British Gas EV Driver Tarrif

drivethru

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi All,

I am thinking of switching to this tarrif. I have a easee one charger on my new MG4. When I tried applying for the Octopus Intelligent tarrif, I got the message that It was not available for me.

I am looking at the british gas ev driver tarrif which has better rates tham the octopus go tarrif. It also gives one hour more off peak usage than Octopus Go.

I just wanted to ask if anyone is currently using this tarrif and if they would reccomend it?

Hi All,

I am thinking of switching to this tarrif. I have a easee one charger on my new MG4. When I tried applying for the Octopus Intelligent tarrif, I got the message that It was not available for me.

I am looking at the british gas ev driver tarrif which has better rates tham the octopus go tarrif. It also gives one hour more off peak usage than Octopus Go.

I just wanted to ask if anyone is currently using this tarrif and if they would reccomend it?
I’ll be going into the BG EV tariff in the next two weeks once our ZS LRT arrives and HIVE charge is installed.

But before changing, run with your current tariff for a while to ensure you will/can benefit from the cheaper night rate, running washing machines etc during the night. If you are on the BG July tariff you have time to test it out.

I also posted a link to a spreadsheet from you tube electric van man EVM, which should help. The sheet also takes into account the daily charge and how much you load shifts to night tariff. Note there is a slight error in the spreadsheet, which is easily corrected.

Hope this helps .

Thanks, this is helpful. Do you know if having the Hive EV charger is a condition to be on The British Gas EV Tariff?

I have a easee one charger

Thanks, this is helpful. Do you know if having the Hive EV charger is a condition to be on The British Gas EV Tariff?

I have a easee one charger
No the Hive charger is not a condition of their tariff, should work with any charger.

BUT , the British Gas smart meter is!!
They didn’t tell me I had to find out, I have an Octopus gen2 smart meter right now, which for some reason BG told me on the phone was not comparable!!!. Meters being changed over in two weeks time, at no cost.

Note: BG are short on labour, they had one no show last week . Rebooked.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
an Octopus gen2 smart meter right now, which for some reason BG told me on the phone was not comparable!!!.
I thought the idea of SMETS2 was to make them all compatible and stop this nonsense of them keep having to swap meters.

Still, it is BG....... always were somewhat inefficient in my experince...

I thought the idea of SMETS2 was to make them all compatible and stop this nonsense of them keep having to swap meters.

Still, it is BG....... always were somewhat inefficient in my experince...
So did I, but clearly not the case. 😫

As has been said elsewhere, electricity prices are in flux at the moment so don't tie yourself down until they've settled.
I've just changed to E.ON's EV tariff. It has no penalties for leaving but is subject to price change. I also have a Zappi charger so when Octopus finally supports it I might consider changing.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom