Bluetooth key HELP!

NiroMG

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I specifically bought the trophy for the Bluetooth key function. Now that I really need it it doesn't work.

Key's at a friend who's overslept I'm sat in the car that I've unlocked using the app but can't drive it!

Car says
Put key to manual start position

Quite a few reports of this, I'm one of them. The key unlocks the car but will not put it in ready mode. 🤬 I've started a thread on my investigations. I did get it to work by creating a new MG account, but when I unbound that account to try the old one again, the new account now fails to start the car again when I rebound it.

It's a problem at the MG server end I think. With an older version of the app it showed a new key being created every time it was activated. They have removed the ability to see that on the later versions of the app.

Likewise mine has never worked . The garage did have mine in to look at the issue amongst some other bits , updates etc but informed me MG ismart was down so were unable to investigate. Seems MG systems always appear to have some issues with being down. Bluetooth phone connection is near to useless as well as the phone needs to be reconnected every time.

Mine works ok. I can unlock the car remotely but I do have to be sat in the driver's seat to start it with the app.

Last edited:
Likewise ... press the digital key Start button, get the Key message, then press the brake pedal and all comes to life.

When I tested the process it worked. Never needed it for real. Are you rushing the process? Have you got out, locked the car and started the process again, is reboot? (The reference to 'Manual Start Position was for a slot in the lift-up centre storage which used to have a key-shaped hole. It was there in case of a low key battery power. No keyhole in my Trophy.)

This is what I get. Unlocks shows as connected. Press start stop button and shows no key. Brake pedal depressed nothing. Disabled the digital key and started again still the same.

Attachments

• IMG_20230826_125453.jpg
    IMG_20230826_125453.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Screenshot_20230826_125032.jpg
    Screenshot_20230826_125032.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 78
If using android, make sure you have enabled the app permission for nearby devices (think that's the name)

If using android, make sure you have enabled the app permission for nearby devices (think that's the name)
It connects to the Bluetooth fine and the command to unlock the car works, it just will not start.

The obvious stuff has be covered many times, the issue is with the digital key not being properly recognised by the car. It is not something we or the dealers can fix, it is a cloud server to car problem initialising the key.

I have been playing about with the digital key in my Trophy. Firstly, let me say that I do not use Bluetooth normally and have only activated it on my phone when ask by the car. My starting condition is that my phone's Bluetooth is switched off at

I use the app to unlock the car whilst in the house.
I get into the car with my phone and it warns me it cannot detect the smart key.
I access the Digital Key window and press the 'Activate ...' button.
I enter my pin.
The iSmart App requests it turn on Bluetooth (Deny/Allow buttons).
I select 'Allow' and the connection is made (but see later).
I press the 'Start' button on the App and then press the brake pedal and the car enters the Ready state.

NOTE: Twice in 8 attempts the App shows 'Connecting' followed by 'Disconnected'. To rectify I have switched off Bluetooth on my phone and then switched it back on again.
However, even with the 'Disconnected' warning showing pressing the 'Activate' button requires me to enter my pin.
Switching Bluetooth off and on works and I can start the car.

After my testing I disable the digital key which requires me to switch off Bluetooth.

One problem occurred when I had not switched off Bluetooth before starting my test.

More tests required to solve this issue but, to me, it is a Bluetooth issue not a cloud one.

This is what I get. Unlocks shows as connected. Press start stop button and shows no key. Brake pedal depressed nothing. Disabled the digital key and started again still the same.
Disabling the digital key turns the function off so it won't start with it disabled.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back