There are a few EVSE units out there that rely solely on connection to manufacturers servers in order to work. Its a dangerous position to get into, you're completely vulnerable to the manufacturer. Whilst not EVSE equipment, British Gas who own Hive decided to switch off the Hive server controlling peoples CCTV systems. It rendered their system unusable with no alternative offering from BG / Hive. Anyone thinking of a Hive charger should keep this mind, in couple of years time they may well do the same to the Hive charger network.
I would suggest anyone looking for a EV wallbox should choose one that is capable of operating without connection to WiFi / Phone Line / Internet i.e. completely stand alone. The unit may also connect to the net for charging features such as Octopus Intelligent etc.

If one you see mentions Hive or BG, look the other way immediately :D:D:D:D
That’s the main reason why I bought a basic simple charger which is totally independent and more importantly it didn’t cost me £1000 and works fine on scheduled charging which the car provides.happy days.🤣🤣🤣🤣

That’s the main reason why I bought a basic simple charger which is totally independent and more importantly it didn’t cost me £1000 and works fine on scheduled charging which the car provides.happy days.🤣🤣🤣🤣
Yep thats one way to operate but then you're paying over the odds for energy :unsure: Mine didn't cost me £1000 either and I CAN access the 7.5p per kWh or less :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you’re sticking with Octopus it will have to be compatible with them. At the moment the car is not. I have a Rolec, which is not compatible ( it’s useless as a smart charger anyway!) . I charge using Octopus Agile which I find perfect for my needs.
Hi, I have a MG4 and I am about to install a Rolec QUBEV after the advice of my electrician. My aim is to get the Intelligent Octopus Plus tariff once the charger is installed. Does your Rolec QUBEV not work properly? Thanks!

Yep thats one way to operate but then youre paying over the odds for energy :unsure: Mine didnt cost me £1000 either and I CAN access the 7.5p kWh or less :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Sorry to ask but which charger do you have? I have an MG4 and I am now in the process to choose a charger to be installed and get the Intelligent Go tariff. Thanks+

Hi, I have a MG4 and I am about to install a Rolec QUBEV after the advice of my electrician. My aim is to get the Intelligent Octopus Plus tariff once the charger is installed. Does your Rolec QUBEV not work properly? Thanks!
I believe Octopus Intelligent Go is the cheapest EV charging tariff on Octopus. AS you have an MG you need a charger that is compatible with Octopus Intelligent Go. I believe this lists the currently compatible chargers: Select your EV charger

As Ched mentioned this doesn't seem to be integrated yet, so you might want to check with Octopus when they think they will integrate with Rolec.

I went for the Givenergy charger because they made our solar/battery inverter so all will work seamlessly together and in one app. Hoping it will be integrated by October so I can switch to IOG, but no guarantees from anyone.

Until Rolec are integrated with Octopus (assuming they are planning it) you'll have to use the "unintelligent" version of Go instead.

If you have solar you might want to consider whether the charger can offer solar divert as well as the other features.

The Zappi seems to have been the market leader for a while. I also like Hypervolt for its solar integration and they are planning to work with Octopus in the future. Ohme seems to be a popular choice lately and compatible with Octopus but I don't know much about them.

Perhaps there is too much choice of chargers at the moment!

Yep thats one way to operate but then youre paying over the odds for energy :unsure:

Sorry to ask but which charger do you have? I have an MG4 and I am now in the process to choose a charger to be installed and get the Intelligent Go tariff. Thanks+
MyEnergi Zappi

I believe Octopus Intelligent Go is the cheapest EV charging tariff on Octopus. AS you have an MG you need a charger that is compatible with Octopus Intelligent Go. I believe this lists the currently compatible chargers: Select your EV charger
I believe Wallbox are also compatible, your list seems to be the ones Octopus can supply.

As Ched mentioned this doesn't seem to be integrated yet, so you might want to check with Octopus when they think they will integrate with Rolec.
Or IF theyre going to link with Rolec. It would make sense to make the links with the largest numbers first, more bang per buck.

I went for the Givenergy charger because they made our solar/battery inverter so all will work seamlessly together and in one app. Hoping it will be integrated by October so I can switch to IOG, but no guarantees from anyone.
Fingers crossed, given that Givenergy already have some Octopus integration with their tariffs you would think the wallbox would be in there sooner rather than later.

Until Rolec are integrated with Octopus (assuming they are planning it) you'll have to use the "unintelligent" version of Go instead.
Or sell the Rolec and install a compatible unit.

If you have solar you might want to consider whether the charger can offer solar divert as well as the other features.
The leader of the pack on this one is MyEnergi Zappi with EDDI for divert. With current pricing though solar integration is better not to use, export all what you generate at 15p and then buy it back off peak at 7.5p

The Zappi seems to have been the market leader for a while. I also like Hypervolt for its solar integration and they are planning to work with Octopus in the future.
Any particular feature that Hypervolt offers over MyEnergi?

Ohme seems to be a popular choice lately and compatible with Octopus but I don't know much about them.
Yep, Octopus have worked with Ohme before Zappi, seem to be compact units, work well etc.

There could NEVER be too much choice.

From what I’ve read here. Looks as though I’ll be going with Zappi and writing off my losses with EO. Made an expensive mistake there. Product which becomes obsolete and non repairable after only four years doesn’t give any faith in their product.
Can I suggest that before taking these steps you give the citizens advice (CAB) a call. Regardless of guarantees I believe that you can get refund up to 6 years after purchase if item can be demonstrated not fit for purpose (and as its broken without spares you most definitely can). I did this with Samsung re an expensive TV and got full refund (they were trying to give me the old out of guarantee tosh until CAB got involved). You have nothing to loose and they will guide you through the process and supply template letters. You can threaten them with small claims court etc, CAB will explain it all to you. Meanwhile you can continue with the new replacement.

The Zappi seems to have been the market leader for a while. I also like Hypervolt for its solar integration and they are planning to work with Octopus in the future. Ohme seems to be a popular choice lately and compatible with Octopus but I don't know much about them.

Thanks so much for all the answers, what a great forum!
I have not found What is the "unintelligent" version of Go tariff?

Do you know why the Rolec QUBEV is not compatible with the MG4 but it is compactible with an ID4? That makes me guess that the MG4 connectivity is not as developed as other cars...

Thanks again all!

I don’t call 9 p a kWh paying over the odds do you
It is if you can get 7.5p per kWh.

Those penny-ha'pennies add up you know :)

1713860963455.png
Halfpenny (Wikipedia)

I believe that it's a fixed period of time per day. Whereas the intelligent version typically has other periods outside these fixed ones when the tariff is also cheaper. Obviously, that's when Octopus knows or guesses that energy will be cheaper in those additional times. In addition, once you set it up, the intelligent version talks to your charger and organises it all for you, other than plugging in the cable (maybe Intelligent Octopus Robo 🤖 in a year or two 😊).

IOG users, please correct me if I got that wrong.

Last edited:
I believe Wallbox are also compatible, your list seems to be the ones Octopus can supply.
I wasn't sure they are still available. Thanks for the info.

Do you know why the Rolec QUBEV is not compatible with the MG4 but it is compactible with an ID4? That makes me guess that the MG4 connectivity is not as developed as other cars...

Thanks again all!
I think it's called Octopus Go and the off peak is 9p/kWh.

I believe the way Octopus intelligent go works is that either the charger or the car needs to be compatible with their telling it when to charge. I believe that the ID3 is a compatible car so it will work with Octopus Intelligent Go (OIG) so it works on any charger. The MGZSEV isn't compatible as a car so you need a compatible charger to get the OIG tariff.

As far as I know MG have locked down the software so only they can 'talk' to the cars. My guess is that MG won't invest in software more than they absolutely have too - but it is a great budget car.

The EV charger I bought for my MG4SE over 3 years ago is MRCARTOOL which is tethered with 8 1/2 metres of cable, is a 7kW 240 volt indoor or outdoor for under £300 and it works fine. The car decides on scheduled charging when it can charge on cheap rate ie 9 pence per kWh with Octopus go. I even put my washing machine and dishwasher on cheap rate too. HAHA If that helps. Hope someone finds this useful.

Thanks again all!
Yes it is a great forum!

There are two versions of Octopus Go - Standard/Original/(dumb?) and Intelligent.

I imagine almost any charger would be fine for the standard Go tariff but you mentioned Intelligent, which only works for a few cars (not MG, but VW) and a few chargers (not Rolec at present).

The issue is not with the proposed car and charger, it is that Octopus Intelligent requires communication between Octopus and the car/charger (and for Octopus to control the charging). This takes time because the Octopus engineers have to build the software and everything to link the charger to their "kraken" energy system.

Kraken controls our house battery updating the settings every 30 minutes or so - it is an amazing thing!

@sapixx - do you still have the ID4? I don't know how it works if you've got one compatible car and one non-compatible car. You might then be able to get the intelligent tariff but you should check with Octopus whether there might be problems charging the MG.

Last edited:
The EV charger I bought for my MG4SE over 3 years ago is MRCARTOOL which is tethered with 8 1/2 meters of cable, is a 7kw 240 volt indoor or outdoor for under £300 and it works fine.The car decides on scheduled charging when it can charge on cheap rate ie 9 pence per kWh with octopus go.Ieven put my washing machine and dishwasher on cheap rate too. HAHA If that helps .Hope someone finds this useful

I'm new to all this... the way it's looking, I might even stick to my current 3-pin charger, save £1,200 (on average) for a 7kW charger installation, change to overnight EV tariff 8-9p per kWh and yes, also use it for overnight laundry, etc..

Guess it's different for every one of us depending on how and for what we use our cars ...

There could NEVER be too much choice.
The worry with too many is that a) some will go bust or get taken over and stop supporting their chargers and b) Octopus doesn't have the engineers to integrate with them all.

Any particular feature that Hypervolt offers over MyEnergi?
Not aware of the features, just that it seemed to have the same sort of features, looked nicer and was cheaper when I was looked (before the Givenergy one came out). The prices might have got closer together since.

Yes it is a great forum!

There are two versions of Octopus Go - Standard/Original/(dumb?) and Intelligent.

I imagine almost any charger would be fine for the standard Go tariff but you mentioned Intelligent, which only works for a few cars (not MG, but VW) and a few chargers (not Rolec at present).

The issue is not with the proposed car and charger, it is that Octopus Intelligent requires communication between Octopus and the car/charger (and for Octopus to control the charging). This takes time because the Octopus engineers have to build the software and everything to link the charger to their "kraken" energy system.

Kraken controls our house battery updating the settings every 30 minutes or so - it is an amazing thing!

@sapixx - do you still have the ID4? I don't know how it works if you've got one compatible car and one non-compatible car. You might then be able to get the intelligent tariff but you should check with Octopus whether there might be problems charging the MG.
Hi,
I do not have an ID4, it was just an example to show that there are some cars (like the iD4) that can get the intelligent tariff with the QUBEV charger and other cars not (like the MG4).
I have only an MG4 Long Range. Happy with the car but still learning how to deal with the electric part of the car. I am doing about 100 miles per day and sometimes up to 200miles so I need to charge it everyday.
My issue with the "unintelligent" tariff is that if the battery is nearly empty and I need to make 200miles I will not be able to fully charge the car with the reduced tariff as the 9p tariff is only for 4hrs.

Clearly it's different for every one of us depending on how and for what we use our cars ...

Hi,
I do not have an ID4, it was just an example to show that there are some cars (like the iD4) that can get the intelligent tariff with the QUBEV charger and other cars not (like the MG4).
I have only an MG4 Long Range. Happy with the car but still learning how to deal with the electric part of the car. I am doing about 100 miles per day and sometimes up to 200miles so I need to charge it everyday.
My issue with the "unintelligent" tariff is that if the battery is nearly empty and I need to make 200miles I will not be able to fully charge the car with the reduced tariff as the 9p tariff is only for 4hrs.

Clearly it's different for every one of us depending on how and for what we use our cars ...
Ahhh I see now.

Yes, MG and Octopus have not integrated their systems, so it has to be done via the charger.

IOG is a better tariff than standard OG, so do go for a compatible charger.

Can you ask your electrician to quote you for an Ohme and Zappi? (go for the Zappi if you have or intend to get home solar)

Hi,

British Gas is doing midnight to 5 am at 7.90p and 29.65p peak... best to shop around, I guess

British Gas is doing midnight to 5 am at 7.90p and 29.65p peak... best to shop around, I guess
Yeah, but a smarter charger will be compatible with IOG plus all non-Octo tariffs in the future.

Worth spending slightly more to get a higher quality charger I think - more future proofed.

Ahhh I see now.

Yes, MG and Octopus have not integrated their systems, so it has to be done via the charger.

IOG is a better tariff than standard OG, so do go for a compatible charger.

Can you ask your electrician to quote you for an Ohme and Zappi? (go for the Zappi if you have or intend to get home solar)
what is the advantage of having the charged compatible with home solar? I do not have solar panels but not sure why is important to have the charger integrated if I install them in the future. Apologies as I guess this can be trivial for the people who has solar panels...
My understanding is that the power from the solar panels will be stored in a home battery and from there you use it at home or you sell it to Octopus/NG/SP... I guess that the compatibility would be to connect the battery directly to the car but not sure.
Thanks again!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom