Apple carplay?

LilithBearsMG4

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
Whats the easiest / cheapest way to get apple carplay to work? I'm sick of the car hating all of my cables and refusing to work 😩

Dealership told me to get a Bluetooth wireless thing off amazon but they're like £50...

There are several threads on this. Have you searched on 'Apple' ?
One essential is that you must use a high speed USB cable. One which has a black or blue plastic insert not white.

Be aware that most of these Bluetooth wireless modules have operating issues. Some of them are too slow, others are freezing the screen or losing the connection and then you have a black screen etc...
It is not easy to find a "good" one. 🙃

Just get an official cable from an actual apple store rather than from Amazon. The shorter the cable the better.
I seem to remember that even official Apple cables don't always work. Looking on the Apple Store it sells Belkin cables which may not be high speed.

Zkapor 30cm cable off Amazon. £3 or £4 and just works. I’ve had both a lightning and now a USB-C (new phone) and have had no issues with either one connecting for CarPlay.

Zkapor 30cm cable off Amazon. £3 or £4 and just works. I’ve had both a lightning and now a USB-C (new phone) and have had no issues with either one connecting for CarPlay.

I have one of these also - 30 months (iphone 12) in I do find that the port on the phone does get clogged up with fluff - last time I took my iphone into the service centre - it was really harsh in how they removed the fluff (using the metal SIM remover). But it did resolve the issue. If you are a bloke who keeps your phone in your pocket, it needs cleaning every 6 months with a metal "pick"?

Since the last software update to R46 on my Trophy, my iPhone will only connect to CarPlay when the car is in Ready mode.

I have one of these also - 30 months (iphone 12) in I do find that the port on the phone does get clogged up with fluff
These are both my experience too. Worked for months and then suddenly would only connect for a second then drop off again. Cleaned the phone’s lightning connector with a wooden toothpick and working perfectly again 👍

As for the cable - the most important thing isn’t whether it’s Apple or expensive/brand name… it’s whether it’s MFi certified and has a genuine chipset.
For instance I use one of these because it matches the MG4 interior… but in my wife’s car it’s a cheap Anko one worth about £4

I have one of these also - 30 months (iphone 12) in I do find that the port on the phone does get clogged up with fluff - last time I took my iphone into the service centre - it was really harsh in how they removed the fluff (using the metal SIM remover). But it did resolve the issue. If you are a bloke who keeps your phone in your pocket, it needs cleaning every 6 months with a metal "pick"?
I bought some cheap Lightning port dust covers on Amazon and keep one in my phone’s port when it’s not being used.

Whats the easiest / cheapest way to get apple carplay to work? I'm sick of the car hating all of my cables and refusing to work 😩

Dealership told me to get a Bluetooth wireless thing off amazon but they're like £50...
Apologies if this is obvious, but are you making sure you’ve unlocked your phone before pressing the Apple CarPlay button on the screen? I thought my cable wasn’t working (standard white Apple or Belkin cable) until I realised you have to unlock the phone first.

Apologies if this is obvious, but are you making sure you’ve unlocked your phone before pressing the Apple CarPlay button on the screen? I thought my cable wasn’t working (standard white Apple or Belkin cable) until I realised you have to unlock the phone first.
You can allow car play to work without unlocking first
But on some infotainment versions you also need to wait for the main screen to be completely started before plugging in the phone
That on top of dust in the port and other possible issues,m

I was misled by the dealership, two sockets in front of the drive selecter Apple CarPlay clearly marked on the right by tv monitor logo, use lighting sync cable usb to Apple phone, plug and play £9.99 Argos worked for me

These are both my experience too. Worked for months and then suddenly would only connect for a second then drop off again. Cleaned the phone’s lightning connector with a wooden toothpick and working perfectly again 👍

As for the cable - the most important thing isn’t whether it’s Apple or expensive/brand name… it’s whether it’s MFi certified and has a genuine chipset.
For instance I use one of these because it matches the MG4 interior… but in my wife’s car it’s a cheap Anko one worth about £4
I tried a few MFI certified cables and none of them worked [ probably fake] so I bought a genuine apple cable and it works perfectly. I did try connecting with a Bluetooth adapter which cost £50, but that was a waste of money as it rarely connected.

There are several threads on this. Have you searched on 'Apple' ?
One essential is that you must use a high speed USB cable. One which has a black or blue plastic insert not white.
I found that by simply turning the plug over and re-inserting the other way up seemed to work - never yet bought a lead from Apple shop, though leads from virtually all retailers seem to be susceptible to troubles. Alas , never got Bluetooth to connect to my iphone.

found that by simply turning the plug over and re-inserting the other way up seemed to work - never yet bought a lead from Apple shop, though leads from virtually all retailers seem to be susceptible to troubles. Alas , never got Bluetooth to connect to my iphone.

I have made a post on here previously after months and months of buying countless cables!!!!
Someone told me the secret!!!
The only one that will ever work is the ANKER one.
It’s your lucky day, they’re on sale today!

https://********3TsyQUi

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel