Any better overnight tariffs?

Only problem at the moment is that we expected prices to fall again in October which will make them cheaper that all these tarrifs. They all have exit fees as well.
EON doesn’t have an exit fee

I have to say that EON have been amazing. Their customer support and the whole change from Scottish Power made me wish I’d moved years ago. You can speak to a real person and they take ownership when you ask for something. Something sadly missing at SP. The 9.5p overnight tariff for 7 hours is all I need to fully charge my MG4 and home batteries when needed.

Just like an elastic tape measure, theyre pretty much meaningless, as proved with figures I showed. The only way to do an accurate comparison is with your annual figures, if your usage is heavily weighted to the off peak (mine are) the price difference in the off peak becomes significant. If your split is 60 /40 then the peak price will be significant.

I agree, it depends entirely on your energy split.

Baseline figure for what? how would it be of any use? I'm probably not explaining myself very well and I apologise if I'm offending you, I dont mean to. I do feel people will see your idea of 1kW and hour in each peak and off peak and look at the price but they may be mislead into not the best tariff because of their usage pattern

I'll shut up now, people wont want to listen to me on my soapbox.

J
Your right John,
Let’s all show some grace. Gadget Geek like everyone here is just trying to help, and make life a little easier! 😀

Your right John,
Let’s all show some grace. Gadget Geek like everyone here is just trying to help, and make life a little easier! 😀
So am I, but there's little point in using inaccurate data / technique to assess how good a tariff is. It's not rocket science to do it accurately with your historic data.

So am I, but there's little point in using inaccurate data / technique to assess how good a tariff is. It's not rocket science to do it accurately with your historic data.
That’s why I attached the EVM spreadsheet above! Have a great rest of weekend. 😀

Unfortunately, the historic data is only accurate if you are swapping like for like. If your previous data is from a tariff with 7 hours off peak and you change to a tariff with 4 hours off peak, you have 3 hours of off peak data which now has to be accounted for in the peak hours which will skew the results (I've actually done the maths to prove it). :)

Unfortunately, the historic data is only accurate if you are swapping like for like. If your previous data is from a tariff with 7 hours off peak and you change to a tariff with 4 hours off peak, you have 3 hours of off peak data which now has to be accounted for in the peak hours which will skew the results (I've actually done the maths to prove it). :)
I've just has a light bulb moment and I think I now understand what you're getting at but as expected I have a slightly different view. You raise a very good point that if the off peak hours change then so do some of the peak hours. Thats significant not by averaging your off peak usage but by taking into account your property base load, a load that is present 24/7. You cant just average out the car charging time in a 6 hour slot and then apply 2 hours of the average in a peal part of a tariff because it only has 4 hrs of off peak, the car may be charged in 2 hrs!
To this end I have made a spreadsheet that has a base load parameter, entries for your peak and off peak annual usage and numerous rows for energy company tariff data including standing charge.

tariff Compare.PNG

Dbedford, I must admit to being surprised at British Gas how well it compares to Octopus GO. I use intelligent myself which blows them out of the water but thats another story.

Feel free to use / share / destroy the spreadsheet as you wish

J

Attachments

• Tariff Compare.xlsx
    12.6 KB · Views: 83
I've just has a light bulb moment and I think I now understand what you're getting at but as expected I have a slightly different view. You raise a very good point that if the off peak hours change then so do some of the peak hours. Thats significant not by averaging your off peak usage but by taking into account your property base load, a load that is present 24/7. You cant just average out the car charging time in a 6 hour slot and then apply 2 hours of the average in a peal part of a tariff because it only has 4 hrs of off peak, the car may be charged in 2 hrs!
To this end I have made a spreadsheet that has a base load parameter, entries for your peak and off peak annual usage and numerous rows for energy company tariff data including standing charge.

View attachment 19573
Dbedford, I must admit to being surprised at British Gas how well it compares to Octopus GO. I use intelligent myself which blows them out of the water but thats another story.

Feel free to use / share / destroy the spreadsheet as you wish

J
Nice for us finally to be on the same page .:)
I was also surprised that British Gas is so competative.

EDF are driving me crackers, smart meters but you can’t see the readings unless you take your own readings, they only tell you where you are bill wise twice a year, 8p overnight tariff is good, but I would like to feel a bit more in control, might have to look at Eon.
I had the same problem with EDF, I was with them until last week when I switched to Eon and their EV tariff. Even though I had a smart meter the always estimated my readings saying that they could not communicate with the meter. With Eon for one day and they messaged to say that they could not communicate with the smart meters. They supplied a set of simple instructions on how to get the smart meters to register with them. It took me less than 5 minutes and all sorted! Why can't EDF do that? I went with Eon just because I already have my solar panels account with them so I just had to ask for a dual fuel supply with an EV tariff. Possibly not as good as others but tariffs seem to vary depending upon where you live. Here on the south coast Eon is 9.5p from midnight to 7 am and 33.18p the rest of the time, fixed for one year. Daily rate is 49.6 all prices are including VAT. The gas price is 7.29p kwh and 29.11p daily rate. This may be different in other areas, I'm not sure how it all works but everyone asks for postcode before telling you the price.

If you take into account the 7 hours off peak for eon and 5 hours for BG, over a year, eon works out £200 cheaper for the same consumption.
Depends on whether you actually need to charge for the extra hours each night. If less hours is sufficient for each charge then all is well.

Had a look around and Octopus IO still works out the best for me.

7.5p/kw 2330-0530
29.9p/kw 0530-2330

Standing charge doesn't come into it as it's consistently high for all of them

Depends on whether you actually need to charge for the extra hours each night. If less hours is sufficient for each charge then all is well.
I did say for the same consumption. :) Obviously you'd adjust the usage to fit the number of hours.

Had a look around and Octopus IO still works out the best for me.

7.5p/kw 2330-0530
29.9p/kw 0530-2330

Standing charge doesn't come into it as it's consistently high for all of them
I’ll be changing to these guys next week. I’ve enjoyed charge any time for 10p with Ovo but it took an eternity to get them to charge me correctly from the beginning and now I think over all, now we are through the holiday period IO will work out cheaper.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom