Anyone installed a large 12VDC to 220V AC Inverter in a MG5?

Thanks, I'm well aware of limitations and best practices using the various Lead Acid battery types. I've been sailing/cruising for decades with Lead Acid batteries, sealed and un-sealed using nothing more than a multimeter and the 'resting voltage' as indicator of State of Charge. Haven't been stuck with a dead battery yet knock wood :)

I would certainly be checking the battery often the first few times I put a heavy load on it.
Hi All, this is a a great idea for making EV's more versatile. I made a video for fun on installing a small DC/AC inverter into our ZSEV. Check it out HERE and please Subscribe and give thumbs up if you like it, thanks.

As for the technical stats, thanks to other Community for providing this detail. Enjoy the MG5 :) I wish we had those here in Australia.

Thanks, I'm well aware of limitations and best practices using the various Lead Acid battery types. I've been sailing/cruising for decades with Lead Acid batteries, sealed and un-sealed using nothing more than a multimeter and the 'resting voltage' as indicator of State of Charge. Haven't been stuck with a dead battery yet knock wood :)

I would certainly be checking the battery often the first few times I put a heavy load on it.
Hmm, you seem to have answered all your questions yourself but you need to consider the cell plate construction if you are taking 125A continuous from the battery. Leisure batteries have a very different construction from ICE car batteries, and I think the MG battery fits under the leisure lable, as it has no heavy load requirements. For such batteries, plate warping can occur with heavy loads and the life of the battery is reduced. I'd avoid subjecting the MG battery to any such load.

Hmm, you seem to have answered all your questions yourself but you need to consider the cell plate construction if you are taking 125A continuous from the battery. Leisure batteries have a very different construction from ICE car batteries, and I think the MG battery fits under the leisure lable, as it has no heavy load requirements. For such batteries, plate warping can occur with heavy loads and the life of the battery is reduced. I'd avoid subjecting the MG battery to any such load.
Mine just has a small car battery rather than a leisure battery.

Attachments

• 20220715_111703.jpg
    20220715_111703.jpg
    634.4 KB · Views: 69
I would like to put a relatively large DC-AC inverter into my MG5 so that I can have 'mains' plugs to run vacuum cleaner etc. when working on my boat, which does not have a 'mains' nearby without many many meters of extension cords. There is plenty of room in the bonnet on the Thai version of the car, we don't even have a cover in it at all, just two empty brackets and wide open space.

Running the inverter off the 12VDC Battery with the car in 'camping' mode so that High Voltage Battery is charging the Low Voltage battery should allow me to run AC loads for many hours. I'm thinking a modern 2-3k watt so that I can run power tools for short periods would probably be okay, with the low voltage battery providing 'overflow' current for starting motors etc.

Anyone tried this yet?
In a truck we use an inverter about 3000watts.sine wave is best..it can run fridges..tv.games consuls kettles that are 240v..but has to be hot wired direct to the batteries.
However ours are 24v to start with
Go to a dedicated electrician or shop that fits them..pretty sure you can fit to 12v..but not sure about continuous running..ask these questions first from a professional.

Mine just has a small car battery rather than a leisure battery.
Yes, that image confirms that it has a cold starting current of over 500A, not that the MG EV needs that cirrent, so it will be of the right construction for heavy current applications, but only short duration.

Even most leisure batteries have a ridiculous CCA rating for their intended purpose, for example an Enduroline 110 with dual fix posts (specific to leisure/marine) is rated at 740A CCA.

In comparison an 063 small car battery is only rated at around 260A. The choice of battery in the MG5 is a little curious as at one level far more capable than is needed but given the wide target market it probably covers a wide scenario.

Even most leisure batteries have a ridiculous CCA rating for their intended purpose, for example an Enduroline 110 with dual fix posts (specific to leisure/marine) is rated at 740A CCA.

In comparison an 063 small car battery is only rated at around 260A. The choice of battery in the MG5 is a little curious as at one level far more capable than is needed but given the wide target market it probably covers a wide scenario.
I suspect it has the same original battery as the benzene-powered version of the car in China. These vehicles have been around several years in their ICE format in China before they were converted to electric a couple years ago. It was probably easier for the engineers to just leave the battery location, size and specs all the same rather than having to test a completely different setup, re-configure welds/bonds for the mounting etc.

Hi All, this is a a great idea for making EV's more versatile. I made a video for fun on installing a small DC/AC inverter into our ZSEV. Check it out HERE and please Subscribe and give thumbs up if you like it, thanks.

As for the technical stats, thanks to other Community for providing this detail. Enjoy the MG5 :) I wish we had those here in Australia.

Fantastic, many thanks for making the video, and for sharing on this thread! Exactly what I want to do, except pulling a little more occasionally. From what I can see the MG5 / MG EP can probably handle it.

Liked and sub'd!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom