Any better overnight tariffs?

Hello all,

I wanted to come back to everyone on this thread and share an update with you and some recent tariff news that might be of interest. EON, has just launched a new EV tariff which seems very competitive.

Their new tariff (EON Next Drive) offers an overnight electricity rate of 9.5p per kWh from 12 midnight to 7am, a full seven hours. This is in comparison to Octopus Go's similar 9.5p rate but over a shorter four-hour window. The daytime rate is 32.37p per kWh with EON.

EON also assures that their electricity is 100% renewable, which is great for those of us concerned about our environmental footprint.

If you're considering new energy suppliers or exploring options to cost-effectively charge your MG EV, you might want to give this a look.

I've just changed to them today, as the MyEnergi installation (libbi and zappi) has just been completed a few months behind schedule due to the delayed launch of the libbi. (I'll share another post on this later).

Hope this information is helpful!
May I ask why my post was edited?

Did your original post have a referral offer in it?

May I ask why my post was edited?
A notification of the reason will have been sent to you when the post was edited. A section was removed because it did not comply with forum rules about referral codes. You will find the rules here:

A notification of the reason will have been sent to you when the post was edited. A section was removed because it did not comply with forum rules about referral codes. You will find the rules here:
Very sorry, I didn't realise that sharing referral links was a problem. Especially where the members of the forum receive a benefit.

The only reason that I posted it was to share the £50 for anyone on the forum that might want to switch to the new EON tariff.

I did notice other posters on the forum who have posted such codes and links in their signatures and therefore assumed it was OK?

Appreciate the clarification :)

British Gas EV tarrif fixed till the end of Sept 2024 (no exit fee) is now

Electricity :

Off peak 9.4p pkwh (12 to 5am)
Peak 30.732p pkwh
Standing charge 39.27p per day

Gas :

All times 7.399p pkwh
Standing charge 26.367p per day

Smart meter required but no specific chargepoint required.

Just charged to this tariff from BG standard EV tariff of 38.484pKwh.

Thank you for bringing it to the attention of the forum. But why did BG not tells is customers of the cheaper rates as it has promised!!!

Just charged to this tariff from BG standard EV tariff of 38.484pKwh.

Thank you for bringing it to the attention of the forum. But why did BG not tells is customers of the cheaper rates as it has promised!!!
I agree. I just found it by chance when looking for new tarrifs across various providers as my previous fix had ended at 31 July.

The intelligent Octopus is good if you have a compatible wall box.

7.5p / kWh 2330-0530 (or whenever they decide to charge your car)
30pish / kWh other times.

Gas 7.44p / kWh

Plus some fairly chunky discounts on some public charging via Electroverse - 8% in many cases (and I pay for public charging via home energy account which is convenient)

The intelligent Octopus is good if you have a compatible wall box.

7.5p / kWh 2330-0530 (or whenever they decide to charge your car)
30pish / kWh other times.

Gas 7.44p / kWh

Plus some fairly chunky discounts on some public charging via Electroverse - 8% in many cases (and I pay for public charging via home energy account which is convenient)
Apply for the gas tracker as it's currently 4.19p

Electricity :

Peak 30.732p pkwh

Gas :

All times 7.399p pkwh

I suspect that might vary by region ... for my address, Octopus Go (for example) is about 60p, and EDF variable tariff is about 61p.

Daily charge I think is dependent on the cost of service delivery by region.

Wrong car, wrong charger, and gas is not a cost issue!
Gas not really an issue in summer for me but fear the tracker price may be somewhat higher come winter when it would be an issue.

Gas not really an issue in summer for me but fear the tracker price may be somewhat higher come winter when it would be an issue.
This year is my first year on Octopus Gas tracker pricing. I have the pricing entered into Home Assistant and it decides whether to run heatpumps or gas for the heating taking into account battery charge status, weather forecast the next day, outside air temp and the COP at the current outside air temp of the heatpumps. I accept this is a very 'techy' solution for gaining cost efficiency but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before these are available off the shelf to make the best use of our energy supplies.

Electricity :

Peak 30.732p pkwh

Gas :

All times 7.399p pkwh

That's a great deal and the electric standing charge is about £40p.a. cheaper that EON. (about 50.31p per day). That's enough to buy about 420kWh of overnight electricity!

Electricity :

Peak 30.732p pkwh

Gas :

All times 7.399p pkwh

If all meters (v2) are equal, why do they have this on the site.

'You’ll need a British Gas electricity smart meter. If you don’t have an electricity smart meter - or if you have one fitted by another provider - we’ll upgrade you to one of our smart meters, at no extra cost.'

Has anyone swapped and kept their smart meter.

If all meters (v2) are equal, why do they have this on the site.

'You’ll need a British Gas electricity smart meter. If you don’t have an electricity smart meter - or if you have one fitted by another provider - we’ll upgrade you to one of our smart meters, at no extra cost.'

Has anyone swapped and kept their smart meter.

British gas insisted that my gen 2 Octopus smart meters, which had worked fine on the BG tariff for the previous 2 years be changed for theirs when I moved to BG EV tariff. I asked them to change out the gas smart meter as well.

Note: BG don't own the smart meters but lease them . Engineer who installed the electric smart meter did question why he was doing it, as he was changing like for like, but I told him BG EV Team insisted!

I wouldn't mind had the Hive scheduling software on the iOS Hive app worked, but it does not, and having emailed and phoned the Hive 'EV team' numerous times no one seems to have any idea that there was a problem (since confirmed), and then when it would be fixed.

A complete mess!!!

I wouldn't mind had the Hive scheduling software on the iOS Hive app worked, but it does not, and having emailed and phoned the Hive 'EV team' numerous times no one seems to have any idea that there was a problem (since confirmed), and then when it would be fixed.

A complete mess!!!
BG are a bunch of clowns, get your money back, not fir for purpose and get Octopus to install an Ohme charger, go on their 7.5p tariff.

If only life was that simple John.

I have an EV I need to charge which I can perfectly well using the ZS scheduling.

Changing to Octopus with all that that faffing about, and I may not get a full refund (if I read their T&C’s I would lay odds/on that being supplied with rubbish software would be part of the agreement!! But charging just because the charging scheduling software doesn’t work for a saving less than £100 a year!

I’m far from being wealthy (if I was I won’t be driving a MG EV) , but nope that’s not for me, then what would I have to complain about? 😀👍

Last edited:
wouldn't mind had the Hive scheduling software on the iOS Hive app worked, but it does not, and having emailed and phoned the Hive 'EV team' numerous times no one seems to have any idea that there was a problem (since confirmed), and then when it would be fixed.
As you say a complete mess. In the news recently British Gas’s Hive is switching off its customers’ security cameras after discontinuing a number of “smart home” devices.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom