BP Chargemaster - Timed Charging issues

Update on scheduled charging with the BPChargemaster smart charger. Since 10 March (ok only 4 charges) the scheduling has been working. I have yet to extract an explanation from Chargemaster but lets celebrate the positive. If yours isn't working and you have the MG BMS update after around Aug 2020 (Charger cable locks with the doors unlocked), I suggest you get back in touch with BPC support.

Additionally, the mobile app and Chargevision website, that used to give errors on login whilst the car was charging, have also started working since mid March.

Update on scheduled charging with the BPChargemaster smart charger. Since 10 March (ok only 4 charges) the scheduling has been working. I have yet to extract an explanation from Chargemaster but lets celebrate the positive. If yours isn't working and you have the MG BMS update after around Aug 2020 (Charger cable locks with the doors unlocked), I suggest you get back in touch with BPC support.

Additionally, the mobile app and Chargevision website, that used to give errors on login whilst the car was charging, have also started working since mid March.
Hi Graham,
Very pleased that your scheduling is working. I have had my ZS BMS updated to the latest one, and all of the other ECU's also updated. Cant charge using the schedule either on the phone app or through the Chargevision website, though the charger is communicating with the apps since I can see the charging time/cost etc. I've not had much success with contacting anyone at BP Chargemaster/Pulse who seems to understand the problem. Are you able to tell me what I should say to them or who I should speak to so that I get passed through to someone who understands the problem and can help?
Thanks

Last edited:
Hi Graham,
Very pleased that your scheduling is working. I have had my ZS BMS updated to the latest one, and all of the other ECU's also updated. Cant charge using the schedule either on the phone app or through the Chargevision website, though the charger is communicating with the apps since I can see the charging time/cost etc. I've not had much success with contacting anyone at BP Chargemaster/Pulse who seems to understand the problem. Are you able to tell me what I should say to them or who I should speak to so that I get passed through to someone who understands the problem and can help?
Thanks
Here, Here

Sorry for the delay, I have only just seen your replies.

In November last year I wrote to BPC management pointing out that the product was being sold as a 'smart charger' and, despite two replacements and numerous communications with the Support team over 6 months, the charger was still not fit for purpose. Within a week I received a phone call from the one person who has some technical understanding of the product and how the car/charger interface works. He visited and spent over 2 hours testing and measuring the Control and Pilot signals between the car and charger, which proved that the car was behaving correctly and the charger had adequate communication (3G signal) but the charger was 'locking up'.

According to BPC they have done nothing to make it work and are still awaiting feedback from their development teams!

In order to get a copy of the internal report produced by their Engineer, I promised not to share his details or the report itself. In theory, he now sees all escalated calls through the Support team but, if you wish, I will forward your Call and/or Unit number to him, to make sure that your calls are escalated and that you are in the 'melting pot' for any updates.

I am still running tests and proving feedback to BPC but, with one exception where the vehicle was plugged in 12 hours before the schedule start time, it has been working perfectly since 10 March.

I hope this is some help

Sorry for the delay, I have only just seen your replies.

In November last year I wrote to BPC management pointing out that the product was being sold as a 'smart charger' and, despite two replacements and numerous communications with the Support team over 6 months, the charger was still not fit for purpose. Within a week I received a phone call from the one person who has some technical understanding of the product and how the car/charger interface works. He visited and spent over 2 hours testing and measuring the Control and Pilot signals between the car and charger, which proved that the car was behaving correctly and the charger had adequate communication (3G signal) but the charger was 'locking up'.

According to BPC they have done nothing to make it work and are still awaiting feedback from their development teams!

In order to get a copy of the internal report produced by their Engineer, I promised not to share his details or the report itself. In theory, he now sees all escalated calls through the Support team but, if you wish, I will forward your Call and/or Unit number to him, to make sure that your calls are escalated and that you are in the 'melting pot' for any updates.

I am still running tests and proving feedback to BPC but, with one exception where the vehicle was plugged in 12 hours before the schedule start time, it has been working perfectly since 10 March.

I hope this is some help
Thanks for this. I will message you privately with my details.

I stayed well clear of the BP Chargemaster home chargers. I could have had one installed free, but decided to go for the untethered EO Mini Pro 2 through Octopus Energy.

To be honest I’ve not had a single issue with timed charging. It charges at 7.1kW and am really pleased with it as I wanted a very compact charger.

Hi Graham et al. I had a BP Chargemaster "smart" 7kW charger installed last September but never bothered with the app for timed charging until I saw this thread last month. Since mid March the Chargevision scheduling appears to be functioning satisfactorily with my sons Honda e on a daily basis. I first tried a delayed charge with my MG ZS and that seemed to work okay but have only used instant charging since as I only occasionally need to charge.

The problem I have with the installation is the additional consumer unit BP fitted in lieu of an earthing rod. The Over/Under voltage device cuts the power to the charger randomly several times a day for a few minutes at a time. Once the charger is activated the power remains on for the full charge. I am in communication with BP helpline but it is slow going at the moment. I will let you know their response.

I have had a dumb Chargemaster 7kW for the last 5 years which has worked without a problem and used almost daily up until the smart charger was installed. It now gets occasional use if the smart is occupied.

Now restrictions are easing I will experiment with trial timed charges on the MG and update this thread. Good luck.

Hi Graham et al. I had a BP Chargemaster "smart" 7kW charger installed last September but never bothered with the app for timed charging until I saw this thread last month. Since mid March the Chargevision scheduling appears to be functioning satisfactorily with my sons Honda e on a daily basis. I first tried a delayed charge with my MG ZS and that seemed to work okay but have only used instant charging since as I only occasionally need to charge.

The problem I have with the installation is the additional consumer unit BP fitted in lieu of an earthing rod. The Over/Under voltage device cuts the power to the charger randomly several times a day for a few minutes at a time. Once the charger is activated the power remains on for the full charge. I am in communication with BP helpline but it is slow going at the moment. I will let you know their response.

I have had a dumb Chargemaster 7kW for the last 5 years which has worked without a problem and used almost daily up until the smart charger was installed. It now gets occasional use if the smart is occupied.

Now restrictions are easing I will experiment with trial timed charges on the MG and update this thread. Good luck.

Hi Jake, Would be good if you could let us know your experience with timed charging when you can. Would be nice to know how widespread a problem it was!

My MG5 works okay on timed chargers apart from having to allow approximately 15 minutes for it to wake the car and start charging, so as it's scheduled start time is 00:30 it doesn't actually start charging the car until around 00:40 so I'm going to move the start time to 00:15 and see how it goes. My only issue is i still can't get over 3.5kWh of charge rate.

My MG5 works okay on timed chargers apart from having to allow approximately 15 minutes for it to wake the car and start charging, so as it's scheduled start time is 00:30 it doesn't actually start charging the car until around 00:40 so I'm going to move the start time to 00:15 and see how it goes. My only issue is i still can't get over 3.5kWh of charge rate.
So precise, to save a couple of pennies and I thought we Yorkshire folk were tight. :ROFLMAO:

It's not the cost it's the charge rate, wouldn't bother if I got 7kw from it but it only gives 3.5kw so has to be charged for twice the length of time. Decided to do partial charges instead of a 14 hour single charge, might as well save a few pennies to pay the solicitor if they don't get this sorted out soon.

My MG homecharger sometimes stops charging randomly with no reason.
IMG_20200317_121939.jpg

I think the problem lies mainly with the chargers, rather than the cars in general.

Cannot get any joy out of timer charging on the BP Chargemaster/MGZSEV. It seems that OHME have been working on software that will allow other chargers to use it's software. I have contacted OHME to see if they are working on software for the BP Chargemaster charger.
I will report back with any news

Please advise on update required, my mgev only charges with the doors locked.
will Chargemaster work on timed charging
thanks

Please advise on update required, my mgev only charges with the doors locked.
will Chargemaster work on timed charging
thanks
Currently, Chargemaster doesn't seem to be working on timed charging at all. They are supposedly working on a fix. Having said that, yours sounds like it won't work on timed charging with any brand if it needs to be locked for charging to start. You will need to contact your MG Dealer for definitive information on what needs to be done to allow your car to charge unlocked on AC as it depends on what updates, if any, your car has had since the original firmware that came with the cars when they were first manufactured.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom