Any better overnight tariffs?

As you say a complete mess. In the news recently British Gas’s Hive is switching off its customers’ security cameras after discontinuing a number of “smart home” devices.
Hi Ian,
Do you have the URL link to this news please?

Hello all,

I wanted to come back to everyone on this thread and share an update with you and some recent tariff news that might be of interest. EON, has just launched a new EV tariff which seems very competitive.

Their new tariff (EON Next Drive) offers an overnight electricity rate of 9.5p per kWh from 12 midnight to 7am, a full seven hours. This is in comparison to Octopus Go's similar 9.5p rate but over a shorter four-hour window. The daytime rate is 32.37p per kWh with EON.

EON also assures that their electricity is 100% renewable, which is great for those of us concerned about our environmental footprint.

If you're considering new energy suppliers or exploring options to cost-effectively charge your MG EV, you might want to give this a look.

I've just changed to them today, as the MyEnergi installation (libbi and zappi) has just been completed a few months behind schedule due to the delayed launch of the libbi. (I'll share another post on this later).

Hope this information is helpful!
Thanks Neil I looked into this tariff and compared it to what British Gas and Octopus were offering. For a fixed tariff I was tempted to switch to British Gas but as others have mentioned i've heard horror stories - in the end I decided to go with Intelligent Octopus...

I just got my MG4 Trophy on Tuesday 8th Aug so EV tariffs and BEVs are all new to me... I made a video if anyone else is still unsure hopefully my experience will be helpful

Last edited:
Thanks for the EON tariff update which is a couple of pence more expenses peak than Octopus Go and British Gas. While the longer periods of off-peak hours looks inviting, I don’t know how I would make use of it. Staying with BG as we have a charger installed so can’t switch to IO.

While the longer periods of off-peak hours looks inviting, I don’t know how I would make use of it
I did the calculation by averaging it over 7 days.

Number of hours off peak x 7 x pence/kWh
Number of hours peak x 7 x pence/kWh
Add the two results together to get the overall weekly cost.

Do this for each supplier you are considering and see which gives you the lowest cost.

With the EDF ECO 20:20 tariff, I had to multiply peak by 5 and off peak by 7 because they give you Saturday and Sunday at off peak. For my circumstances, nothing could touch it.

You have to work out which tariff works for you. I'm usually up before 6 so an off peak tariff which is still active at that time lets me use the electric shower, put a wash on and remove the freshly cooked bread at 6:30 all at the cheap rate..

I did the calculation by averaging it over 7 days.

Number of hours off peak x 7 x pence/kWh
Number of hours peak x 7 x pence/kWh
Add the two results together to get the overall weekly cost.

Do this for each supplier you are considering and see which gives you the lowest cost.

With the EDF ECO 20:20 tariff, I had to multiply peak by 5 and off peak by 7 because they give you Saturday and Sunday at off peak. For my circumstances, nothing could touch it.
What is the peak rate tariff please?

Ah, I see what you mean now. It's me being thick :)

The peak for this tariff is 43 pence/kWh. However, for me, I have 4kW of solar and a 12kWh battery, so I've never used peak electricity.

This is my example of the calculation;

EDF
43.55 pence x 14 hours a day x 5 days = £30.48
12.36 pence x 10 hours a day x 5 days = £6.18
12.36 pence x 24 hours a day x 2 days = £5.93 (weekend)

Octopus Go
30.25 pence 20 hours a day x 7 days = £42.35
9.5 pence x 4 hours a day x 7 days = £2.66

Without any solar or batteries, for 168kWh, EDF costs £42.59
Octopus Go costs £45.01.

Thank you. Clearly a benefit if you have solar and batteries.

British Gas (a dirty word here, I know)

30.302p x 19 hours a day x 7 days = £40.30
9.4 pence x 5 hours a day x 7 days = £3.29

So very slightly cheaper than Octopus Go and British Gas are currently giving cash back with their charger installed. My cash back for August below.

Attachments

• IMG_2105.jpeg
    IMG_2105.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 51
Thank you. Clearly a benefit if you have solar and batteries.

British Gas (a dirty word here, I know)

30.302p x 19 hours a day x 7 days = £40.30
9.4 pence x 5 hours a day x 7 days = £3.29

So very slightly cheaper than Octopus Go and British Gas are currently giving cash back with their charger installed. My cash back for August below.
No problem. Once you've got that final figure you can make sense of all the other tariffs with their varying times of use. :)
Also, that cashback is a nice bonus.

Only problem at the moment is that we expected prices to fall again in October which will make them cheaper that all these tarrifs. They all have exit fees as well.

Ah, I see what you mean now. It's me being thick :)

The peak for this tariff is 43 pence/kWh. However, for me, I have 4kW of solar and a 12kWh battery, so I've never used peak electricity.

This is my example of the calculation;

EDF
43.55 pence x 14 hours a day x 5 days = £30.48
12.36 pence x 10 hours a day x 5 days = £6.18
12.36 pence x 24 hours a day x 2 days = £5.93 (weekend)

Octopus Go
30.25 pence 20 hours a day x 7 days = £42.35
9.5 pence x 4 hours a day x 7 days = £2.66

Without any solar or batteries, for 168kWh, EDF costs £42.59
Octopus Go costs £45.01.
Thats not good way to compare tariffs, it depends on the use in each time period, your comparison uses just 24 kWh per day (1kWh per hour). If for example you use 40 kWh off peak and 10 KWh during the peak the outcome is very different.

EDF
43.55 pence x 10 kWh a day x 5 days = £21.75
12.36 pence x 40 kWh a day x 5 days = £24.72
12.36 pence x 50 kWh a day x 2 days = £12.36 (weekend)
Total £58.83

Octopus Go
30.25 pence 10 kWh a day x 7 days = £21.75
9.5 pence x 40 kWh a day x 7 days = £26.60
Total £ 48.35

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom