• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Anyone else find car wash misses rear of HS

D

Deleted member 3150

I’ve only got one auto car wash close by so wandered if anyone else finds the rollers don’t reach deeper recesses on the rear of the HS? I end up having to clean out the crease under the spoiler and top quarter of back window. Also under bumper and number plate area.
I know, first world issue…….

I gave up on those car wash machines after I found they scratched the windows. Shame as they are a nice cheap way to keep the car clean.

If you care about your paintwork you wouldn't go anywhere near one of these machines.

Amateur detailer here.

I have noticed the keeping the backside of the EHS clean is very troublesome....
2 days and it's already dirty.

Just give it a thick wax coat after washing it. And rinse the car off by hand at the carwash. Don't use the big ol' scratching machines!

always wash the car by hand, sometimes if its really dirty I will use the local jet wash .. carefully..
can't agree more on plenty of wax.

Ditto on the wax.
I use this stuff:

486S.JPG

That's what I'm saying.....if it's a detergent proof wax.....how do u strip the wax if you want to clay the car ?

I don't think you read my comment correctly.... 🙂

A clay bar is a useful thing. Leaves your paint smooth AF, BUT like all things...it should only be used when needed. I only clay my car once/1-2 years, or if really necessary, I know that a clay bar is and will always be an abrasive.

One rule is always, if the piece of clay touches the floor or clothing. Throw it away!

I’m also finding the paint is based on soft cheese and scratches are appearing. And before MG stoics say dont use car washes, or it would happen to any car, I’ve always used this car wash and previous cars have not marked up. Similarly you only need to brush a Devon lane hedge and new scars apear.

I’m also finding the paint is based on soft cheese and scratches are appearing. And before MG stoics say dont use car washes, or it would happen to any car, I’ve always used this car wash and previous cars have not marked up. Similarly you only need to brush a Devon lane hedge and new scars apear.
I do agree that the paint does appear to be a little on the “Soft” side.
Strangely enough though, I did find that the paint did harden up after about twelve months.
It was easy to “mark” the paint when the car was new.
We have the face lift Trophy 🏆 now and I think it will be the very same to start with.
My 9 year old granddaughter insisted on putting her own heavy school back back into the boot a couple of weeks ago.
As she lifted up the heavy bag to clear rear bumper, it dragged along the front face of the bumper.
Next time I washed it, you could see a number of white line scratches in the lacquer top coat.
A quick buff with some polishing compound and no more tears before bed time !.
I have never used a hand car wash service or a automated car wash in my over 40 years of driving.
They are quick and easy alright, but your paintwork will suffer badly in the long term though.
Most of the damage is caused when the car is still new and the paint is still soft.
I guess it is purely down to how particular you are about your cars exterior body condition really ?.
Hardened bird 💩 and how you remove it, can have a big impact on your bodywork when the car is new.
It contains lime and more importantly, it usual contains fine partials of grit.
It is slightly acidic which will leave a stain and the grit will cause no end of damage if you scrub at it !.
Top Tip :- If it is a large hard mess, then take a piece of kitchen towel and wet it with some warm water.
Then used some car shampoo and apply it to the damp warm towel.
Place it on top of the mess and leave it !.
Do NOT move the towel or rub at it !.
Let it sit for at least ten minutes.
Then carefully lift off the towel without scrubbing, then using a hose pipe, rinse off the now softened mess.
If it does not remove the mess in one go ( which it usually does ) then repeat the process again.
Works like a charm !.
Continue to wash the car and dry off with a large micro fibre towel.
Check the local area and if it has produced a stain in the lacquer, then this can be polished out.
The longer the mess is allowed to sit on the paint, the more likely it is to leave a stain.

I’ve only got one auto car wash close by so wandered if anyone else finds the rollers don’t reach deeper recesses on the rear of the HS? I end up having to clean out the crease under the spoiler and top quarter of back window. Also under bumper and number plate area.
I know, first world issue…….
Don't go near those auto car washes after taking my bosses Jaguar to one. Waiting in the queue I saw the car in front of me lose a length of chrome trim which ended up wrapped round the car wash brushes and if I hadn't seen it I would have had a lot of explaining to do when I took my bosses battered and scratched car back. So they are a No-No for me now.

Don't go near those auto car washes after taking my bosses Jaguar to one. Waiting in the queue I saw the car in front of me lose a length of chrome trim which ended up wrapped round the car wash brushes and if I hadn't seen it I would have had a lot of explaining to do when I took my bosses battered and scratched car back. So they are a No-No for me now.
Are you sure you weren’t at a safari park?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom