Boot bike rack - recommendations

@Surfdog cheers for these.
I put mine in the same but rear wheel first, probably explains why it was a pain. I'll try your way next time. This is a bit new for me as both of my last cars were more mini MPV (2002 Merc A Class, and 2010 Renault Scenic) so most bikes could go in as @Splodgie does.

A bit off topic, but this reminds me of when I had a Fiat Seicento and a MountainCycle Shockwave 9point5....... Tight!
DSC00237.JPG

At one point I had this and a Santacruz Super 8 in the back along with 2 bags of body armour helmets etc.

For our recent trip to Centre Parcs, I mounted the Saris Bones on the rear window. Three bikes and no issues at all. It was interesting the drop in battery consumption due to the extra drag, but Centre Parcs have dedicated EV charging points.
out of interest, what range drop did you notice? Quite interested to hear what this affect is.

I've removed false floor along with polystyrene surrounding pump and sealant and replaced with plastic boot liner. Loads more space.
Firstly remove front wheels from bikes.
Place largest bike front forwards lying on lhs with right pedal in down position.
Cover with old sheet or blanket to prevent scrapes.
Place second bike on top, again facing forward with left pedal in up position going through frame on lower bike.
Chuck in wheels and away you go.
First bike is medium sized mens and second is medium sized females though Could fit another larger bike. Takes a while to get pedals in correct position but can now store and remove in only a few minutes and much less hassle than faffing about with a carrier.
That’s great, much appreciated. I have a dropper saddle so lowering it will be easy enough.

I've removed false floor along with polystyrene surrounding pump and sealant and replaced with plastic boot liner. Loads more space.
Firstly remove front wheels from bikes.
Place largest bike front forwards lying on lhs with right pedal in down position.
Cover with old sheet or blanket to prevent scrapes.
Place second bike on top, again facing forward with left pedal in up position going through frame on lower bike.
Chuck in wheels and away you go.
First bike is medium sized mens and second is medium sized females though Could fit another larger bike. Takes a while to get pedals in correct position but can now store and remove in only a few minutes and much less hassle than faffing about with a carrier.
Thanks @Surfdog - sorry if you already mentioned this, but do you have any details of the plastic boot liner you used?

Thanks @Surfdog - sorry if you already mentioned this, but do you have any details of the plastic boot liner you used?

When I had 3-door Fiestas back last century I used to run them with the back seat folded down all the time. I bought carpet off-cuts in a charmingly toning colour scheme and cut them to fit the load bay. Looked good, worked a treat, and the carpet surface was great for sliding bikes and things in and out. I did have to take steps to prevent other things I carried regularly from sliding around though. If a carpet off-cut had become damaged or impossibly dirty I'd simply have chucked it and bought another one. They're cheap.

£33.03 50%OFF | TPE Rubber Rear Trunk Mat for MG 4 MG4 MuLan EV EH32 2022 2023 2024 Car Boot Cargo Liner Floor Tray Luggage Pad Rug Accessories

This is one i bought on Ali Express. I had one previously on my Honda and this is just of same quality and fits perfectly.

I like the look of that, but what I would like is something similar that fits across the entire load bed with the rear seats folded down. That would really facilitate bike transport.

I like the look of that, but what I would like is something similar that fits across the entire load bed with the rear seats folded down. That would really facilitate bike transport.
Not quite the same but I've ordered a fitted waterproof boot liner that goes up to the front seats. The one I've chosen has a padded base because I transport my two greyhounds in the car and has access panels for the back doors.

1685602403258.png

Yes I know it's not an MG4 but it's just to show what it is. They do them in various colours and configurations and they do do them for the MG4 although it isn't listed at the moment.

let us know how you get on and take some pics
Hey @Splodgie - Q. Did you attach your Mount to the false floor as in via Bolts or Velcro - I cant image you just 'placed it' on the false floor ?
I noticed you have the floor in the lower position (I guess to allow handlebar clearance) - So I'm wondering exactly how you attached your mount to the floor - As I'm questioning 'how much clearance say bolts would have to I think the Motor Cover beneath - My Mount has two bolt holes left and right of the Mount - Hence, I'm thinking of bolting via m8 bolts 60mm length from under up and have the Nuts on the Mount - Not clean looking but practical given my thoughts on lack of space between false floor and Motor cover?

HI, I used bolts and reinforced the underside with a plate made from an old numberplate. drilled holes through the floor and plate then glued the plate onto the underside . I used M8 bolts cut to be flush with the nutsand washers and it all holds very well.

I used the lower position for more headroom but its quite a small frame (54cm) so it made little difference.

Re Old number plate ... Hmm I think I have a few of them hahaha - Good shout

Road-Bike Fork Mount 5x100RF Q/R

This is the type of thing i used just google or ebay's` bike fork mount. the one i use had thru axle as standard with inserts for QR. you can fit them left right or centre its a bit of fettling depending on your bike type and size.
So after a lot of fiddling / fettling - we came to the conclusion my bikes are probably simply too large ! - Simply couldnt fit the Gravel in as intended front forks on floor - headset handlebars too high - regardless of the rear tyre 'locked' into the roofliner .. wasnt going to go to the lenghts of removing air from tyre and adjusting forks setup - To do that I may as well lay bike flat and remove both wheels - Boom

So thats a no go for me - Didnt try the road bike - But suspected its going to be similar - Back to the drawling board as we say

For our recent trip to Centre Parcs, I mounted the Saris Bones on the rear window. Three bikes and no issues at all. It was interesting the drop in battery consumption due to the extra drag, but Centre Parcs have dedicated EV charging points.
Did you have to fit a extra number plate / lamp board ?
Saris Bones 2 or 3 ?

That's a shame, you must have big" ish" frames. I hope you find a solution that suits.
I'm 6'1 - so yeah big ish frames easy

No solution at present - MG have made it clear if I did ignore them re the roof rack that my warranty would be in jeopardy re anything roof related as I have asked WHY we cant use - So I cant plead ignorance ..

Not Keen on going MG priced Towbars fitted by MG dealerships (which was the MG implied route in a recent email exchange) as they would be using MG EU parts - We can Guarantee that will be pricy!

Open minded re Saris Bones 2 - re Back end support/straps over the top rear spoiler - Do you need (I think we do & cant due to the Cambus issue) a number plate board etc etc

So for the time being - Its Back seat Down and in a bike goes !

I've just been mucking around in the back of mine with the rear seats folded, and I think there is more space than I had in my Golf. (My dealer said, if you can get your bike in your Golf you'll be able to get it in the MG4, but my frame is only 19 inches.)

I measured the length from the back of the passenger seat (pushed right forward and with the back upright) to the tailgate, and it's 180 cm. I can lie stretched out my full length in it - I'm 170 cm, 5' 7". I'm pretty sure I couldn't have done that in the Golf.

First time for putting the bike in the MG4.

1689008642195.png

Went in very easily, more easily than it went into the Golf.

Indeed there is a reason for that - the missing front mudguard. That's the reason it's in there, it has an appointment at the bike shop to fit a replacement and give the bike a general overhaul. We'll see if it's as easy coming back, with the new mudguard on. But it definitely seems to be bigger than the Golf, if not in width certainly in length.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 514 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back