Boot bike rack - recommendations

So contenders if the Solo 1 doesnt over fit the rear light bar

Thule Outway Platform

RockBros Suction Bike rack Car Roof ....
Thule have come back - Its not tested on the 4 as of yet - So cant recommend use .. BLAH .. I'll see if there are any local Thule suppliers that are willing to test a fitment - just like my local Halfords did last night (so thumbs up to them for helping) - but as expected a solo 1 was never going to fit ..

In the mean time - this concept seems a Fine idea if we can make it work space wise ...

i bought the bits from the netherlands (many Euros) and just made it work in my tiguan and then the Octavia. I had to take the seat off which was ok as i wanted to disconnect my Di2 battery and its in the seat post. I also rook off the rear derailed and pedals when travelling very long distances with lots of luggage I put the bike in a single duvet cover to hide/protect it and its been to spain, france italy and a few locations in the UK without any issues. The kit comes with QR and thru axle fittings i'll try to find the link but it was about 4 yrs ago.

I finally got around to fitting my internal bike carrying set up and it fits into my trophy nicely.

firstly as in my other cars i have to remove the seat post . not a problem as its a Di2 system and i like to disconnect the battery when travelling longer distances and its in the seat post. I put the boot floor in the lower position and use the mount to anchor the front wheels and you can have it comfortably and securely sited with the rear wheel between the front seats. It doesn't even reach as far as the centre rest.

Attachments

• 20230403_111036.jpg
    20230403_111036.jpg
    974.2 KB · Views: 241
  • 20230403_111041.jpg
    20230403_111041.jpg
    624.7 KB · Views: 215
  • 20230403_111033.jpg
    20230403_111033.jpg
    662.6 KB · Views: 217
  • 20230403_111050.jpg
    20230403_111050.jpg
    502.2 KB · Views: 248
ill have a go tomorrow morning and take a pic

The Saris Bones 3 can be mounted with the upper straps above the rear spoiler.With the adjustability of the rack i think there may be a way to mount the upper feet above the spoiler and the lower feet on the rear window. what i hadn't anticipated was that when mounted like this the number plate would be so obscured and would probably need an additional plate . This wouldn't be necessary if mounted higher.

Also the rear door can be opened with the rack and bike in place
Hi, just wondering if you’ve had any issues with the side straps slipping? I’ve just been into a Halfords store and they’re not confident on them staying in place.

I finally got around to fitting my internal bike carrying set up and it fits into my trophy nicely.

firstly as in my other cars i have to remove the seat post . not a problem as its a Di2 system and i like to disconnect the battery when travelling longer distances and its in the seat post. I put the boot floor in the lower position and use the mount to anchor the front wheels and you can have it comfortably and securely sited with the rear wheel between the front seats. It doesn't even reach as far as the centre rest.
!! LIKE

Ok - The Mount to anchor the front - Through axel ? Do you have a Link to them ?

Seat post Out concept v Both Back seats down and the front wheel folded up .. As I have done before - This could be a very easy mod and Safe still giving space inside for a passenger and or other bags etc etc

For our recent trip to Centre Parcs, I mounted the Saris Bones on the rear window. Three bikes and no issues at all. It was interesting the drop in battery consumption due to the extra drag, but Centre Parcs have dedicated EV charging points.

Thanks both. I was quite surprised also - Thule bike racks that mount in the same way as the Saris don't have any side straps so I'm reasonably happy the side straps don't do very much if Thule is willing to sign off!

For our recent trip to Centre Parcs, I mounted the Saris Bones on the rear window. Three bikes and no issues at all. It was interesting the drop in battery consumption due to the extra drag, but Centre Parcs have dedicated EV charging points.
@Moscardini

What type of bikes were you carrying (pictures?) and if possible an approximate weight.

I'm thinking of a boot rack for my e-bike as I've tried it inside the car with the seats folded and the front wheel out of the bike but its a bit awkward due to the weight (approx 25Kg).
My regular non e-bike is still a bit awkward, but less hassle as its half the weight.

Also is your MG4 a Trophy or SR/SE, as I'm wondering about straps on the spoilers.
Cheers

If you're meaning about using the spoilers as anchor points - don't; they don't look robust enough for that sort of function.

Just as an addition to my previous post, I like how @Splodgie has done his, but unfortunately not an option as I can't take the seatpost out (dropper post), and I think the front would sit much higher.

If you're meaning about using the spoilers as anchor points - don't; they don't look robust enough for that sort of function.
No, not as anchor points, more the straps going over them and either putting pressure on and damaging, or rubbing the paint away

Road-Bike Fork Mount 5x100RF Q/R

This is the type of thing i used just google or ebay's` bike fork mount. the one i use had thru axle as standard with inserts for QR. you can fit them left right or centre its a bit of fettling depending on your bike type and size.
Ta - Ordered :)

Whilst I have a thule Roof rack and can get the thule kit to change the feet - If I can have a bike inside then I wont be thinking what's that creak I hear... let alone is it safe up there ..

@Moscardini

What type of bikes were you carrying (pictures?) and if possible an approximate weight.

I'm thinking of a boot rack for my e-bike as I've tried it inside the car with the seats folded and the front wheel out of the bike but its a bit awkward due to the weight (approx 25Kg).
My regular non e-bike is still a bit awkward, but less hassle as its half the weight.

Also is your MG4 a Trophy or SR/SE, as I'm wondering about straps on the spoilers.
Cheers
The tree bikes were my and my wife’s mountain bikes. Approx 20kg in total. Plus our granddaughter’s 20” wheel Isla bike. Which is approx 3-5 kg.

We have a Trophy and the upper straps went over the spoiler. Note, due to the close gaps you cannot open the boot with just the aria bones rack on. Being quite sad I also used some old inner tube to protect the paintwork for the bike rack hooks.
Hope that helps.

When I was looking at new cars one of my prerequisites was that it could take two adult mountain bikes in rear with seats folded down. The MG4 can do this no problem and I regularly use it for this. So I would only need a bike rack if I was carrying luggage as well or required space for rear seat passengers.

When I was looking at new cars one of my prerequisites was that it could take two adult mountain bikes in rear with seats folded down. The MG4 can do this no problem and I regularly use it for this. So I would only need a bike rack if I was carrying luggage as well or required space for rear seat passengers.
Surfdog, could you possibly take a picture when you next put the bike into the car just so that I can see how you do it. I have an EMTB which fitted my ZS really well.

Unfortunately, due to a knee injury I have not been out on my bike since last September but I am hoping to get out soon.

Surfdog, could you possibly take a picture when you next put the bike into the car just so that I can see how you do it. I have an EMTB which fitted my ZS really well.

Unfortunately, due to a knee injury I have not been out on my bike since last September but I am hoping to get out soon.
I've removed false floor along with polystyrene surrounding pump and sealant and replaced with plastic boot liner. Loads more space.
Firstly remove front wheels from bikes.
Place largest bike front forwards lying on lhs with right pedal in down position.
Cover with old sheet or blanket to prevent scrapes.
Place second bike on top, again facing forward with left pedal in up position going through frame on lower bike.
Chuck in wheels and away you go.
First bike is medium sized mens and second is medium sized females though Could fit another larger bike. Takes a while to get pedals in correct position but can now store and remove in only a few minutes and much less hassle than faffing about with a carrier.

Attachments

• 20230525_194327.jpg
    20230525_194327.jpg
    615.8 KB · Views: 188
  • 20230525_194537.jpg
    20230525_194537.jpg
    455.3 KB · Views: 191
That's what I do, although just with one bike. I was so starry-eyed about the MG4 that I forgot to check if it was big enough when I had my test drive. I mentioned it to my dealer who assured me that if I could get it in a Golf I could get it in the MG4. Glad to see he was right.

With only the one bike I find I can get a suitcase and other stuff in as well. I do have an actual tailgate fitting bike rack, bought for my Peugeot 306 when I was moving house, but I don't think I used it since. I find it hard to lift the bike on to it and end up having to call for help.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 514 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back