annoying stuff

nexia201

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
so as per title the most annoying thing on the car is the start up and gear engage , you get in car , it start up , press brake ,turn knob nothing happen , turn knob again goes into neutral turn it 3rd time works fine , another is the lane assist which have to be cancelled every time you get out of the car as i use it as taxi

so as per title the most annoying thing on the car is the start up and gear engage , you get in car , it start up , press brake ,turn knob nothing happen , turn knob again goes into neutral turn it 3rd time works fine , another is the lane assist which have to be cancelled every time you get out of the car as i use it as taxi
Hi,

Some users have found you need to give it 20 seconds or so to boot up fully before trying to drive off. I just jump in and go in my Trophy so not sure, maybe speak to your dealer for a software update?

Re: LKA, it only activates when you hit 38mph - so if the majority part of your journeys are under that speed, being a taxi, you shouldn't need to switch it off every time. And even if you're driving above 38, it shouldn't do anything drastic apart from gently nudge you back into your lane if you cross the lines, beep and vibrate the steering wheel. Indicate when changing lanes and it shouldn't happen anyway.

If it does anything other than that, then I'd suggest speak to your dealer and ask for the most recent updates, as many users report LKA being better now than it was last year for example, after updates.

If it's your first car with LKA, it will take time to adjust to the car moving the steering wheel anyway, so bear that it mind too.

Good luck with it and hopefully you get some solution 👍

Hi,

Some users have found you need to give it 20 seconds or so to boot up fully before trying to drive off. I just jump in and go in my Trophy so not sure, maybe speak to your dealer for a software update?

Re: LKA, it only activates when you hit 38mph - so if the majority part of your journeys are under that speed, being a taxi, you shouldn't need to switch it off every time. And even if you're driving above 38, it shouldn't do anything drastic apart from gently nudge you back into your lane if you cross the lines, beep and vibrate the steering wheel. Indicate when changing lanes and it shouldn't happen anyway.

If it does anything other than that, then I'd suggest speak to your dealer and ask for the most recent updates, as many users report LKA being better now than it was last year for example, after updates.

If it's your first car with LKA, it will take time to adjust to the car moving the steering wheel anyway, so bear that it mind too.

yes lka is annoying more so when in my country lines are all over the place not just the middle and side of the road . start up sometimes i jump in and drive off and sometimes it takes many times turning the knob to the drive .

The only time I have an issue with the gears similar to what you're describing is if I don't have the seatbelt on.

Hi,

Totally agree with you about LKA.
You can set it to Low intensity and it stays there. Or at least mine does.
It has activated a few times and on each occasion it was my poor driving or a slight loss of concentration.

It depends on where you're driving. I think it probably works well on modern roads with clear lane markings, if you're prepared to signal any time you intend to change lanes, whether there's anyone there to see it or not.

It falls down on winding country roads, single-track roads and roads with no lane markings. It can be downright dangerous in these situations, and the handbook admits it.

It depends on where you're driving. I think it probably works well on modern roads with clear lane markings, if you're prepared to signal any time you intend to change lanes, whether there's anyone there to see it or not.

It falls down on winding country roads, single-track roads and roads with no lane markings. It can be downright dangerous in these situations, and the handbook admits it.
exactly that is the sitiuation here , poor or no or even wrong road markings and it try to pull you off the road .

The only time I have an issue with the gears similar to what you're describing is if I don't have the seatbelt on.
The most frustrating thing for me is when putting mg4 Trophy in reverse, the camera doesn’t work every time

exactly that is the sitiuation here , poor or no or even wrong road markings and it try to pull you off the road .

The manual itself tells you to turn it off in that situation.

The lane assist system does not always recognise the lane lines. Sometimes poor road surfaces, certain road structures or objects may be mistaken for lane lines. When such situations occur, the lane assist system must be immediately turned off.

It would be nice if they made it easier to do IMMEDIATELY, like a shortcut button.

The most frustrating thing for me is when putting mg4 Trophy in reverse, the camera doesn’t work every time

The reversing sensors in the SE are fantastic, I'm really impressed with them. I find a camera view difficult to interpret and confusing, but the sensors with their green-amber-red warnings are ideal.

Because I'm never in the position of having to do a racing start ( 🙄 ) I just let the car waken up fully, and then press the brake pedal and select gear. Works every time for me.
And me it says in the manual you should wait for the car to boot up with your foot on the. Before moving off. Not doing this has been known to cause problems.

The manual itself tells you to turn it off in that situation.

It would be nice if they made it easier to do IMMEDIATELY, like a shortcut button.
exactly not have to go in the menu every time , my girlfriends hyundai bayon has a steering button to disable it

Sometimes it's slow to boot up for no readily apparent reason and that's when the "autohold fault" thing seems to appear.

I've been used to leaping into my Golf and driving off as soon as I've got the seat belt fastned. You have to be a bit more patient with the MG4. Let it boot up before pressing the brake, then disable LKA, and you're good to go. I haven't timed it, but it's seconds.

I know what you mean I am the same with my current car. Start up, buckle up and go.

I will have to try and remember what things to do when I change. Like what driving mode to set and what things to turn off.

This morning it was so quick to boot up I couldn't really time it. But.

I drove the car out of the garage and wanted to use autohold to keep the car there while I got out and closed the garage door. No autohold. Not only did the car continue to creep after I'd given the brake pedal that extra press, but I couldn't see the autohold icon on the screen at all. I had to engage the parking brake manually, although I used the lever on the right, not the P function on the dial.

I had made the mistake of cancelling the LKA when I first started the car in the garage, thinking that would do it. Not a bit of it. As soon as I got back into the car and pressed the brake, bloody LKA came back on, so I had to cancel it all over again.

So even though the car booted up really quickly, it wasn't a terribly quick start. It doesn't seem to have an easy way to let you pop out of the car for a minute or two without everything going back to square one. Where the hell the autohold function was when I needed it I have no idea at all. It was certainly there and functioning later in the drive because I used it a couple of times.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 506 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back