• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Best (value) way to treat small paint chip

The paint code NFZ is the one I was given by head of service at my local MG dealer 🤷🏼‍♂️
Interestingly, my order arrived today from Paint nuts. I had every intention of returning it as I had used the door code, and reordering from Chipex, but orange arrived and the bottle/pen was marked "MG NFZ" . Fortunately, not black phew!
20230320_115639.jpg

Just contacted Chipex again and they reckon they have the colour now. So I've ordered orange again... We shall see...
I received my volcano orange kit from them last week. You should be good now.

I received my volcano orange kit from them last week. You should be good now.
Did this work ok and colour match well?

Annoyingly I noticed a cluster of 4 chips on the bonnet yesterday. No idea how this happened and no luck so far in finding somewhere to fix. One recommended place I contacted said the bonnet looked like it needed a complete respray, which wasn't something they could do. Another place isn't open until Monday. I think the damage is down to the metal, so I can't leave too long, otherwise I guess the onset of rust is a risk.:cry:

Attachments

• IMG-20230413-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20230413-WA0001.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 129
Did this work ok and colour match well?

Annoyingly I noticed a cluster of 4 chips on the bonnet yesterday. No idea how this happened and no luck so far in finding somewhere to fix. One recommended place I contacted said the bonnet looked like it needed a complete respray, which wasn't something they could do. Another place isn't open until Monday. I think the damage is down to the metal, so I can't leave too long, otherwise I guess the onset of rust is a risk.:cry:
The chipex kit worked well for me though my chips are a little smaller and not in a cluster. There are plenty of videos on youtube showing how to use, I think you should be able to get a good result.

I think that you may find that the MG colour is called “Dynamic Red” which is a commonly offered colour offered across many MG models, it is an official known as a “Tri - Coat” finish and tends to be a more expensive paint option.
Here is the official MG paint code, the picture has been taken from a ZS EV.
5RSJ is the official MG paint coded.
As it’s been a commonly used colour over the years, on a lot of models, the touch up kits can usually be bought from the MG agents.

1681745761064.png

Frustratingly someone reversed into ours at the weekend which took some paint off the rear bumper. Paint does look very thin, doesn't look to be any primer either, maybe its because its a single stage colour (Glacier White) What's interesting is on the VIN plate the Paint code is shown as 5IAG but that doesn't appear on any web sites

We've spotted one on ours today 2 weeks in to ownership above the nearside headlamp! :( Trying to decide where best to order repair kit from.

Attachments

• PXL_20230417_161257363.jpg
    PXL_20230417_161257363.jpg
    425.7 KB · Views: 95
We've spotted one on ours today 2 weeks in to ownership above the nearside headlamp! :( Trying to decide where best to order repair kit from.
Using the colour code supplied by Lovemyev above I've just ordered a touch up paint pen and lacquer from E-bay for £11.49 delivered for my Dynamic Red MG Trophy.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well that didn't take long.
Today, I parked the car in a car park while we went to get a few things.
On the left side was a grey Fiat 500. Not a big car by any means. Came back to find 3 small dents to my passenger front wing.
Honestly. Some people nowadays have no standards at all. I was absolutely livid but what can you do.
Anyway, I have the Regen policy so at least that is something.

On the left side was a grey Fiat 500. Not a big car by any means. Came back to find 3 small dents to my passenger front wing.
My wife has a Fiat 500 and they are very popular with ladies.
What I tend to find with them is this.
Given they are a fairly small two door car, the doors are larger than you expect on a car of that size. When you push the doors open to allow rear passengers to get out, the passenger tends to grab the top of the front door frame in order to help them get out.
As you step out with one foot, the door door tends to be pushed open wide, unless somebody on the outside is acting like a "check strap" to limit the opening width.
No doubt this where the damage has been caused !.
The safety stay in the door has a long way to travel before the "Safety Stay" is engaged.
At this point the door has likely hit the car alongside.
I guess this is a problem with all two door cars and therefore, I try to steer clear of there presents in a car park.
Child seats fitted in the back of the car, is another "red flag" for me, even though I now have grown up children myself.
Lifting a two year old child, from a baby seat in the back of a two doors car is extremely difficult and painful on your back.
Trying to achieve this action without causing damage to the car parked alongside is a total ninja skill that never always works and ends in bad place for the car parked alongside.
A good PDR person is your best friend in this situation.
Once had a two day old BMW 3 series and my wife went to Tesco's to grab some shopping.
She was in the shop for less than ten mins and returned to find that somebody had rammed a shopping trolley into the rear door !.
The door could not be PDR'd because where the damage was located and therefore had to be filled and sprayed.
Not great on a two day old car.

My wife has a Fiat 500 and they are very popular with ladies.
What I tend to find with them is this.
Given they are a fairly small two door car, the doors are larger than you expect on a car of that size. When you push the doors open to allow rear passengers to get out, the passenger tends to grab the top of the front door frame in order to help them get out.
As you step out with one foot, the door door tends to be pushed open wide, unless somebody on the outside is acting like a "check strap" to limit the opening width.
No doubt this where the damage has been caused !.
The safety stay in the door has a long way to travel before the "Safety Stay" is engaged.
At this point the door has likely hit the car alongside.
I guess this is a problem with all two door cars and therefore, I try to steer clear of there presents in a car park.
Child seats fitted in the back of the car, is another "red flag" for me, even though I now have grown up children myself.
Lifting a two year old child, from a baby seat in the back of a two doors car is extremely difficult and painful on your back.
Trying to achieve this action without causing damage to the car parked alongside is a total ninja skill that never always works and ends in bad place for the car parked alongside.
A good PDR person is your best friend in this situation.
Once had a two day old BMW 3 series and my wife went to Tesco's to grab some shopping.
She was in the shop for less than ten mins and returned to find that somebody had rammed a shopping trolley into the rear door !.
The door could not be PDR'd because where the damage was located and therefore had to be filled and sprayed.
Not great on a two day old car.
I very much appreciate this information and fully understand it. Thank you for taking your time to post it.

I very much appreciate this information and fully understand it. Thank you for taking your time to post it.
You’re very welcome 🙏!.
If the dents are small and close together and more importantly the paint finish is NOT broken.
Plus, he or she has easy access into the wheel arch, then also behind the plastic splash guard in the wheel arch, then it is pretty straight forward task for a good PDR person.
They will either use a glue pulling technic or ( and ) very likely roll out them dents from behind, pretty quickly.
It’s just a shame you end up paying for somebody else’s mistakes / carelessness (n).
I know the feeling you get when you first discover the dents, it makes you feel sick.
Prices for the work will vary of course, it will depend on the time required and the level of work involved, plus your location in the country regarding prices.
But going by your description of what sounds like these very small supermarket dents, in my area I would be expecting to pay out around £100 - £130 ( ish ) ???.
Not too spiteful, but an expense you could do without on a new car.
Good luck and I hope you get it sorted (y).

You’re very welcome 🙏!.
If the dents are small and close together and more importantly the paint finish is NOT broken.
Plus, he or she has easy access into the wheel arch, then also behind the plastic splash guard in the wheel arch, then it is pretty straight forward task for a good PDR person.
They will either use a glue pulling technic or ( and ) very likely roll out them dents from behind, pretty quickly.
It’s just a shame you end up paying for somebody else’s mistakes / carelessness (n).
I know the feeling you get when you first discover the dents, it makes you feel sick.
Prices for the work will vary of course, it will depend on the time required and the level of work involved, plus your location in the country regarding prices.
But going by your description of what sounds like these very small supermarket dents, in my area I would be expecting to pay out around £100 - £130 ( ish ) ???.
Not too spiteful, but an expense you could do without on a new car.
Good luck and I hope you get it sorted (y).
Again I fully appreciate your thoughts and thank you.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 468 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 43 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back