Apple carplay?

Same issues with mine, using original cable, bought a new original cable still the same. Works normally in my Ford Fiestaā€¦.

Whats the easiest / cheapest way to get apple carplay to work? I'm sick of the car hating all of my cables and refusing to work šŸ˜©

Dealership told me to get a Bluetooth wireless thing off amazon but they're like Ā£50...
I had this problem despite changing cables. I bought a coiled Ketaki Plus cable from Amazon and it now works perfectly. I think the USB A version is currently unavailable though.

Just to state (as others already have on here & similar threads) - it's less about the cable (anything from a reputable manufacturer will be fine), and more about giving the infotainment system time to fully boot-up / load.

[Updating with Step 0 (with thanks for forum members for their input): the cable you are using should be a genuine Lightning cable (one that can transfer data just charge your phone). If the cable is Apple MFi certified then below should work for you]

Simple steps which work 99%+ of the time:
1. Get into car(!)
2. Foot on brake to trigger the infotainment system to load
3. Wait until info screen is fully loaded
4. Confirm by using the volume control on the steering wheel to adjust, well, the volume (if you don't hear anything then either the vol is incredibly low - or the system has not finished loading)
5. Then, and only then, connect your iPhone

Last edited:
Whats the easiest / cheapest way to get apple carplay to work? I'm sick of the car hating all of my cables and refusing to work šŸ˜©

Dealership told me to get a Bluetooth wireless thing off amazon but they're like Ā£50...
Funnily enough weve just set this one up in my Wifes MG4 Trophy & itā€™s playing her music whilst directing us to Peter Kay on the M6. Cost Ā£13.00 off Ali express which is under Ā£20 after UK tax. Took 10 days to arrive.

Attachments

• IMG_7270.jpeg
    IMG_7270.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_7269.png
    IMG_7269.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 65

My Apple cable would not work. I got an Anker cable from Amazon and it works great.

Itā€™s a joke had a 15 year old Nissan and it worked every time without fail! Whatā€™s the problem and why can they not fix it!
Likewise - my 20 year old Z4 (worth Ā£500 from WBAC, ULEZ complaint) works with carplay every time (albeit with a 80quid chinese radio)

Attachments

• IMG_5489.jpeg
    IMG_5489.jpeg
    324.9 KB · Views: 57
I had the car for nearly a year before I got round to bringing a camel to the car to connect car play, all that time the phone would make no sound in the car! I expected connecting it by cable would enable me to set it up to bluetooth to the car. Now as far as I can see it only does CarPlay by wire. Is that right? Pretty prehistoric if so!

My experience is that its iphone users (I have an iphone 12), and yes fluff is a problem, I have a really short amazon cable (MFi), but it still is only 50% connection rate - it maybe settings in the iphone, but I have enabled "Allow CarPlay While..." button. So do any of these wireless systems work on an iphone, with a basic SR model?

I had loads of issues, it turns out I had VPN turned on to block adds but it stops CarPlay working.

I purchased an Apple CarPlay dongle from Temu for around $50 Australian, it only works by plugging and unplugging or rebooting the dongle by purchasing a USB cable with a on off switch.
It looks like the majority of these CarPlay adapters for MG 4 are problematic.

I purchased an Apple CarPlay dongle from Temu for around $50 Australian, it only works by plugging and unplugging or rebooting the dongle by purchasing a USB cable with a on off switch.
It looks like the majority of these CarPlay adapters for MG 4 are problematic.
Go to the settings page using the web address in the instructions. Update the dongle (whilst sat in the car) then increase the delay start option from 0 seconds to 60 seconds. It cured mine (thanks to another members advice) no switching/reboot needed. It will automatically start inside approx 90 seconds of starting the car.

I had the car for nearly a year before I got round to bringing a camel to the car to connect car play, all that time the phone would make no sound in the car! I expected connecting it by cable would enable me to set it up to bluetooth to the car. Now as far as I can see it only does CarPlay by wire. Is that right? Pretty prehistoric if so!
Yes, wired CarPlay / AndroidAuto only, no wireless support.

To recap for those new to this:
  • Wired support only from the left hand USB-A socket only (not USB-C).
  • Decent cable needed (Anker seems to work well, Apple not so much)
  • Must wait for system to boot before plugging in (if using a wireless CarPlay/AA device, must configure boot up delay).

Hi, same thing with me when I upgraded my iPhone to a 15, several people suggested turning the Bluetooth off which I did, then hit another problem wouldnā€™t work off the usb-c cable in the car so then had to but a usb converter and stuck it into that port at least that worked but then it wouldnā€™t get apple play up, so went into WiFi settings and deleted the mg on it by doing forget this network, finally got it to work!
All I do now is make sure the Bluetooth is off on the iPhone and itā€™s plugged into the usb port and ensure the apple play icon on the screen is lit up,
happy days, until next time.
A big thank you to everyone for your help.

Hi, same thing with me when I upgraded my iPhone to a 15, several people suggested turning the Bluetooth off which I did, then hit another problem wouldnā€™t work off the usb-c cable in the car so then had to but a usb converter and stuck it into that port at least that worked but then it wouldnā€™t get apple play up, so went into WiFi settings and deleted the mg on it by doing forget this network, finally got it to work!
All I do now is make sure the Bluetooth is off on the iPhone and itā€™s plugged into the usb port and ensure the apple play icon on the screen is lit up,
happy days, until next time.
A big thank you to everyone for your help.
I read this & realised how bizarre & unacceptable it is in 2024 that we are struggling to use carplay in a modern car! MG have no excuse. Wireless CarPlay should be a given. And yet here we all are fighting to find a working solution & thinking we have ā€œswum the channelā€ if we can play music & use apple maps in our new Chinese cars. Not good enough MG ! Customers deserve better.

I read this & realised how bizarre & unacceptable it is in 2024 that we are struggling to use carplay in a modern car! MG have no excuse. Wireless CarPlay should be a given. And yet here we all are fighting to find a working solution & thinking we have ā€œswum the channelā€ if we can play music & use apple maps in our new Chinese cars. Not good enough MG ! Customers deserve better.
Why am I picturing this being finished with a mic drop?!

It's not just MG and it's not just wireless though. While I wait for my XPower to float its way round from China, a friend lent me their Mini this weekend, complete with wireless Carplay. At least 3 times, I've had to remove and add my IPhone as Carplay just froze.. They've all got their issues, just so complicated nowadays.

The Mini also refuses to go into drive sometimes if you've dared to do something out of the ordinary, like turn it off and not get out. Open door, shut door, start again and it works :D Computers with wheels, fun fun!!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 505 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back