annoying stuff

This morning it was so quick to boot up I couldn't really time it. But.

I drove the car out of the garage and wanted to use autohold to keep the car there while I got out and closed the garage door. No autohold. Not only did the car continue to creep after I'd given the brake pedal that extra press, but I couldn't see the autohold icon on the screen at all. I had to engage the parking brake manually, although I used the lever on the right, not the P function on the dial.

I had made the mistake of cancelling the LKA when I first started the car in the garage, thinking that would do it. Not a bit of it. As soon as I got back into the car and pressed the brake, bloody LKA came back on, so I had to cancel it all over again.

So even though the car booted up really quickly, it wasn't a terribly quick start. It doesn't seem to have an easy way to let you pop out of the car for a minute or two without everything going back to square one. Where the hell the autohold function was when I needed it I have no idea at all. It was certainly there and functioning later in the drive because I used it a couple of times.
I think all things resets to default every time you take bum of the seat senor, I think taking car out of garage, close door then do pre-drive check list might be the way to go 🤷‍♂️

Yes, I can see that's the way to handle it. But I have a feeling that if the car is only held by the auto-hold, it might keep its settings. I'll look for a chance to try it. I have no idea what happened to the auto-hold this morning.

I drove the car out of the garage and wanted to use autohold to keep the car there while I got out and closed the garage door. No autohold. Not only did the car continue to creep after I'd given the brake pedal that extra press, but I couldn't see the autohold icon on the screen at all. I had to engage the parking brake manually, although I used the lever on the right, not the P function on the dial.

I had made the mistake of cancelling the LKA when I first started the car in the garage, thinking that would do it. Not a bit of it. As soon as I got back into the car and pressed the brake, bloody LKA came back on, so I had to cancel it all over again.

So even though the car booted up really quickly, it wasn't a terribly quick start. It doesn't seem to have an easy way to let you pop out of the car for a minute or two without everything going back to square one. Where the hell the autohold function was when I needed it I have no idea at all. It was certainly there and functioning later in the drive because I used it a couple of times.
I wouldn't use the autohold if I was getting out of the car because if you caught the accelerator as you got out or back in it could release before you were in control. Put the handbrake on instead.

Yes, the driver assist settings are reset when leaving READY mode, i. e. when climbing out of the seat. Everything you want to change has to be done again.

And me it says in the manual you should wait for the car to boot up with your foot on the. Before moving off. Not doing this has been known to cause problems.
To be completely honest, I jump in, press the brake pedal, turn the switch to "D" and off I go. Works every time, takes less then five seconds. The car continues to complete its boot sequence and animations on the screens and after a while I change the LKA settings when I'm already on the move.

Last edited:

Not sure it's a good idea getting out of the car without putting in park mode ?

To be fair, there's no way I'd rely on auto-hold if I was going to be getting out of the car, even for just a few seconds - not a chance. (I'd not do that in ANY car, not just the MG4).

Lifting off the driver seat then sitting back down resets things to default - the car assumes that it's a new driving session. (It doesn't use a delay timer as far as I know).

To be fair, there's no way I'd rely on auto-hold if I was going to be getting out of the car, even for just a few seconds - not a chance. (I'd not do that in ANY car, not just the MG4).

Lifting off the driver seat then sitting back down resets things to default - the car assumes that it's a new driving session. (It doesn't use a delay timer as far as I know).
I’ve only noticed it once, but I’d been sat at a junction for a good while with Autohold engaged and I noticed the car putting on the parking brake automatically. Have you ever seen this happen?

I find the touch screen to be so sensitive that it is difficult to use it while concentrating on the road ahead.
You're right. We have quite a long driveway before the public road begins, so mostly I have managed to switch the LKA off before I join it. Besides, I think that holding on to the frame with your thumb, little or ring finger helps when moving the index finger on the screen.

I'll take all that on board, thanks to all of you. Mainly, I'm cured of trying to do the pre-flight routine while the car is still in the garage - I'll wait till I'm ready to drive off. (Of course I could have shelled out the £360 they wanted to make the garage doors remote controlled, but I couldn't see the point at the time - still can't, for winter, as I switch on the lights at the same time as I open the door, and switch them off when closing the door.)

To be completely honest, I jump in, press the brake pedal, turn the switch to "D" and off I go. Works every time, takes less then five seconds. The car continues to complete its boot sequence and animations on the screens and after a while I change the LKA settings when I'm already on the move.

If I do what you say, there's a sporting chance I'll get that "auto-hold fault" message. (I also prefer to do the fiddling with the touch-screen when the car isn't moving.)

Firstly, as mentioned, I would not rely on autohold when getting out of the car, at the very least put the handbrake on although I'd just put it back in park.

But, saying that, I found out the other day that autohold doesn't work/enable if you don't have your seatbelt on... Confused me for a bit as I was just moving the car around a bit, even went into the settings to try and re-enable it but it wouldn't enable, clipped the seat belt in and the icon appeared again and worked as expected.

My first car (early 70’s) was a Mini 850. Blue - not the same shade as my Trophy, though. The long gear change to stir the gears and a plunger to press for screen wash 😂. Registration 8408 MW. It was a hand-me-down from my brother who had previously had a red mini with a starter button on the floor.

My first car (early 70’s) was a Mini 850. Blue - not the same shade as my Trophy, though. The long gear change to stir the gears and a plunger to press for screen wash 😂. Registration 8408 MW. It was a hand-me-down from my brother who had previously had a red mini with a starter button on the floor.
So did I. In orange peel black.

It started life as a 1965 mini cooper but by the time i bought it for £100 in 1976 it had a hard life. The engine had been replaced with an 850 that struggled with the original gearbox.

I eventually solved the issues with it by crashing into a tree and spending 9 days in hospital and 3 months of work. I Dont recommend it.

Sometimes it's slow to boot up for no readily apparent reason and that's when the "autohold fault" thing seems to appear.

I've been used to leaping into my Golf and driving off as soon as I've got the seat belt fastned. You have to be a bit more patient with the MG4. Let it boot up before pressing the brake, then disable LKA, and you're good to go. I haven't timed it, but it's seconds.
Had this yesterday. It’s definitely related to the car start up.

I recall putting my foot on the brake very early, before the larger screen had even woken up when this happened. Wonder if it didn’t like that?

Watched it boot up, took my foot back off and it was all good again so will keep an eye out.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 505 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back