Battery range

Raymond 1956

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
My MGZS is 3 months old. The fully charged range was 198 mls but now it is down at 155. Has anyone had this problem or know what causes it. Cheers

Hi, try resetting the short and long trip counters, turn off air con and fan and try again in eco mode.
The GOM uses your driving habits to calculate range.

Hi Raymond .. My MG ZS EV is fitted with the 50.3Kw battery pack. After owning this car for 2 weeks now I found my battery pack range to increase !!. It was originally 320km ... it is now 349km!! I have travelled over 1400km's so far. (not all at once .. ha ha ) I top the battery charge up with another 15amp 240 volt charger that has 3 different 15amp / power inputs. 15amp / 10amp / and 6 amps. With the 6amp input rate this puts a slower rate of charge into the battery but stabilizers the battery pack over all and (from what I have been told on the web) that it bring the battery up to 100% efficiency I have this mount in my shed at home. The original change pack that MG supplies with the car stays in the car, in case I get somewhere and need to plug in. The 15amp multi charger cost me $259 inc tax here in Australia.
I do use the air con and heater when needed... I drive in Normal mode with number 3 KERS (regen) braking. Hope this helps... regards Squeak.

Part 2 : The 15amp charger is 3.1 kw @ 15amp 240 volt. To charge the battery from 24% back to full took 11hours 30 mins (approx). When using the 6amp option .. from 63% back to full take double the time .

Attachments

• 349km 2.JPG
    349km 2.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 113
  • 349km.JPG
    349km.JPG
    207.2 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Colder weather, shorter days.
My 2020 ZS does 160 miles in Summer and 130 miles in Winter.
I'm somewhere in between at the moment, around 145 miles with the temperatures hovering around 6-15 deg C.
Also, I believe when the temperature drops below 10 deg C the battery heater comes on, this reduces the range.

Colder weather, shorter days.
My 2020 ZS does 160 miles in Summer and 130 miles in Winter.
I'm somewhere in between at the moment, around 145 miles with the temperatures hovering around 6-15 deg C.
Also, I believe when the temperature drops below 10 deg C the battery heater comes on, this reduces the range.
It gets cold here in Melbourne Australia... but what I did was I insulated the shed roof and painted the concrete floor in my shed. My car is now cool in summer and warm in winter. Solar panels on the shed roof helps with free power when changing too :p

I recently (end Nov so quite cold ) bought Mar-22 registered ZS Trophy connect and when I bought dealer had charged it to 100% showing 191miles range. Now today when I charged it to 100% at home using 3pin slow charger it's showing only 150 miles. Not sure why so much of difference.

Here it is

Attachments

• 15C82418-8C08-40E4-9DDD-E2EE595AFB7E.png
    15C82418-8C08-40E4-9DDD-E2EE595AFB7E.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 79
Last edited by a moderator:
I recently (end Nov so quite cold ) bought Mar-22 registered ZS Trophy connect and when I bought dealer had charged it to 100% showing 191miles range. Now today when I charged it to 100% at home using 3pin slow charger it's showing only 150 miles. Not sure why so much of difference.
When did you last reset your combined trip meter?
When was the last balance charged?

Had our Trophy 🏆 LR in March 2022.
99% of our charging requirements / usage case will see us charge to 80% SOC.
Only charging to 100% for the rare longer trips ( as recommended by the manufacturer).
Purely by choice, I always reset both trip recorders before charging.
From March until very recently, the GOM will report a consistent predicted range of 212 miles at 80% SOC.
As the ambient temperature is now dropping, the predicted range at 80% has reduced slightly to 210 miles.
Next week, the temperature could drop down to -3 in our neck of the woods, so it will be interesting to see what it reports then !.
@ajayghode Just make 100% sure, you have fully turned off your HVAC after your previous trip, or this will instantly drag down your predicted range hugely on next boot up !.
I find the balancing process a bit contradictory in someways on the Trophy LR version to be honest ?.
The manufacturer recommends that the standard range should be charged to 100% every single time it is plugged in.
I get this, due to the battery chemistry used on that model.
On the Trophy LR model, with a different battery chemistry, it suggests charging to 80% SOC for for regular shorter trips and ONLY charging to 100% for the longer journeys, as charging to 100% on a regular basis is not good practice for this type of battery chemistry.
As we know, balancing of the pack can only commence when the battery is 100% fully charged first, but MG also recommend carrying out a balance cycle once a month also ?.
There is the contradiction in terms really ?.
If charging to 80% SOC on LR suits your usage case for 99% of the time and 100% is only recommended for longer term battery health, then how is this possible to achieve a balance of both of these recommendations ?.
Hand on heart, I have only fully charged my LR twice since March and we have now covered over 7,000 miles.
All charging has been done from home on our wall box.
No rapid or public charging been carried out in that time.

Cold = Less range.

Really is that simple.

Also cold = using heater and heated seats more which increases energy consuption along with lights and wipers being used more which also contributes to the increase in energy usage and decreased range.

My model is 51KWH. Previous owner drove it for 7300 miles I bought it only recently. Hence I don't know how to balance charge. After buying I charged mostly between 70-92% and only today I charged first time to 100%. Ideally I should be getting a range of 198 miles. But considering cold weather (5-5C) how much should I expect and how to balance charge it?

When at 100% just keep it on charge over night that's the easiest way (it don't use much electricity)
You need to reset both trip counters to get the original range if not it will take all previous driving into consideration

My model is 51KWH. Previous owner drove it for 7300 miles I bought it only recently. Hence I don't know how to balance charge. After buying I charged mostly between 70-92% and only today I charged first time to 100%. Ideally I should be getting a range of 198 miles. But considering cold weather (5-5C) how much should I expect and how to balance charge it?
Ensure you have turned off your HVAC or your predicted range will be a lot LESS than you are expecting to receive after a full charge and balance.

Reset the trip counters and turn everything off that will give you a better figure on the GOM.
When the car reaches 100% on an AC EVSE the power drawn will drop to between 300-500w to battery balance and could take a few hours if not done for a while and been charged on rapid units.

Last edited:
Thanks. So I reset the counters before start charging and let the charger stay connected and ON overnight after the battery reaches 100%. Ok I will try it right now and will post the results tomorrow.

Thanks. So I reset the counters before start charging and let the charger stay connected and ON overnight after the battery reaches 100%. Ok I will try it right now and will post the results tomorrow.
And just remembered as your car is a standard range (LFP battery) whenever you charge it if you can 100% is recommend

First tip worked. I just reset the counter and HVAC off and eco mode the range went up to 193 miles. I have now port it for charging and will follow the next part of balancing till morning.

Here it is
Been told that weather conditions affect the range along with various other things. Had mine in and checked and told everything is ok. This appears to be the norm. Speaking to owners of other electric cars they all have the same issue

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom