and makes this racket.

It's not normal, my e208 that just been traded in didn't make this racket although there was a noticeable slight vibration when it was running and the car was stationery (it's a pump so that is to he expected).

I've been an aerospace mechanical engineer for 25 years - this isn't a normal noise for a pump to make. Just because they all do it doesn't mean they should and could well indicate a bad batch of pumps or a dodgy gas fill at the factory etc.

I have those noises too. When the aircon is flat out it sounds horrendous from outside the car

This is mine running flat out. It's more of a chirp at low speed:

Surely that shouldn't sound like that, I know everything is more noticeable now, without engine noise, but that doesn't sound right

Could someone clarify for me whether any sound at all is abnormal, or whether a certain level of sound is normal? The sound my aircon makes isn't alarming, more of a sort of warble, and if it hadn't been for these threads I'd never have had any idea there might be a problem with it.

Mine sounds like the video of the orange one. For me I think it sounds crap and much louder than in other cars so IMO doesn't sound right but given the hassle it appears to be to fix I am just going with it. If it breaks it should be covered under the warranty. (Interesting there is no mention on the service plan that it needs to be re-gassed every X years which is surprising given the 7 year warranty)

I think if mine sounded like the orange one I would be inclined to make an issue of it. I don't want to make a fool of myself complaining about a sound that's normal though.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 470 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 45 7.6%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back