Are MG4s going to be driven by Old Farts!

Most reviews I've seen on YouTube seem to say that rear visibility is fine ... the lack of centre headrest helping in this respect.

Depends what you mean by rear view. Of the car behind it's probably great when the screen is clean. But when it's muddy or after a Saharan sand event probably dreadful given the absence of rear wiper - we just have to clean it manually. And for parallel parking the 360o cameras are probably a huge benefit for Trophy owners.

I think that the styling of the MG appeals to younger drivers too

Most reviews I've seen on YouTube seem to say that rear visibility is fine ... the lack of centre headrest helping in this respect.

Depends how you define fine.
It’s a narrow, steeply raked window and the two remaining headrests are large.
In good conditions I’d describe the rear viz as adequate, in that you can see what’s behind you, but I’ve had a lot better.
In wet/cold conditions the bottom few inches of the screen never clearing of mist or ice( the wires there are for the DAB aerial) makes rear vision poor.
It would have been far more sensible for the never-clear part of the screen to be at the top.
I don’t really get bothered by it as such, as years of driving vans has led me to use just the side mirrors more than your normal car driver would.

I think that the styling of the MG appeals to younger drivers too

The younger (20-35YO) members of our office absolutely ‘prefer’ the looks of my 4 over the Leafs I’ve had.
But prefer doesn’t mean appeal.
It’s a non-car to them, zero appeal.
It’s not good looking enough to make then consider one, and the brand itself is uncool.
They’d have a Tesla M3 though, that wins the EV appeal game.
Some would argue on brand alone, but Teslas also have performance to match the BMW/Audis they all want or have.

Depends how you define fine.
It’s a narrow, steeply raked window and the two remaining headrests are large.
In good conditions I’d describe the rear viz as adequate, in that you can see what’s behind you, but I’ve had a lot better.
In wet/cold conditions the bottom few inches of the screen never clearing (the wires there are for the DAB aerial makes rear vision poor.
It would have been far more sensible for the never-clear part of the screen to be at the top.
I don’t really get bothered by it as such, as years of driving vans has led me to use just the side mirrors more than your normal car driver would.
I agree I think describing the visibility as "fine" is accurate it's not great it is ok.
WRT the lack of wiper it's good without it, not had any issues in rain or the worst of the bad weather.

Interesting. I think a lot of the lack of ‘appeal’ is the badge. Younger people love Tesla, I was stopped all the time. Yet the M3 from the front looks like a crouching frog!

Interesting. I think a lot of the lack of ‘appeal’ is the badge. Younger people love Tesla, I was stopped all the time. Yet the M3 from the front looks like a crouching frog!

I’m 55, I also want a Tesla but can’t really stomach paying those prices to do under 8000 miles a year.
The trouble I’m having with the 4 makes me think another £xxx a month might not be a big deal though.
I’m not saying an M3 would be faultless, although many report they are, but at least I’d be in something I consider cool and pretty fast.

I’m 55, I also want a Tesla but can’t really stomach paying those prices to do under 8000 miles a year.
The trouble I’m having with the 4 makes me think another £xxx a month might not be a big deal though.
I’m not saying an M3 would be faultless, although many report they are, but at least I’d be in something I consider cool and pretty fast.
Go for it.

I'm 36 with a 5yr old and 2yr old, 5yr old thinks it looks like a race car.

There's actually more room in the back than in our ZS EV MK1, we have identical car seats in both and driving position is the same virtually and our little boy (2yr old) can't reach the driver's seat in the 4 but in the ZS he can reach with his knees still bent

I wouldn't say it will be a car specifically PCPd by the younger generation (what modern MG is), but I also wouldn't say it'll be primarily purchased by older folk. As shown by the wider age demographic above who have purchased/ordered one.

I was about to reply (at 38) - yet it’s creeping up on me that I’m not really in the “young” camp anymore 🙂

Yet both my 11 year old and I love the volcano orange.

My 4yr my junior missus keeps reminding me 40 is fast approaching, pretty much at the same rate my hairline is retreating 😂😂

There is a poll giving an indication of the demographic here: :)

Well at 83 I definitely qualify as an Old Fart. We have an orange Trophy on order and I've been driving ev's for 6 years.
I had a used Leaf 24 for two years then bought my first ever brand new car 4 years ago, a Kona 64, which we still have.

Happy and Healthy 2023 to all.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel