Audio system sound quality

With all the complaints about the audio system, I think it's important to remember it's built to a cost. If you want better quality audio, you'll have to fork out for it! A few years back I had a Kia Sportage and specified that with upgraded audio, including a sub in the boot. Sound quality was impressive to my ears.
At £20-22k, I can understand cheap and cheerful, built to a cost argument. But at £30-32k plus for top LR Trophy models, that is above most mid range cars in the UK. The point is in this day and age, it is a basic expectation of having a decent stock sound system.

Let’s see what I find out today.. fingers crossed!

I test drove the new zs in December and found the audio ok. It was better than mine in the MG5.
Sales rep also thought the system was improved but there was no indication in the sales blurb that it had.
I belive the trophy spec comes with a 6 speaker system vs the 4 on the SE spec much like the GEN 1

Alright guys... here is the update (drum roll time!!):

Firstly, thanks to everyone for providing very useful inputs and honest opinions. I test drove the MG ZS EV LR again this morning and specifically spend good bit of time checking audio system and playing with various settings.

So initially the sound was lacking any depth, punch, bass but after tweaking the settings, enable loudness, virtual sound and specially EQ settings (using similar to rock settings with higher base and treble levels), the overall sound was much improved and more than acceptable. Also tried playing couple of music videos (whilst stationary in park mode) and again they play just fine with decent audio using same settings so great result overall.

And I am happy to report, I now officially declare this as "adequate" for my needs :) .

Couple of questions/observations though:
1. When playing audio using USB, I could not find a way of browsing songs via folders. The system was just showing a long list of all songs on the usb stick together on left hand side scroll mini window when in music menu. I do like structuring my songs in different folders for ease of use etc and all my previous cars have managed to show folder structure and enabled me to choose which folder to play etc. Maybe this is hidden somewhere in the settings I couldn't find or maybe MG needs to improve this via a software update. Does anyone know if there is a way to look at folder structure for USB songs?

2) Not related to audio system, but on the test drive vehicle there was a annoying slight ticking sound/noise coming when the air circulation system was on (even on lowest fan setting). The noise went away as soon as air system was switched off so definitely related to it. It is only noticeable if stationary and in a very quiet area. Has anyone else got this problem or is it just the test drive vehicle having an teething issue (sounded like maybe a wire or something is touching fan blades making that noise)?

Last edited:
With all the complaints about the audio system, I think it's important to remember it's built to a cost. If you want better quality audio, you'll have to fork out for it! A few years back I had a Kia Sportage and specified that with upgraded audio, including a sub in the boot. Sound quality was impressive to my ears.
Fair point but I wouldn't describe my comment at least as a complaint, more a statement of fact. When I bought the car, the quality of the sound system was not a deal breaker so to me, it just is what it is.
I suppose the irritating thing is that in a cost constrained design there are compromises to be made but not everyone will agree the right ones were chosen. As an example, I would happily trade my electric seat control for better sound quality so it's not necessarily about how much you spend but where the money goes.

If you are a Bose system fan, then be prepared to be under underwhelmed sorry !.
A sub would go along way.
This is coming from a long time Bose fan.
( In fact I am wearing a pair of blue tooth, QC35 noise cancelling head phones right now ).
There is a virtual subwoofer option in the settings. (y)

Firstly, thanks to everyone for providing very useful inputs and honest opinions. I test drove the MG ZS EV LR again this morning and specifically spend good bit of time checking audio system and playing with various settings.

So initially the sound was lacking any depth, punch, bass but after tweaking the settings, enable loudness, virtual sound and specially EQ settings (using similar to rock settings with higher base and treble levels), the overall sound was much improved and more than acceptable. Also tried playing couple of music videos (whilst stationary in park mode) and again they play just fine with decent audio using same settings so great result overall.

And I am happy to report, I now officially declare this as "adequate" for my needs :) .

1. When playing audio using USB, I could not find a way of browsing songs via folders. The system was just showing a long list of all songs on the usb stick together on left hand side scroll mini window when in music menu. I do like structuring my songs in different folders for ease of use etc and all my previous cars have managed to show folder structure and enabled me to choose which folder to play etc. Maybe this is hidden somewhere in the settings I couldn't find or maybe MG needs to improve this via a software update. Does anyone know if there is a way to look at folder structure for USB songs?

2) Not related to audio system, but on the test drive vehicle there was a annoying slight ticking sound/noise coming when the air circulation system was on (even on lowest fan setting). The noise went away as soon as air system was switched off so definitely related to it. It is only noticeable if stationary and in a very quiet area. Has anyone else got this problem or is it just the test drive vehicle having an teething issue (sounded like maybe a wire or something is touching fan blades making that noise)?
Yes the little clicking sound is from the ventilation fan. It goes away when you turn it up or rather is covered by the increased sound of the fan. I think in an ICE car it would also make the noise but the engine covers it up.

Yes the little clicking sound is from the ventilation fan. It goes away when you turn it up or rather is covered by the increased sound of the fan. I think in an ICE car it would also make the noise but the engine covers it up.
Thanks... so it looks like a feature of the car! Is it only in the new ZS EV or been there since Gen1?

Mine has that. To be honest it's only really annoyed me once but a lot of the time I forget it's there. Interesting you noticed it on the car you drove though.

Its one of those things I'll be mentioning at the first service, rather than taking it in specifically for that issue.

my car has the same ticking sound from center vent on low setting. I won't bother with that. I have a sharp air purifier at home with the same ticking sound. It is called Plasmacluster Ion Generators noise.
I will have a play with the sound setting to see the difference.

At £20-22k, I can understand cheap and cheerful, built to a cost argument. But at £30-32k plus for top LR Trophy models, that is above most mid range cars in the UK. The point is in this day and age, it is a basic expectation of having a decent stock sound system.

Let’s see what I find out today.. fingers crossed!

Yes, I forgot to say I was referring to the gen1 and whilst it had a list price of around £30k-ish, or near as dammit, when I bought mine, I paid far, far less (in fact the deal I was offered actually pushed me to buying an EV!). I'm glad you were able to sort out the audio in the gen2 to your tastes.

About your questions, in the gen1 you can sort music files by folder as that's how I prefer to navigate through mine.

Right then… going for another test drive tomorrow specially to play around with different audio settings and see if I can make it sound “adequate” to my ears. Will report back but any tips on your optimum settings for me to try out will be welcome.

It is important to me to have a decent sound system as I do enjoy my music and this becomes even more important in an generally very quiet electric car.

I am actually quite surprised MG haven’t nailed it given it’s 2022!! My 2006 Vauxhall Vectra Elite I owned many years ago had fantastic audio system. Owned number of different cars over the past decade and all had decent to great audio system. Even my current Nissan Leaf Tekna has premium bose audio with subwoofer etc that sounds more than decent - this model was launched back in 2013!! Come on MG!
What you also have to bear in mind is how much you would have to pay for a comparable Nissan Leaf today. Personally my hearing is nowhere near good enough to be able to compare the difference in quality between two different sound systems so the fact that I have no complaints about the ZS Exclusives sound system is probably not helpful.

I test drove a new mg ev 5 today and the sound , after adjustments, is pretty crap which is a shame I have to say..... Nice to have at least a half decent sound system I have to say. If I can take it somewhere and get it upgraded I'd definitely do that. Any tips on where to take it? South Wales or bristol area .

I love my MG4 trophy, but even with the two additional speakers, it reminds me of an in-car sound system from the 1980’s. In my opinion. Even with tweaking, it’s by far the biggest weakness and disappointment for me. Listening to music is a chore and it shouldn’t be.

I think it could be enhanced with new speakers and a subwoofer and or meatier amp for around £1k. Till cheaper than a £40k car. I am going to explore for my ZS EV TCLR.

I will 100% be upgrading my sound system once mine arrives. I recall on test driving thinking as many have posted, it was absolutely "ok". Personally I take great joy in good sounding music whilst driving, particularly on long journeys.

Please anyone who does an upgrade post in here and let us know how it goes! + Costs!

77C5214A-6BD3-44C4-939F-2592B08BEB92.jpeg
Our gen 1 Zs exclusive performs well with these settings. Our other car is a 5 series with sub woofers etc under the seats. As a budget brand it will never compare. The system just isn’t as powerful. It is however acceptable for day to day stuff. Our sound quality is the same wether radio/dab/apple play is used!

I did notice when I had the HS as a courtesy car the sound system on the lower spec car was so tinny. No amount of changing settings improved it much 👎 So it seems its dependent on what spec you get 🤷🏻‍♂️

I hit my ZS this week
I managed to get the usb working g so my entire music collection is now available

I changed the settings to sound surround and it now sounds fab

Right then… going for another test drive tomorrow specially to play around with different audio settings and see if I can make it sound “adequate” to my ears. Will report back but any tips on your optimum settings for me to try out will be welcome.

It is important to me to have a decent sound system as I do enjoy my music and this becomes even more important in an generally very quiet electric car.

I am actually quite surprised MG haven’t nailed it given it’s 2022!! My 2006 Vauxhall Vectra Elite I owned many years ago had fantastic audio system. Owned number of different cars over the past decade and all had decent to great audio system. Even my current Nissan Leaf Tekna has premium bose audio with subwoofer etc that sounds more than decent - this model was launched back in 2013!! Come on MG!
If you were to buy the Vectra Elite today, the price would be around £35-£40,000+. The same analogy would apply to the Leaf (which Nissan sold initially at a loss). The MG’s price is substantially below what either of those would be today. Time has moved in, but car prices have risen by a greater amount. My Audi A8’s (company cars) had fantastic Bose systems, which I dearly miss. My darling wife still has the HS PHEV Exclusive, which, hopefully soon will have a budget subwoofer installed under the seat and JBL mid-ranges in front doors with dynamat applied to door inners. My estimate for that is around £350 fitted. Whilst the sound is OK, I am left wanting when I put my Dire Straits or her George Micheal on the CarPlay.

The TCLR audio is ok for day to day as mentioned elsewhere. Being realistic the up market cars probably have up to £2k of retail value in their systems.
There is a YouTube channel - TotalEV? that gives good advice on maximising the infotainment settings.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom