Apple carplay?

It's not just MG and it's not just wireless though. While I wait for my XPower to float its way round from China, a friend lent me their Mini this weekend, complete with wireless Carplay. At least 3 times, I've had to remove and add my IPhone as Carplay just froze.. They've all got their issues, just so complicated nowadays.

The Mini also refuses to go into drive sometimes if you've dared to do something out of the ordinary, like turn it off and not get out. Open door, shut door, start again and it works :D Computers with wheels, fun fun!!
Good to know its not just us. I’ve been spoilt with some amazing cars, I guess you get used to things working smoothly.

Well I may have discovered the solution for iphone users, MG4 SE model, 7 days in and done it about 10-20 times, worked every time.

1. Make sure that any-fluff is removed from the lightning port, you have to be quite harsh in removing this.
2. Use a short cable - I use a ZKAPOR amazon one.
3. The trick I've found is that the screen on the iphone needs to be off, as when your plugging it in, if the screen comes on, press the right button on the side to turn off the screen, when the cable is plugged in.

Last edited:
Broken record here - it's nothing much to do with cable length, a speck of fluff, cable manufacturer etc. (yes all can impact if extreme)

It's to do with the infotainment system being sufficiently booted to take a CarPlay connection - which takes several seconds. Just ensure the infotainment is up and running - then plug in

It's to do with the infotainment system being sufficiently booted to take a CarPlay connection - which takes several seconds. Just ensure the infotainment is up and running - then plug in
Yes definitely important. I wonder if many of the “only works some of the time” complaints are due to not noticing this.

Once I realised it, my CarPlay works 100% of the time when I wait for the system to be Ready before I plug in the phone.

AND made quicker by unlocking the car earlier as I’m walking towards it instead of using the button on the door handle. This way the car is normally ready the second I sit in and hit the brake pedal instead of having to wait.

Just to state (as others already have on here & similar threads) - it's less about the cable (anything from a reputable manufacturer will be fine), and more about giving the infotainment system time to fully boot-up / load.

Simple steps which work 99%+ of the time:
1. Get into car(!)
2. Foot on brake to trigger the infotainment system to load
3. Wait until info screen is fully loaded
4. Confirm by using the volume control on the steering wheel to adjust, well, the volume (if you don't hear anything then either the vol is incredibly low - or the system has not finished loading)
5. Then, and only then, connect your iPhone
I did that with 27 different different cables! All original apple or high quality, not a single one worked when doing as you say.
Bought an anker one, worked immediately and has done so for months now. Not once has it not connected.

It definitely IS the cable.

I did that with 27 different different cables! All original apple or high quality, not a single one worked when doing as you say.
Bought an anker one, worked immediately and has done so for months now. Not once has it not connected.

It definitely IS the cable.
27?

🤣🤣🤣 well if you have a look at the countless threads on here stating that it is the cable , you might reconsider.
I have also had two MG dealerships say the same.

🤣🤣🤣 well if you have a look at the countless threads on here stating that it is the cable , you might reconsider.
I have also had two MG dealerships say the same.
I did. Eliminated cables quite quickly. Maybe think about what you did? Tried 27 cables and suddenly, miraculously, one worked? Respectfully I suggest it wasn’t the cable then. Perhaps you solved the underlying issue w/o necessarily realising it?

Anyhow, as mentioned, great you got it resolved! Certainly infuriating to have CarPlay so hit’n’miss. Happy motoring to you.

But… did you miss the part where I said I only plugged the phone in AFTER the car was in operation?
I mean, it’s not like there can be 20 other things that could be wrong.
It’s one or the other.
The cable works perfectly now.

Most cables are slow speed (white insert). A high speed cable is essential.
Didn’t know there was such a thing as high-speed Lightning cable (can’t find a spec for it on Apple’s website - Lightning speed is USB 2.0 I think). CarPlay should work with any Apple MFi certified cable. If you’re using a cable that’s not MFi certified, well……

CarPlay should work with any Apple MFi certified cable
Yeah that’s the part most people are missing, plus also the number of fake ones that are on the market.

After realising the system needed to be ‘Ready’ I went back and tested heaps of cables and I’m yet to find a cable that doesn’t work out of Anko, Belkin, Cygnett, Apple brand. All perfect.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back