Battery soh

1 Year old, 15,600miles. (Half during bad BMS). Readings taken in Full Ready mode before balance has finished but 100% charged.
Voltage 449.0 V
Current 0.875 A
Cell Max 4.164 V
Cell Min 4.148 V
SoC 92.9%
SoH 98.79%

Sorry if this has been covered - do we have a recommended obd bluetooth dongle and app for the ZS that will work with apple ios? Thank you.

You can still compare, the information the apps return is the same, just in a different layout.
For most of the data, this is quite true. However, the version number data is in a strange variable-length format that most apps don't handle well. Other than the unofficial Thai app, I've only seen one app that can report "version numbers", and in fact it only returns a sort of abbreviated string of about 3 characters, and the version has to be one from a short list or it can't display anything. That's Torque Pro/Lite.

Edit: OVMS can report version numbers properly, but it's not an app (though it has one) and is a lot more effort and expense to install.

Last edited:
We are IOS users as well, but I don't think there is an OBD unit that will work on IOS ?.
Android only I believe ??????.
I've had to resort to finding an android device to use (we're pretty much all IOS too).
Bluetooth version problems can arise more with IOS than android.....

Now completed 22500 miles and today my SOH in now 95.5, only a few thousand miles ago it was 98.31% and so it’s dropped very quickly. I have been told that it will generally drop quickly and then slowly tapper off, that said it about 7 miles I will monitor further…

only a few thousand miles ago it was 98.31% and so it’s dropped very quickly.
This is the risk with MG's strategy. Initially, people are reassured (still 100%, wonderful!), but then it goes from no reported degradation to rapid reported degradation. This is the scary zone.

Now completed 22500 miles and today my SOH in now 95.5, only a few thousand miles ago it was 98.31% and so it’s dropped very quickly. I have been told that it will generally drop quickly and then slowly tapper off, that said it about 7 miles I will monitor further…
I don’t think that is too bad. As you say, batteries take an early drop and then level off before later on in life hitting the ‘valley of death’. Has your car had much rapid charging?

I don’t think that is too bad. As you say, batteries take an early drop and then level off before later on in life hitting the ‘valley of death’. Has your car had much rapid charging?
Not massive amounts no, 12 to 15 at a guess…

Hi Mark, just remind me what BMS are you running on ?.
And what predicted range are you seeing on the GOM after a full charge & balance.
With the usual trip meter resets done of course.
Thanks 🙏

Hi Mark, just remind me what BMS are you running on ?.
And what predicted range are you seeing on the GOM after a full charge & balance.
With the usual trip meter resets done of course.
Thanks 🙏
It’s the latest version and my GOM shows about 157 on a full charge with trip meters fully reset.

It’s the latest version and my GOM shows about 157 on a full charge with trip meters fully reset.
For what it’s worth, mine is about the same.
18 months old, 14,000 miles.
I don’t know what my actual SOH is ( no OBD unit yet, still WIP ).
But let’s just take a quick assumption here, which we all know is the killer of all 🤣.
But just humour me for a minute.
If we consider that the predicted range POST new BMS is ( at best ) - 162 miles of range when the car is returned by the dealer.
And now after about 6 months of use ( in my case at least ) I am now seeing a reported range on the GOM of 155 - 157 ( ish ) miles of range.
So, a potential range loss of around 7 miles since the update maybe.
Then does this roughly equate to a 8% loss of range from the original 162 miles that we had post upgrade, or am I incorrect folks ?.
( 5% of 162 = 8 )
I somehow wonder if when the BMS is completely reset at the dealership, it commences from a starting figure of 162 miles.
It has to have a commencement figure in order for the dealer to establish if the upgrade has been successful.
So, it commences by reporting the new maximum predicted range of 162 and then as more charge cycles are made, it then continues to recalibrate the predicted range reported on the GOM based on the HV batteries condition.
Pure and utter guess work on my part of course, but this would go some way into explain why the percentage has reduced in a shorter time scale - maybe 🤔?????.
If my theory is correct, then the decline in the reported range will stabilise or not as the case maybe !.
As stated above, the OBD adaptor is still a work in progress situation.
But I am going to make a pure guess that my current SOH is around the 95% mark ( ish ).

For what it’s worth, mine is about the same.
18 months old, 14,000 miles.
I don’t know what my actual SOH is ( no OBD unit yet, still WIP ).
But let’s just take a quick assumption here, which we all know is the killer of all 🤣.
But just humour me for a minute.
If we consider that the predicted range POST new BMS is ( at best ) - 162 miles of range when the car is returned by the dealer.
And now after about 6 months of use ( in my case at least ) I am now seeing a reported range on the GOM of 155 - 157 ( ish ) miles of range.
So, a potential range loss of around 7 miles since the update maybe.
Then does this roughly equate to a 8% loss of range from the original 162 miles that we had post upgrade, or am I incorrect folks ?.
( 5% of 162 = 8 )
I somehow wonder if when the BMS is completely reset at the dealership, it commences from a starting figure of 162 miles.
It has to have a commencement figure in order for the dealer to establish if the upgrade has been successful.
So, it commences by reporting the new maximum predicted range of 162 and then as more charge cycles are made, it then continues to recalibrate the predicted range reported on the GOM based on the HV batteries condition.
Pure and utter guess work on my part of course, but this would go some way into explain why the percentage has reduced in a shorter time scale - maybe 🤔?????.
If my theory is correct, then the decline in the reported range will stabilise or not as the case maybe !.
As stated above, the OBD adaptor is still a work in progress situation.
But I am going to make a pure guess that my current SOH is around the 95% mark ( ish ).
Yep, from several sources of data, it does seem that SOH can be calculated reasonably accurately based on trip reset/fully charged GOM. 156/163 = 95.7%. Which suggests upon a trip reset & full charge, the GOM (N3) is literally calculated using SOH% of 163miles.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom