Android auto not working well

Once I adjusted "voice" volume in settings to a place I was happy the guidance voice works fine. Can be enabled/disabled by touching the speaker symbol on the navigation scheme. Useful if listening to the radio as it doesnt lower the volume when giving directions. I have a Trohpy
Actually ignore that - I was talking about MG4 maps rather than AA with google maps or Ways. Sorry

As I have mentioned before, I could not get AA working with my android 10 Moto G7 power phone. And I tried quite a few new cables.
But my wife android 9 photo worked perfectly as does her new android 13. Phone.

I had quire a bit of trouble betting my OnePlus Nord 2 5G to connect with Android Auto. After a while I worked out that the problem seemed to be that this phone/car needs a very good connection at the phone end of things (I was using the cable supplied with the phone so the quality should be fine). The connection was good enough to charge the phone, but not good enough to allow data link - I had to really push the USB-C plug firmly into the phone - and I regularly make sure that the phone's socket is clear of pocket fluff. The issue appears to be that the USB-C port in my phone is getting a little worn now as it's over 18 months old. So to overcome the risk of dropping connections and to save undue wear on the phone's USB port, I have bought a CarLinKit 5 wireless unit - I chose this as I use Android and my wife is on iPhone - I haven't had any drop outs using this set up (so far). I can still charge the phone either using the USB-A pass-through socket on the CarLinKit, the USB-C socket in the car, or using a double USB socket adaptor I've got that plugs into the cigarette socket - which is my preference as it charges faster on that.

The first time I got AA working via the cable I did have the issue where I was getting no navigation messages, but this resolved when I switched from radio to playing music from the phone, the navigation instructions started fine after that and has been fine since - I think this is a bit of an Android Auto/Google Maps glitch - I sometimes also lose the turn by turn guidance messages when using Google Maps in the car with the CarLinKit unplugged and the phone connected to the car via bluetooth - it might be a bluetooth glitch.

Android Auto only seems to work for a short while, then next journey often screen comes up black or just back to home page. tried two leads and two phones, these worked fine in my leaf for over a year beforehand. Can only think it is the software in the MG4. even when I disconnect the phone sometimes the android auto button stays illuminated and you can click through to a black screen with no phone connected which is odd, pretty sure I am on the latest software as well 1100R13. disappointing. any suggestions except try another lead please!
If you really want to see AA for nav maybe, press the home button for about 30sec and it will re-boot the info screen, you may lose traffic speed though, until you restart. You can do this whilst driving if you need sat nav up.

The Android Auto system is crap. In the cars that I've had the version has always been years behind and in my ZS EV it's no different. In the last few cars it's always been an old outdated feeling system with a USB connection always required, at least initially. In fact my last car, a Suzuki, required a USB connection but only to initialise Android Auto. It worked reasonably well after that without needing a cable. The annoying thing is that Android Auto has it's favourites amongst mobile phone brands with Samsung being prominent. Such a shame all car manufacturers can't use a robust standard that will just connect and let us get on with using our communication devices as we would like to, totally hands free and cable free. I envy those that can afford to buy cars with new software systems that simply 'work' and do what you need. I've worked with technology at the cutting edge and Android Auto is not there. That reminds me... To continue looking for an alternative.
Yep I agree 100%.software in mg4 is absolute GRAP.soon be time mg got it sorted. Bluetooth pairing phone is rubbish so LKA.

Personally, I have found AA to be working perfectly via cable (Pixel 7 Pro). The initial issue of no sound for announcements was fixed in an MG software update. The Bluetooth pairing on the other hand....

If you really want to see AA for nav maybe, press the home button for about 30sec and it will re-boot the info screen, you may lose traffic speed though, until you restart. You can do this whilst driving if you need sat nav up.
I had this issue the other day and couldn't get away from the black screen despite restarting car etc. Hope this will sort it! Thanks

The thing that REALLY annoys me with the AA set up ( yes I have the niggly black screen thing but an infotainment boot up sorts that ) is the fact that the phone "window" floats over the home screen if you come out of AA, so you are unable to to alter any settings . i.e a/c or driving modes .
So for example if you're in sport mode you have to wait until your call ends until you can change the driving mode .
All of this is mentioned with the caveat that I may be an idiot and doing something stupid !!

The thing that REALLY annoys me with the AA set up ( yes I have the niggly black screen thing but an infotainment boot up sorts that ) is the fact that the phone "window" floats over the home screen if you come out of AA, so you are unable to to alter any settings . i.e a/c or driving modes .
So for example if you're in sport mode you have to wait until your call ends until you can change the driving mode .
All of this is mentioned with the caveat that I may be an idiot and doing something stupid !!
This is preferable to the alternative, which is if you return to the home screen you can't hang up without going back to AA...

Although, I don't recall the floating window prevented me from changing settings, although maybe I haven't tried.

This is preferable to the alternative, which is if you return to the home screen you can't hang up without going back to AA...

Although, I don't recall the floating window prevented me from changing settings, although maybe I haven't tried.
That's true
It's not all the settings that are affected . just the ones that are covered up .

Personally, I have found AA to be working perfectly via cable (Pixel 7 Pro). The initial issue of no sound for announcements was fixed in an MG software update. The Bluetooth pairing on the other hand....

I think AA is very dependent on the phone and the cable. My Fold 4 was getting repaired and I bought the cheapest phone I could find to tide me over. It was a £99 Moto G22. My wifes A Class worked fine with the Fold but with the Moto it would take 6 or 7 goes to connect via the cable and only if I plugged it in a certain way then it was very laggy and often 4 or 5 seconds slower than touch presses. The Fold is instant and always connects but they are very different classes of phones.

I'm going to be looking at the Morotorla dongle for hands free AA though although I'm not sure how the microphone works, I heard that it uses the phone one which makes it useless if the phone is in your pocket.

We had an issue with Android Auto repeatedly disconnecting on my wife's phone. After coming across a suggestion on another forum I tried connecting the phone to the USB port on the car via an old USB hub, and we've had no problems since - both our phones now stay connected.

My AA in MG4 worked perfectly for a few months, then stopped connecting for no clear reason. AA was greyed out on infotainment screen despite phone showing it was available. Infotainment reset didn't work.

Eventually used force stop on AA app on my phone, then tried connecting. Works fine again now (for now). Might be of use to someone else hopefully

I've had the black screen a couple of times but it's much better with the wireless box than wired and the only complaint I have is the dark mode doesn't always come on bit a flick of the lights on and off it's in dark mode. And I use the cheap wireless box from eBay

Not sure the price/kWh will ever come down, while they have infrastructure to pay for, prices appear to be fixed across all providers, and we continue to use them

My AA in MG4 worked perfectly for a few months, then stopped connecting for no clear reason. AA was greyed out on infotainment screen despite phone showing it was available. Infotainment reset didn't work.

Eventually used force stop on AA app on my phone, then tried connecting. Works fine again now (for now). Might be of use to someone else hopefully
Had that this very morning. Thanks for the tip.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back