Boot bike rack - recommendations

JuziWomble

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Any Cyclists out here / if so … does anyone have any recommendations re tailgate / boot racks ?? I’m considering a Saris Bones 2/3 rack - based on the fact that the feet can cover the rear spoiler of a Trophy - as I’m questioning the Solo config re the spoiler

& yeah I know we can’t use the roof
Also No to tow bar currently as mg4 is toooo new drr

3rd party tow bar may be available this quarter. The MG4 is specced for 50Kg nose weight and 500Kg towing weight.

Agreed … but the cost of a tow hitch / and associated tow hitch rack .. is that worth the spend ver a boot mounted dedicated rack ?
Open to discussion
In the mean time / back seat down and bike inside is always an option 😜

I've had every type of bike carrier in my time (and mean every type) and, without doubt, the best has been my current Thule clamp-on one. It's brilliant but expensive.
If you're going to keep the car and can afford it, go for a tow bar mounted one.

Ive got a saris bones 3 and I've offered it up to my Trophy and it looks like it would do the job. However, i hate using them and im working out a way to fit my bike in the back on a Thru axle fork stand. On previous cars I take the front wheel off and the seat and it stands up behind the drivers seat

I currently have a mk1 ZS EV and I bought a Halfords rack which fitted well but I did use an additional strap round the tailgate for additional security. However, I was never really comfortable with the arrangement as I had an EMTB.

In the end I resorted to taking the front wheel off and putting the seats down. It fits in really well. However, as I cycle up to 3 times a week the rear seats are always down and in this weather i cannot help but get mud somewhere in the back even though I use a battery jet wash on the bike.

When I went to look at the MG4 I measured the boot and the bike will fit in. However, I have decided to invest in a tow bar - when available and also buy a tow bar rack.

If anyone hears of an available tow bar for MG4 please add to the feed as I too have to load my bike in the car, seats down and it's not good for my back let alone the interior. 👍

Just checked Witter, and they don't offer one for the MG4 yet.
The site says there may be one already in development, or you can book your car in with them to be measured up.
Re witter - Yeap emailed them already 🤪

Ive got a saris bones 3 and I've offered it up to my Trophy and it looks like it would do the job. However, i hate using them and im working out a way to fit my bike in the back on a Thru axle fork stand. On previous cars I take the front wheel off and the seat and it stands up behind the drivers seat
Would you mind taking a picture of how the saris looks / I understand your concerns re using it tho

The image is to swing my mind re a tow bar solution…. Thanks In advance

If anyone hears of an available tow bar for MG4 please add to the feed as I too have to load my bike in the car, seats down and it's not good for my back let alone the interior. 👍
Good shout 👍🏼

Re witter - Yeap emailed them already 🤪

Would you mind taking a picture of how the saris looks / I understand your concerns re using it tho

The image is to swing my mind re a tow bar solution…. Thanks In advance

Good shout 👍🏼
ill have a go tomorrow morning and take a pic

The Saris Bones 3 can be mounted with the upper straps above the rear spoiler.With the adjustability of the rack i think there may be a way to mount the upper feet above the spoiler and the lower feet on the rear window. what i hadn't anticipated was that when mounted like this the number plate would be so obscured and would probably need an additional plate . This wouldn't be necessary if mounted higher.

Also the rear door can be opened with the rack and bike in place

Attachments

• thumbnail_20230125_101402.jpg
    thumbnail_20230125_101402.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 1,101
  • thumbnail_20230125_101408.jpg
    thumbnail_20230125_101408.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 806
  • 20230125_101507.jpg
    20230125_101507.jpg
    718.7 KB · Views: 788
Oh my - a set of Saris feet mounted to the rear window & a set above the spoiler ?? Yikes >!

re the images shown - Can the adjustment straps fit under the rear spoiler or do they 'have to go over' ??
Either way - Thanks for the efforts in mocking this up today 👍🏼

I think the higher the better it keeps as much road crap away from the bike (why i like the upright inside option) is a fair-weather bike. The straps could go a lot ..lot lower and under the spoiler .

as for the rear window these carriers are designed for contact with glass and this one has been on a Kamiq, Tiguan, Golf, Octavia, Ecosport, kia picante, tuscan, sportage, Santa Fe, Tesla 3 and Y, Exeo and an X type Jag all with no issues

I think the higher the better it keeps as much road crap away from the bike (why i like the upright inside option) is a fair-weather bike. The straps could go a lot ..lot lower and under the spoiler .

as for the rear window these carriers are designed for contact with glass and this one has been on a Kamiq, Tiguan, Golf, Octavia, Ecosport, kia picante, tuscan, sportage, Santa Fe, Tesla 3 and Y, Exeo and an X type Jag all with no issues
Are there weight limits when attaching to the rear glass only?

Are there weight limits when attaching to the rear glass only?
There will be a limit and it may be worth asking MG if they are prepared to publish one. There is only ever one pair of legs on the glass so the weight will be distributed depending on the positioning of the carrier

There will be a limit and it may be worth asking MG if they are prepared to publish one. There is only ever one pair of legs on the glass so the weight will be distributed depending on the positioning of the carrier
Just pondering now on a Saris Solo 1 (might go to Halfords and see if they would mind me trying one) - Its only my bike I will travel with & having seen the sort of costs re towbars; I'm debating just have the bike inside car v a solo 1 ..

Did you ever get to sort upright transit of your bike ?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 513 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back