Battery charging and balancing

Further to my original question, overnight the same occurred i.e. the car indicated it had finished charging from the wall charger after I pressed the drivers door handle without the keys nearby. Then the MG front grill pulsated and went steady to indicate balancing in progress. I still wonder why.
Kithmo mentioned about balancing etc: " it's already come up from 4.178V to 4.191V on this balance"
How do you get this type of information please?
Regarding Laurence Bs previous question about the Ohme, we do not use its smart features so as a "dumb" charger it does its job and was competively priced.
Cell voltages can be read on the "ZS EV" android app or Torque Pro, using an OBDII bluetooth adapter.
Interestingly, I've just charged and balanced SWMBO's 5 up overnight and unplugging it and plugging it back in again gave another hour or so of balancing. I think this is going to be my new balancing routine from now on, restart the charging process after finishing to get that extra bit of balance, on both my ZS and her 5.

I've had my ohme charger for 2 weeks and I'm sorry to say i wish id gone elsewhere, mg does not provide them with the API so the intelligent part does not work, i.e. it does not show how much charge is left in your battery, it thinks it at 0%
Yup, I have noticed that as well. A bit confusing.

Cell voltages can be read on the "ZS EV" android app or Torque Pro, using an OBDII bluetooth adapter.
Interestingly, I've just charged and balanced SWMBO's 5 up overnight and unplugging it and plugging it back in again gave another hour or so of balancing. I think this is going to be my new balancing routine from now on, restart the charging process after finishing to get that extra bit of balance, on both my ZS and her 5.
I had to look up SWMBO...

Further to my original question, overnight the same occurred i.e. the car indicated it had finished charging from the wall charger after I pressed the drivers door handle without the keys nearby. Then the MG front grill pulsated and went steady to indicate balancing in progress. I still wonder why.
It's just a rechargeable battery thing. If anyone has anything that charges, batteries, phone, vacuum cleaner, power tools... anything, then once fully charged if you disconnect and re-connect it will briefly start charging again until it realises it's full.

It's just a rechargeable battery thing. If anyone has anything that charges, batteries, phone, vacuum cleaner, power tools... anything, then once fully charged if you disconnect and re-connect it will briefly start charging again until it realises it's full.
I agree, it triggers a cycle to attempt a charge, but then after a while, it will realise that the battery is fully charged and balanced and turn off the wall box etc.
It will probably drop straight into the balance process at a very low charge rate and then just quit after a short time.
Interesting to hear how long it takes before it decides to stop ✋.

That's nothing to do with the Ohme charger though, none of them get this info from the car.
My issue with the Ohme is that it's only geared up for cars that provide all that data, with the MG we just need a simple schedule facility to be provided by the Ohme charger/app, I've had to setup a bodge configuration to get it to charge as I want it to using my off-peak rate etc.
I'd be interested to see screen shots of your " bodged" configuration please as i have the same issue

I'd be interested to see screen shots of your " bodged" configuration please as i have the same issue
I've put all the details in here

here's my screen shots.

Attachments

• IMG_5896.PNG
    IMG_5896.PNG
    138.8 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_5895.PNG
    IMG_5895.PNG
    122.9 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_5894.PNG
    IMG_5894.PNG
    145.9 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_5893.PNG
    IMG_5893.PNG
    142.6 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_5892.PNG
    IMG_5892.PNG
    140.5 KB · Views: 126
I plugged the car in last night (which was at 65%) to let it charge overnight to 100% & to do a balance as I missed doing a balance last month.
On the OBD scanner it's only showing 96.2% as a full charge! This car is still on the original software i.e. wont charge unless locked.
dDQSi5Gl.png

wYtbS2jl.jpg

I plugged the car in last night (which was at 65%) to let it charge overnight to 100% & to do a balance as I missed doing a balance last month.
On the OBD scanner it's only showing 96.2% as a full charge! This car is still on the original software i.e. wont charge unless locked.
dDQSi5Gl.png

wYtbS2jl.jpg
That is correct, via the OBD2 you see the true SOC, so you are seeing that the BMS will not allow you to “fully” charge the battery and it allowing a 3.8% top buffer.
If you’d have the new 450v BMS you’d see it tops out at about 93-4%.

That is correct, via the OBD2 you see the true SOC, so you are seeing that the BMS will not allow you to “fully” charge the battery and it allowing a 3.8% top buffer.
If you’d have the new 450v BMS you’d see it tops out at about 93-4%.

Ah! right, Cheers for that.

Granny charged my 1,000 mile, 5 week old zs last night, i had 50 miles left, got the same 160 miles and 455v but dont forget it's only a guess, all depends how you drive, heater on etc etc im thinking of getting an OBD2, i think i may have the old but good BMS too.

Granny charged my 1,000 mile, 5 week old zs last night, i had 50 miles left, got the same 160 miles and 455v but dont forget it's only a guess, all depends how you drive, heater on etc etc im thinking of getting an OBD2, i think i may have the old but good BMS too.
It’s unbelievable that a 5 week old car has pre-January software on it, surely they should’ve updated it before releasing the car!!!

It’s unbelievable that a 5 week old car has pre-January software on it, surely they should’ve updated it before releasing the car!!!
My local dealer had 2 in stock and a 5, so i only had to wait a week for it to be registered and the pdi. they are a new dealership and i dont think they knew much about them,

Attachments

• 20210912_154314.jpg
    20210912_154314.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 96
they are a new dealership and i dont think they knew much about them,
There is your answer to your question @JodyS21
The all too familiar "Kick & Ship" routine unfortunately.
MG are wasting their time issuing the service bulletins, if the dealers are not applying them.
Some prefer to adopt "Ostrich Syndrome" and bury their heads in the sand.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom